What's in your tool kit?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: What's in your tool kit?

What's in your tool kit?

Well, I am down to the short strokes with regards to making upgrades to putt-putt..... I am "gifting" them to myself for xmas and my buddy Steve, who keeps all of my mechanical stuff working for me, will do a complete install in his shop after xmas. My intention will be to hold the "dumb" end but pay attention.......

My next project is to put together a tool kit for putt-putt. Ideally something that would fit in a tool tube and any spare parts that are considered "must have"...... ie levers, spark plug, etc......this way I will do it right the first time!

TIA
    ejfranz, littletommy and maddawgj like this.
    putt-putt

My toolkit consists of a 10,000 mah battery charger, a cell phone and a crisp $100 bill. Never failed me no matter the vehicle.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

I've got small tire spoons from Procycle, medium sized adjustable wrench, small vise grip, small allen wrench kit. screw driver with several different slide in attachments, extra master link and of course leave the tool kit that came with the bike in place.
    On my front rack I carry a small Slime compressor with patch kit and a small bottle of slime - always have a charged cell with me and a GPS. I know I'm forgetting something in the tube ......

I'm thinking of adding a hammer except when riding with Admiral - he always has several along.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A lot of the perceived “must haves” can be left behind if bike is properly prepared and one is simply play riding and not on a long distance expedition.
    A good sealant like RideOn in the tubes can often solve punctures without need for patches, compressor, pumps, spoons, spare tubes, etc. Besides, who here honestly has successfully repaired a flat rear tire of a TW in the field?
    Similarly a properly adjusted chain in good condition with a properly installed master link will have you wondering why you have been hauling around an unused master link for so many years.
    A good set of tightly installed hand guards coupled with slightly loose perches for clutch and front brake master cylinder will greatly lessen probability of a broken lever. Perches should be able to rotate if given strong blow.
    If you like to carry a bunch of gear then the weight up high on your back or a rack somewhat increases probability of a fall; traveling lighter can equate to traveling safer.
    I have seen more TW trailside repairs needed due to broken over-loaded racks and rack attachment points than actual failures of the TW proper. So carry something to jury-rig a broken rack trailside like bailing wire and/or tape.
    Fasters can vibrate loose despite attempts at good preparation so I recommend carrying and a few spare common nuts and bolts.
    So what else do I typically carry? Stubby flex head 1/4 ratchet with deep 10mm and 12mm sockets, long strong zip ties, tow rope, an additional spare fuse, a CO2 inflator plus cartridges.
    This leaves room for non-tool personal safety, signaling and survival gear to endure a more serious problem.
    I can hike a good ways in adventure boots and with the proper clothing and some food & water I feel my welfare is not totally dependent on a working motorcycle. And if I am lucky very occasionally there may be cell phone service to call for help
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Nice post Fred. I learned a few things like not over tightening the perches. Mine are movable now and I was going to tighten them up more, not now.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Something to remember. A dirt bike can carry you in one hour further than you can walk in a day!

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    Something to remember. A dirt bike can carry you in one hour further than you can walk in a day!
    Haha, that is why I sold my skidoo...........the conditions are much worse in winter!
    putt-putt

Fred and Donzo, thanks for the great info. I would rather assemble the proper tool kit and only cry once!
    Amazing what I hadn't already thought of.........
    putt-putt

I have a zippered bag in my tool tube.

Selected items from the OEM tool kit.

Miscellaneous items in a tin in my tank bag.

and some assorted items in zip lock bags.

I'm able to do the regular maintenance and small repairs as necessary. Here is Mrs Trip doing a WalMart oil change. "Can you hurry it up, please? You still have my bike to do..."

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Nice Roadetrip, everything looks great including I believe snap-ties however where is the big roll of Gorilla Duct Tape, lol?
    Duct tape and snap-ties have always been my number one and number two go 2's.....lol
    Thanks for sharing bro!
    putt-putt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links