New Owner with Questions
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi guys!

Well, yesterday was a good day! I took ownership of my first motorcycle, a 2009 TW200. Finally I can officially "join the club"! I rode it home yesterday from the PO's house, about an eight mile ride around the gorgeous mountain town of Reno, NV where I live. Now, mind you, I am a new TW200 owner and a new motorcycle rider. This was my first time on a bike on the street. I completed my motorcycle safety course a couple weeks ago and then I was on the hunt!

Anyway, the bike is a really nice 2009 Tdub, with exactly 500 miles on it when I picked it up. It rode nice all the way home, but those nobby tires on the road feel a little weird. If any of you recall my previous posts on here, I fell in love with the TW200 when I was in Japan in 2010, and since returning I have been bent on getting one and customizing it Japan style. For now though, I want to get comfortable on the bike and learn as much as I can about it.

Now, the previous owner said it will be due for its first break in maintenance here soon. I have a lot of shade-tree experience with working on cars, but this is my first bike. I would assume the maintenance is pretty easy though. I will be getting an owner's manual and reading it front to back. Anyway, here are some questions I have:

1) Regular or premium gas? What do you guys run? I want my Tdub to run good and last a long time, but if premium doesn't do anything for the bike, I will stick to regular.

2) Oil, what is the best brand/weight you guys recommend?

3) In general, what should I inspect or have inspected by a shop? Since the bike is a few years old and I really don't know its history, I want to make sure everything is in peak shape.

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now. Any pointers are much appreciated. I'll post some pics in here really soon.

Thanks - Bart

1. Stick to regular, you don't need higher octane, try to find non ethanol fuel if you can.

2. You will get ten thousand oil recommendations, I say pick a well know brand of your choice in 10-40 or 20-50 synthetic and don't give it another though.

Make sure it is for bikes with a wet clutch. Also look at the sticky about the oil filters, there are some out there that were not made correctly (missing holes) and you will seize your motor if you install one of these by accident.

3. Download and print the technical manual and supplement from the tech section of the forum and print out the pages as needed. If there is something specific you need help with ask here and you will get it. There are a lot of sticky post full of tips and advice, read them all.

Congrats on your TW, welcome to the club!
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Hi guys!

Well, yesterday was a good day! I took ownership of my first motorcycle, a 2009 TW200. Finally I can officially "join the club"! I rode it home yesterday from the PO's house, about an eight mile ride around the gorgeous mountain town of Reno, NV where I live. Now, mind you, I am a new TW200 owner and a new motorcycle rider. This was my first time on a bike on the street. I completed my motorcycle safety course a couple weeks ago and then I was on the hunt!

Anyway, the bike is a really nice 2009 Tdub, with exactly 500 miles on it when I picked it up. It rode nice all the way home, but those nobby tires on the road feel a little weird. If any of you recall my previous posts on here, I fell in love with the TW200 when I was in Japan in 2010, and since returning I have been bent on getting one and customizing it Japan style. For now though, I want to get comfortable on the bike and learn as much as I can about it.

Now, the previous owner said it will be due for its first break in maintenance here soon. I have a lot of shade-tree experience with working on cars, but this is my first bike. I would assume the maintenance is pretty easy though. I will be getting an owner's manual and reading it front to back. Anyway, here are some questions I have:

1) Regular or premium gas? What do you guys run? I want my Tdub to run good and last a long time, but if premium doesn't do anything for the bike, I will stick to regular.

2) Oil, what is the best brand/weight you guys recommend?

3) In general, what should I inspect or have inspected by a shop? Since the bike is a few years old and I really don't know its history, I want to make sure everything is in peak shape.

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now. Any pointers are much appreciated. I'll post some pics in here really soon.

Thanks - Bart
    )

Here are all the manuals you'll need, downloadable.

http://tw200forum.co...repair-manuals/

1. Regular fuel as all you need, unless you get pinging, then jack up the octane 1 notch (or change brands)

2. I use Amsoil 10w40 and I'm happy with it. Most recommend a full-synthetic oil but one post I read likes the Yamalube semi-synth. There are lots of posts on the subject. I did notice better shifting after changing from Yamalube to Amsoil.

3 There are posts on buying used bikes and what to do to it. In general: Change oil/filter, change plug, replace chain with a good o-ring chain, check tire air pressure, shouldn't need to adjust valves with only 500 miles on it, clean and oil air filter.

Search the forum for links to your questions - there are lots of them. Enjoy that bike! BTW, I spent 4 years in Reno as a boy, junior high and 1 year at Reno High (1962).

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome. Regular gas works fine. Mobil one 4t sythetic (takes just a tad over a quart so get 2). You should be able to do the work on bike, pretty simple bike and good one to learn on. Just read up on the this forum.

Ridden my Tw in the Reno area a few times when the GF was doing the bingo thing at the Nugget. Try Moonrocks OHV first, pretty easy sand which is great for honing your skills and forgiving when you fall. When you get better hit Hunter lake trail, not for a beginner (nice sized rocks to crawl over so good engine shield a must) but quite scenic and I would love to get back there if you need someone to ride with. There is another spot near Verdi call bull ranch something and is between CA/NV border but haven't ridden that yet (next time up). Let me know of any other riding spots in your area that you know of and we can ride them next time I'm in the area. PS: keep your bike a trail bike... Get another one or different bike for the street....lol
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Make sure your oil has the JASO specification. Any "motorcycle" or "ATV" oil should have this spec.

Congrats, you'll like it. Everyone is on track with their recommendations. Also just to highlight the correct oil filter as mentioned, and when you/if you change your own oil, not to forget to loosen the oil bleed screw to ensure flow. Re-tighten after flow is verified. You'll find this info in the manuals you can find in the posts mentioned above located on this forum.

One other thing, you may want to get in the habit of checking bolts/nuts/screws to make sure they still are secure. I had a top motor mount bolt come loose and was sitting on top of the cylinder head once. Now I check my stuff routinely.

Have fun!!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Congrats, you'll like it. Everyone is on track with their recommendations...
    Yup, and welcome to the forum.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    One other thing, you may want to get in the habit of checking bolts/nuts/screws to make sure they still are secure. I had a top motor mount bolt come loose and was sitting on top of the cylinder head once. Now I check my stuff routinely.

Have fun!!

Great advice there - especially the last part - Have fun!!

Thanks, guys!!

Yeah, Reno is a great trail town, been to Moon Rocks, Dog Valley, Hunter Lake, all that, but not on a bike!! I'm a big 4x4 guy, but I have obscure taste I guess, as I am an Isuzu geek. I love the old Japanese 4x4s (and bikes too). So to be perfectly honest, I am TOTALLY torn as to if I will definitely do a Japanese street tracker mod to my Tdub or leave it trail ready. I kinda want to do something inbetween. But I very well might need 2 bikes! (The wife is gonna kill me).

I won't be rushing into anything either way. I want to get good and comfortable on this bike.

What about changing out the knobbies for some nice Bridgestone TW tires? I really like the look of those tires and knobbies I hear aren't so great on the street. I would imagine the knobby tires are better for trails, but...

Anyway, thanks, I have downloaded and printed the shop manual and supplement. I'm having trouble with the owners manual though, seems to lock up my Adobe Reader. I'll keep trying though.

I'm a pretty active forum member once I get into something, so you guys will probably see me on here a lot.

Thanks!

Bart

Just another quickie, I got the owners manual PDF to open, but I cannot print it, because it is a "secured" PDF. Is there another one I can download so I can print it? I like to have manuals in paper form for working in my shop.

Thanks - Bart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links