• 10 Post By topherztoyz
  • 3 Post By rmartin
  • 3 Post By peruano
  • 1 Post By RockyTFS
  • 1 Post By rmartin
  • 1 Post By peruano

Thread: 3 time TW owner

3 time TW owner

I have been looking for a newer TW with lower mileage the last couple of years. I spent a little more than I wanted, but it is two years old by vin, but one year old by title.

It was a titled 2017 with 448 miles when I gave him the cash. It was only 8 miles from me here in Quartzsite out in the desert. I co7ldnt believe it.

I check Craig’s list every day, and I found it within 19 hours of when it was posted.

He was asking $4000, I offered him $3600. He wanted $3800. I had lined a same bike up for $3400, but it was 300 miles away. I told him I would have already bought it, but I could not find a small U-Haul in the area.

I told him I would give him an extra 200, which I guessed my expenses would be. He took the offer.

It is hard to believe how tight and smooth things are on a bike that is that new.

I did have to go to MDV twice 35 miles away as he signed the title with his middle initial in it, which is not on the printed title. MDV would not accept his signature and I had to look him up to get a notorised signature then. Lucky he was only 8 miles from the house.

So I ended up driving140 miles to get it anyway.

Now I can work on the older TW and still have one to ride.

Wifes says why do you have to have so many. I told her you have more than one crotchet needle don’t you.

The other two 2008 has 12300 miles while the 2009 has 16300 miles. They both need a little massaging.

"Wifes says why do you have to have so many. I told her you have more than one crotchet needle don’t you."

Easy there... getting close to the red-zone.

"Helps save $$ on insurance" is a good one.
    "More reliable"
    etc.

It's a sickness....a disease....I must have more than one TW.....I must have more than one Moto Guzzi. lol It's cause I want one or two or three.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

girlfriend said it was her or my TW's so I dropped her off and picked up a pair of TW's on my way back
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Nice!! I just bought my 1st TW.. I have had lots of dirt bikes, but have not ridden 2 wheels offroad in awhile. I picked up a 2000, with 1,500 miles. taking it out to ride Sunday... Chris.. Phoenix.

Well, I have ridden it 100 miles now, plus over 100 on the old bike now.

Wanting to take the new TW on a longer ride, but wanting to check to see how far I get before I have to switch to reserve.
    Last edited by rmartin; 01-16-2018 at 01:36 AM.
    Ken, littletommy and maddawgj like this.

Riding it gently you might get as much as 100 mpg so let us know how you do. And how much you get in it when you fill it up.
    littletommy, maddawgj and Ken like this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Well, I've never gotten 100 mpg, but I have gone 105 miles before reserve, which I think equates to 90 mpg. This was with a short 8 mile stretch at 60, then mostly 35 or so.
    I have also seen mileage as low as 55....wide open on the 4 lane. I found tire pressure has a large effect on pavement....if I'm going to the dirt and run 12/14 on the highway at 60, I see 55 to 60 mpg...once I get to the dirt, tire pressure doesn't seem to have much effect on mileage below 45 on hard pack...still roughly 80 to 90 mpg.

If I need to ride more than 5 to 10 miles on pavement to get to the dirt, I leave the tires at 16/18 unless I am dealing with really rough tracks or sand, bleed some pressure, then accept the worse mileage on the return.
    Ken likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I couldn’t take it anymore. I could bare hear it in the tank, and couldn’t see gas either so I filled it up.

110 miles got 1.3 gallons in it. That is 84.6 mpg. Being the first test, next time I will take some fuel with me, so I know when I actually hit reserve.

I forget, is it at 1.4 gallons when you switch?
    Ken likes this.

On a new to you bike, its nice to determine that reserve even exists at all. True scenario: if the filter screen on the main outflow of your petcock vibrates loose or is missing you can draw gas all the way down to the reserve without feeling a stutter. And when that is gone, so is the power. All bikes with any mileage on them deserve a petcock inspection or at the very least to be run until they run dry on the main setting, and then run a bit further to prove they still have gas available. If you want good measures of mileage capability, its best to carry that small container of gas (a quart oil bottle is perfect and resistant to breakage and wear) and run it absolutely dry after going onto reserve. Or if you are just interested in the top of the tank, run it till it coughs on main, add a known amount of gas, and scurry to the gas station to fill (accounting for the bit added) to determine exact amount used to reserve. Oh damn, you probably should have written down the mileage when you started! Enjoy the ride.
    Cascade Rider likes this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Sponosred Links