What would you expect or do
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have been utillizing this site for alot of good advice for my 03 T-Dub so I thought I would ask for opinions on another matter. Here we go.

I dropped my 2011 Ford F150 off at the ford dealer for 15000 mile service. At about 1030AM I get a call from the service manager stating that they wrecked my vehicle and plan to fix it with all new parts. ($4000 in damage). Probably young employee in a hurry and wasn,t listening to the back up sensor but he mashed the rear bumper hard enoung tp put a crease in the bumper bending it into the rear quarter wrinkling the drivers side bed. (accidents do happen believe me I know...) Anyway as most are aware the truck will never be the same no matter how good the repair. IT'S WRECKED. What would you expect from the dealer to make this good...New Truck, service vouchers, Nothing...? I am not looking to get anything more than I had but I really do not want a vehicle (Most expensive I have ever owned) That has been wrecked and repaired for the next 10yrs. As always thanks for any thoughts and opinions....

I'd find out how much it would cost the dealer using OEM parts to fix the truck like new. Then use that total towards the purchase of a new truck. Do the two things seperate with out letting on what you plan to do.

I'd get an insurance agent down there that can survey the damage, maybe at another shop. I'm sure the dealer can make it good as new, but whether or not they will is the issue. Just get someone else in to survey the damage first.

Look at it this way; if you damaged someone else's vehicle and had a business to run, the option of cutting corners to save your paycheck would probably come to mind, would it not? Trust is the issue, to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman393 View Post
    I have been utillizing this site for alot of good advice for my 03 T-Dub so I thought I would ask for opinions on another matter. Here we go.

I dropped my 2011 Ford F150 off at the ford dealer for 15000 mile service. At about 1030AM I get a call from the service manager stating that they wrecked my vehicle and plan to fix it with all new parts. ($4000 in damage). Probably young employee in a hurry and wasn,t listening to the back up sensor but he mashed the rear bumper hard enoung tp put a crease in the bumper bending it into the rear quarter wrinkling the drivers side bed. (accidents do happen believe me I know...) Anyway as most are aware the truck will never be the same no matter how good the repair. IT'S WRECKED. What would you expect from the dealer to make this good...New Truck, service vouchers, Nothing...? I am not looking to get anything more than I had but I really do not want a vehicle (Most expensive I have ever owned) That has been wrecked and repaired for the next 10yrs. As always thanks for any thoughts and opinions....

Hey Fishman. I spent 20 years + in the legal profession as a litigation investigator. Legally, all they are responsible for it to repair the vehicle to its previous condition and to compensate you for the inconvenience of being 'truckless' for a time - cash or loaner truck. That said, I doubt you will be able to successfully negotiate for a new truck, but I would certainly talk to them about getting routine maintenance for three years or so - that would take you to 60k based on your current mileage.

Regarding it "will never be the same", it probably will be. a rear quarter panel/tailgate/bumper hit is about as good as it gets if you have to take a hit at all - assuming the frame's not bent and the axle's not involved - that it just sheet metal - there is really nothing back there to bring you grief so far as long term electrical or mechanical gremlins. I know you'll KNOW it's been wrecked and that may give you some bad vibes, but it's really a minor, albeit expensive, repair.

Good luck to you.

Get everything in writing. Include your expectations about the repair.

Be careful letting the dealer "fix" it if you have any reservations about them.

I believe you have the right to have it fixed where you want it fixed. You don't have to let the dealer that caused the damage repair the damage in their shop.

Once bitten here!

All good responses above, Flingwing is right, they dont owe you a new truck. They are liable under "Garagekeepers" as the vehicle was in thier care, custody and control when it was damaged. Do you trust the dealership to make it right? If not, Bullspit is dead on. You DO NOT have to let them repair it. Make a claim on your own insurance and get it done wherever you want, the dealer owes the bill (or your insurance Co. will recover it from them if they pay). Again, go take pictures, get EVERYTHING in writing. While the repairs are being done, they owe you a like/kind loaner truck. And as was said, you can pad on a little "loss of use/inconvenience" in the form of cash (wont be much) or maybe they'll throw in a years supply of those green tree air fresheners. Its totally repairable and should be good as new. Life goes on...
    Those who forge their swords into plows, will plow for those who do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Flingwing View Post
    ...Legally, all they are responsible for it to repair the vehicle to its previous condition and to compensate you for the inconvenience of being 'truckless' for a time - cash or loaner truck. That said, I doubt you will be able to successfully negotiate for a new truck...
    Yeah, that's my experience.

If the repairs are done right, you shouldn't even be able to tell it was in a wreck. I had work done to a ten year-old pickup which involved replacing a quarter panel and when they were done, it looked better than before. That was done by an excellent old-school body work man though. He used to paint show cars. I believe it took him four days of trial and error to exactly match the paint color.

You will take a hit on re-sale though because now it will always show wrecked and repaired on Car-Fax. That could be a negotiating tool for the service Flingwing mentioned, or I'd try to negotiate OEM parts costs at dealer cost -- for life. (I do so hate dealer parts costs...)

Good luck whatever you decide. I've really only had one nice new vehicle and I would have been very upset had someone damaged it.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Quote Originally Posted by retmotor View Post
    You will take a hit on re-sale though because now it will always show wrecked and repaired on Car-Fax. That could be a negotiating tool for the service Flingwing mentioned, or I'd try to negotiate OEM parts costs at dealer cost -- for life. (I do so hate dealer parts costs...)

I suppose he knows one place that couldn't make haggling excuses when he went for a trade in now.

Well I appreciate all the input. I spoke with the dealer again today and here are the offers. They will fix it in shop and not turn it into their insurance company so there woud be no report to car fax.....However this concerns me because of the lack of paper work mentioned above. Along with this the dealer is offering some sort of service plan. Or they stated they would replace my 2011 truck with a similiar truck (no 2 tone paint) if I pay an additional 4500. Now what do you think>>>>> My truck has 16000 miles on it. I can tell you what my wife will say.....

Forgot to mention the replacement truck would be new 2012.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links