Your opinions on incident
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    So need your opinion about something that happened on the weekend. I had gone to a local plaza to pick up a couple things. Just got on my bike when a car pulls up an parks beside me. Â*3 guys step out laughing about something when one guy steps up beside me, in my face and says give me your ride. The other 2 had positioned themselves in front and behind me. I wasn't sure what to think at first and said what? He replied let me ride your bike. I really had nothing to reply with as I stared at him and decided to put on my helmet and start the bike. The guys just stop there and the guy says how much was your jacket. And I slowly started to move out the guy in front of me stepped aside. Â*At that point I calmly drive off.Â*

So what was this about exactly? Simple admiration of my tdub or an attempted jacking in broad daylight ? At any rate to me it was unwanted attentionÂ*

Thoughts?

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Quote Originally Posted by losttourist View Post
    So need your opinion about something that happened on the weekend. I had gone to a local plaza to pick up a couple things. Just got on my bike when a car pulls up an parks beside me. Â*3 guys step out laughing about something when one guy steps up beside me, in my face and says give me your ride. The other 2 had positioned themselves in front and behind me. I wasn't sure what to think at first and said what? He replied let me ride your bike. I really had nothing to reply with as I stared at him and decided to put on my helmet and start the bike. The guys just stop there and the guy says how much was your jacket. And I slowly started to move out the guy in front of me stepped aside. Â*At that point I calmly drive off.Â*

So what was this about exactly? Simple admiration of my tdub or an attempted jacking in broad daylight ? At any rate to me it was unwanted attentionÂ*

Thoughts?

A**holes! Glad it went well for you.

They're working themselves up to be robbers, sizing up potential victims. Had you appeared weaker to them, it may have not ended well. As they gain more confidence, they'll become more bold and more violent.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I've known young people to do things just to shake you up. I've had all most the same thing happen to me while on my bicycle. In that case I just looked the kid in the eye and said " I don't think so" and rode off. I'd like to think the sight of my powerfull body clad in skin tight spandex made them think twice but I know better.

Does Ontario have the "Stand your ground" law?

You can't hardly miss from point-blank range.

I'm a CCW holder for situations just like that. I would have slowly put my hand in my jacket pocket (where I carry when i ride) and politely advised them I dont want any trouble, but taking anything off me would be an act of agression and in fear for my life, I would "vigorously" defend myself. Basically, just try to get the hell out of there as quick as possible.

They were just punk kids probably high on something that saw an easy target (3 on 1) and were screwing with you to see what you would say and do. I'd say you did well. Gawd I cant stand punk bully thugs.
    Those who forge their swords into plows, will plow for those who do not.

Quote Originally Posted by TWisty View Post
    Does Ontario have the "Stand your ground" law?

You can't hardly miss from point-blank range.

In California, you can only defend yourself with like/kind force. Its a grey area, as three guys could EASILY beat one guy to death with their bare hands, but if none of them had weapons and you took one or more out, you might be more screwed than the original perps... If one of them brandished a gun or knife, then its a no brainer. The situations are VERY tricky and always fluid. The BEST thing to do is avoid it altogther. Situational awareness.
    Those who forge their swords into plows, will plow for those who do not.

These three black males were between 20-25 yrs old. We are not allowed to carry here only the criminals are. According to a guy here at work who knows the area well says they backed off because I showed I wasn't intimated and possibly not an easy mark. Also found out a guy was stabbed to death at same location last yr

Quote Originally Posted by losttourist View Post
    ...when one guy steps up beside me, in my face and says give me your ride...
    I should point out, by definition, that's robbery in the state of Nevada. It's a show of force used to intimidate and if the guy said, "Give me your ride." He and his buddies just committed a felony. That's not fooling around, nor is it screwing with people for fun. It's criminal. I don't know what the law is up there, but you could file a report against those turds down here.

An attempted crime and an actual crime carry the same penalty, btw.

Here's how it is worded if you're curious (emphasis is mine):

NRS 200.380 Definition; penalty.

1. Robbery is the unlawful taking of personal property from the person of another, or in the person’s presence, against his or her will, by means of force or violence or fear of injury, immediate or future, to his or her person or property, or the person or property of a member of his or her family, or of anyone in his or her company at the time of the robbery. A taking is by means of force or fear if force or fear is used to:

Obtain or retain possession of the property;

Prevent or overcome resistance to the taking; or

Facilitate escape.

The degree of force used is immaterial if it is used to compel acquiescence to the taking of or escaping with the property. A taking constitutes robbery whenever it appears that, although the taking was fully completed without the knowledge of the person from whom taken, such knowledge was prevented by the use of force or fear.

2. A person who commits robbery is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 2 years and a maximum term of not more than 15 years.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

You got lucky!! Being able to keep your cool in a situation such as that is key to survival. Here in Calif, defending yourself by any physical means would most likely put you in more trouble with the law than the perps. How you handled that was textbook! The next best thing to do if the situation had escalated, would have been to try and escape on foot. Your bike can always be repaired for much less money than your bod. Cary a cell phone with you, call 911 immediately!! One of the best criminal attorneys I've ever met said "YOU must be the FIRST one to call 911" he meant that the first one to reach the 911 operator will be the one treated as the innocent party in the dispute rather than the antagonist. Depending on the situation, that can make a huge difference. Even a witness calling 911 before you can cause the responding officers to be confused as to who started what. I know this may seem crazy, but we are talking about California. (In my case.)

I commend you for the way you handled that situation. Nuf said. m.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links