Can I Do It?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Can I Do It?

Can I Do It?

I'm retired and have more time on my hands than mechanical ability. I'd like to tear down my 2002 TW and paint everything. Is this something I can do? Suggested tools? Instructions/photos/videos?
    littletommy, Badgerflorida and Ken like this.

Sure, you can do it!

Here's what I would do. Get a note pad and a pen. Write down the sequence that you remove things, such as 1. Remove seat, 2 Remove gas tank, etc. Use your phone or camera to take pictures before and after you remove something, this will help greatly with things like wire and cable routing. Bag and tag parts with their respective hardware, such as foot pegs, carburetor, etc., to keep from things from getting mixed up.

And just remember, if it came apart then it will go back together. Just reverse the order that you disassembled it.

Good luck and we are here to help you if you get stuck or have any questions.
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 12-15-2017 at 12:28 PM.
    littletommy, Joemama, Mel and 16 others like this.

I did it about 6 years ago myself. My main worry was putting the electrical harness back the correct way. I labeled what & where all the connections went too as TW-Brian has suggested. All this so I could repaint the frame. I wouldn't take it apart again just to repaint it but it worked and I got it back together. So, yup, it can be done.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Paint?.......Just chrome plate the whole thing.

If you have to ask maybe not.
    Badgerflorida, Peterb and Ken like this.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

We don't have anyone with a TW painted like this yet...hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    Paint?.......Just chrome plate the whole thing.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

“Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right.” Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Ralberts View Post
    I'm retired and have more time on my hands than mechanical ability. I'd like to tear down my 2002 TW and paint everything. Is this something I can do? Suggested tools? Instructions/photos/videos?
    In addition to taking LOTS of photos, something I always do when dis-assembling something that complex is to put any fasteners that can be put back in or on one part or another of the sub assembly back in a few threads, including any washers and nuts. It takes a bit of extra time, but since everything is going to be apart for some time, it's a foolproof way to ensure that the right fastener goes back in the right place.

Another thought is to analyse just what really has to be taken apart to accomplish the job. I'm famous for taking something apart that I later realize could have been removed as a complete sub assembly with just three bolts! The Parts Catalog is invaluable for this.

However, this IS something I would not recommend for anyone with little mechanical knowledge or ability, and who doesn't have an extensive set of metric and other tools: Drifts, 3/8 and 1/2" Metric sockets, 3/8 and 1/2" torque wrenches, JIS screwdrivers, Metric Allen wrenches, and many other tools usually acquired over many years of wrenching. Using the wrong tool on something is guaranteed to make an expensive mess out of the job.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    In addition to taking LOTS of photos, something I always do when dis-assembling something that complex is to put any fasteners that can be put back in or on one part or another of the sub assembly back in a few threads, including any washers and nuts . . . it's a foolproof way to ensure that the right fastener goes back in the right place.
    Yes ^^^ this!

but what's a "drift?"

Do you mean "a drift pin, drift pin punch, slave pin, simply drift, or even pokey bit is the name for a tool used for enlarging holes, or aligning holes prior to bolting or riveting metal parts together?" Huh, when do you need drifts? Not being smart-alecky. I think I am middling wrench-capable this tool's not something I've felt like I needed.

ralberts one reason to undertake such a project is to you get to/have to go buy all the tools, and then you've got them! And then you can choose to work on things yourself, but you still can take 'er to the shop.

--Steve
    Badgerflorida, admiral and Ken like this.

I was hoping to do some painting this winter, but with all the rust on my bike I’m not sure I’ll get to it. So far, I’ve had to drill and tap six fasteners. I used the template at the bottom and some pencils to fart around with colors and combos. Still no clue what colors to do. Good luck with your project and post pics as you go. Don’t let my rust complaints scare you, even that stuff isn’t that bad. Cheers
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links