Tw200 goes straight
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I just got a 2009 RW200 with less than 300 miles. Have only ridden it a coupla' times and am beginning to like it. But, it seems to want to go straight more than any other bike I ever had or ridden. Have to really lean in to turns. I figure it might be the large tires. Has anybody else noticed this? Straight is good except when you want to turn. It set up in a storage building for 3 years and I wonder if something in the forks needs greasing, or is this just its nature? I'm 69 but I'm gaining nerve about laying it down. Would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks,

Van McIntosh

Troy, NC 27371

I think thats true. You just got to go ahead and lean into it. More tires mean more grip. Goodluck
    I got granny gear haha...

i have found with the big knobbly tires it has a tipping point, where it leans over onto the next ridge of knobs..

scary the first few times i felt it. it was way more noticeable after i pumped up the tires hard for the road.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, I think I remember having to push harder to get it to lean. It may be possible you have a flat spot worn into a tire but I doubt it with so few miles.

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

You should also consider the possibility of damaged steering head bearings. This is highly unlikely with less than 300 miles on the bike, but you just never know (I have seen it on 1200 mile bikes, and have also seen 10k mile bikes that don't have the issue and have never been repaired). I think it may result from people attempting wheelies and having the front end "slam" down.

Anyways - jack up the front of the bike so the tire is off the ground. Turn the handlebars and see if there is a "notch" in the straight-ahead position. If so, you'll want to replace the bearings.

Good luck

John
    '87 Street Tracker / Scrambler - hollow mod, underseat exhaust, vintage tank, custom seat

'95 Offroader - D606 front, Bighorn rear, Cyclerack, 14/63 sprockets

something very easy to check to that affected my steering: tire pressure. when i got my bike it was really low for off road, on road it was hard steering til i pumped them up.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

The best answers have already been mentioned. Given the age of the bike, just make sure you have enough pressure for on road travel. A low tire will wear a flat spot quick on pavement, and it will wanna naturally settle upright. You will have that tipping point on knobbies as well so be easy there. Steering bearings came to mind right away, but I'd make sure you're okay on tires first.

If you're primarily on the road, get a set of the street tires for it. Handles like a dream with those things on there and I've survived well on mild offroad stuff with them as long as I'm not flying through the trails.

Another vote for tire pressure! I have only put a few miles on my recently acquired TW but it turns better than many bikes I've ridden. I bet 9 out of 10 times that heavy steering is due to low air pressure.

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Vanmack, I'd have to say that it's something unusual with your bike, I'd certainly check tire pressure first. I'm assuming you have the stock tires - I hear the Duro Power-Grip ATV tire makes it a bit tougher to turn. I traded my Honda Shadow 600 for my T-Dub, I live a mile of twisting roads from and a thousand feet above my nearest pavement, and that is a very twisty county rd too narrow for center line paint. I ride to town at least every week and my 2012 handles on the roads as well as or better than my Shadow did.

I didn't really notice this, but my wife sure did. She got on it and rode around the yard. She had trouble steering, and couldn't make a right turn at all.

That's why she calls the TW Elle, (as in "L") since it only wants to go left.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links