Decent deal?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Decent deal?

Decent deal?

Hey guys,

I do not have much experience with motorcycles but have decided that I want one, and I think that a TW200 will be a great first one. Looking to use it 95% offroad, and have been checking craigslist/classifieds and found one with some potential that I would like to hear opinions on. I have attached pics. It is supposedly a 1991 with 3000 miles. The colors do not seem to match up with other 1991 models. Two owner, the first owner owned it its whole life and was a mechanic who kept it in tip top shape. Current owner (owned it for under 1 year) has got it for 1500 but I am trying to get it for 11-1200. Anything I should look for specifically? How good of a deal does this sound?

Thanks for any and all help!
    tw1.jpg tw3.jpgtw2.jpg

Well, that rear tire looks like it has more than 3K miles on it.

It has a dual rear sprocket mod, which is pretty cool.

It has a home-brew high front fender mod, using the stock fender.

Turn signals have been removed.

First impression... I think that someone made this in to a dirt bike, and probably rode it pretty hard.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, and if you can get it for $1200, it might be a pretty good deal!

However, since you don't have much experience with motorcycles, maybe you should bring an experienced friend with you.

Honestly, you'd probably be money ahead to spend twice as much on a newer, less ridden, less modified bike.

Good luck!
    Peterb and Purple like this.
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

Hey Zman, welcome to the forum!

You should be able to get a much nicer/newer TW for $1,500. Here's what this bike would worth to me:

-With a title and current registration $600 - $700
    -With no title or current registration $300 - $400

Good luck with your search!

Brian
    Peterb likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys! I will keep on looking and update this post with any new bikes I find to get some opinions. I will definitely meet with a trusted mechanic to make sure before I actually buy. Hopefully it does not take too long looking to buy in the next three weeks as that when I leave to go back to college.

I wish I could find a used bike for less than 2k around here

1991 did have two colors, Purple and Black which this does appear to be. Any TW owner can buy a cheap take off speedometer and slip it in place in just a few minutes. That bike looks more like 15K miles or more to me from here. You should fill in your profile so we know what state you are in and can guide you to decent deals. I am in complete agreement with TW Brian on this one. I think if the bike has been registered and inspected annually there should be a record of the actual mileage on it. Dual sprockets are a cool upgrade but could also indicate rode hard and put up wet a lot.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    1991 did have two colors, Purple and Black which this does appear to be. Any TW owner can buy a cheap take off speedometer and slip it in place in just a few minutes. That bike looks more like 15K miles or more to me from here. You should fill in your profile so we know what state you are in and can guide you to decent deals. I am in complete agreement with TW Brian on this one. I think if the bike has been registered and inspected annually there should be a record of the actual mileage on it. Dual sprockets are a cool upgrade but could also indicate rode hard and put up wet a lot.

GaryL
    Thanks looks like I will be passing. Found another one if I could get some input. 2005 with 1700 miles, was sitting for a long time then recent owner just got it running again. Heres some pics. Got him down to 1800 but could probably get him to 1500, but its an 8 hr round trip drive away. I can ask for more pictures as I really want to make sure it is good before I drive all the way up there. Thanks again!11.jpg22.jpg33.jpg44.jpg

It is a 2006 and not 2005 but looks like a much better prospect. It could also just have a 2006 tank on it.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Other than looking a little dusty and the seat coming apart I think I'd do that drive for $1500.00.
    Of course pictures don't tell you everything, after a long hibernation "running" is subjective. Did the seller drain the tank (look in there for rust, clean/rebuild the carb, change the oil, etc.)?
    Take the ride ask a lot of questions and bring some cash. Put $1300 in one pocket and $200 in the other.
    GaryL likes this.

That one gives a much better first impression, for sure!
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links