Phantom Bike Update/ Shinko 244 Report
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PICTURE: THE TW AFTER THE TRIP. FILTHY DIRTY AND A FORK SEAL IS LEAKING, BUT I LOVE IT.

Last Monday, 8/20/12, I needed to make a run up to near Lake Tahoe. A friend had crashed his Suzuki Hayabusa at Fernley Racetrack near Reno, NV. He had located an engineless replacement bike in Pasadena and he asked if I could deliver it to him. There was just enough room in my truck to include the TW. I had been planning to go up there anyway to see how well everything on the TW worked. I arrived in the wee hours Tuesday morning.

He picked up the Suzuki later on Tuesday morning, so my afternoon was free. I was staying in Gardnerville Nv., which has some great riding in the nearby Pine Nuts Mountains.

I spent four hours riding the Pine Nuts between 5000 and 6500 feet. Varied terrain including single and two-track, lots of sand including washes full of deep sand. Lots of rocks and a few water crossings. Some steep hills. That was my first time to really push the TW with its Shinko 244 and its 15/47 gearing. No issues, so the big test was on for the next day.

At 9am I was on my way up Ebbetts Pass(Sierra Nevada Mts.). I parked the truck about 2 miles off the highway at 7500 feet elevation. I had previously run the bike near San Diego at elevations near 4000 feet. I have always been a jet-changer, but at that lower elevation it had seemed perfect.

At 7500' on Ebbetts I thought it should be a bit rich so I started it from cold with no choke. It started immediately, then died. On the re-start it kept running. Obviously slightly rich, but not bad.

I pounded that bike over those trails and two tracks for 5 hours, going above 8000 feet and dropping down to 7000. I compared the TW to all of the other bikes I had ridden in those places, and for me RIGHT NOW, the TW was far superior. My conclusions are below:

SHINKO 244--

When running the OEM front tire in the mountains east of San Diego, the front end had felt skittish. I had read on this forum that the OEM front tire would do that. It did. In looking for a replacement, I relied heavily on the reports right here. Riders here praised the Shinko 244 and it fit what I wanted from a front tire. I had it mounted and reported on my two brief trips into the local mountains. It seemed good, but I was cautious in my praise. I needed a better test.

I know that the T-Dub is known for going slow, and it is good for that. Unfortunately when going slow over rough terrain the bike bounces around and is easily deflected; particularly with that OEM tire. I tried going faster and the bike stabilized to some degree, but the front end would not hold a line, creating some anxious moments.

In the deep sand washes of the Pine Nuts or the rocky trails and steep hills of the Sierras, the Shinko was flawless. It is the perfect shape for sand, and those huge knobs grab onto slippery rocks and tree roots as well as anything I have seen. One stream was about a foot deep and full of melon sized rocks. No slippage from that tire.

On a couple of steep down-hills I intentionally used a lot of front brake; something I could not do with the OEM. The grip of that tire is really good. With the Shinko mounted, whenever the bike would start bouncing around I just opened the throttle a bit. That solved the problem, just as it used to with bigger bikes when I was a better rider. Usually any bouncing around was just the rear wheel and that's not nearly as serious as the front. Easily handled. I was running 14psi, front and rear.

15/47 GEARING

I never had the slightest problem with the 15/47 gearing, but can see where it might be too tall for some riders who prefer to go slower than walking speed.

I can see where Qwerty's advice, "either 15 or 47 but not both," might be good advice for many.

Gearing is an interesting subject and I'll touch on it in a later post.

To sum up, I love the T-Dub, and if there is a better front tire for it than the Shinko 244 somebody needs to tell me about it. I doubt that it exists.

Great read man, wish I was with ya. I know that whole area pretty well myself, specially pine nut. Outstanding. I went with the Kenda 270 (yet to be mounted) with the same goals and expectations (appears they're really the same tire) so I'm stoked to see your reaction. I'm less than two hours from that area, so next time you're up, buzz me man. Love to hit it again with ya. Sounds like we're in the same boat, rode screaming beasts before. I'm with ya on the Dub... its fun to see and smell things you were too "busy" to before eh? Ride on.
    Those who forge their swords into plows, will plow for those who do not.

Thanks, Loppy. I'll do that. It's more fun riding with someone. Safer as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The one thing I did not try was really sticky mud, like red clay or adobe. I doubt if anything works well in that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom99 View Post
    The one thing I did not try was really sticky mud, like red clay or adobe. I doubt if anything works well in that stuff.
    Surprisingly the 244 does pretty well in the red clay... or as good as any dual-sport tire can. The stock rear in that stuff is horrible!
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    [quote the 244 The stock rear in that stuff is horrible!

[/quote]

Thanks for the report - it has been converted to a pdf and stored in my Mods/Tires folder. It is what I plan to buy.

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom99 View Post
    PICTURE: THE TW AFTER THE TRIP. FILTHY DIRTY AND A FORK SEAL IS LEAKING, BUT I LOVE IT.
    Regarding your leaking fork seal, have you tried one of these.

A lot of times it's dirt in the seal/wiper that causes the leak and it doesn't take much. You slip this between the tube and the wiper and run it around. It doesn't always work but a lot of times it does - I've used it with good success - and it's only $4.70 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SealMate-Too...6eb1f2&vxp=mtr

Thanks Flingwing, I'll give it a try.

Im glad to hear you like the 15/47 even at that elevation. Im going to try it out for my blue ridge trip. I will have a 50T rear in one of the boxes incase it doesnt work well but for just road/gravel im thinking it will be fine.

Excellent write-up.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links