Removing rust?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Removing rust?

I have a bit of rust forming on my handlebars, and was just curious on what you folks use to rid it

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    I have a bit of rust forming on my handlebars, and was just curious on what you folks use to rid it
    If your bars are chromed, and the rust is light, I have had good success with chrome polish, available at auto parts stores. This stuff takes it off and leaves a coating. You can wax over the cleaned bars when done. Heavy rust needs to be wirebrushed down smooth, then neutralized with something like Rust Buster - it converts the rust to a harmless phosphate that acts almost like a primer and can be painted over. I've used it on a lot of vehicles with great results.

Badgerflorida likes this.

This stuff is similar and easier to find, Krud Kutter. http://www.amazon.com/Krud-Kutter-Ga...sxp_grid_i_1_1. It's costly but it works great, even on very rusty stuff. The other stuff is an Australian product that's tough to find.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Great advice Flingwing.. Dusty Bottom the key ingredient is Phosporic acid that converts rust from Iron oxide to Iron phosphate.. The products you(Flingwing) mentioned are good and it doesnt take much of it to do the small jobs like the T-Dubs!There is another product I have used a few times that works well and is readily available at Home Depot called..Kleen Strip Prep and etch.. Its like $16 a gallon. That should last you a lifetime..You should find this in the paint dept..
    AKA..."The Dustyfilter"Hidden Content
    89 T Dub.10k all original...so far Hidden Content

Naval jelly
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyfilter View Post
    Great advice Flingwing.. Dusty Bottom the key ingredient is Phosporic acid that converts rust from Iron oxide to Iron phosphate.. The products you(Flingwing) mentioned are good and it doesnt take much of it to do the small jobs like the T-Dubs!There is another product I have used a few times that works well and is readily available at Home Depot called..Kleen Strip Prep and etch.. Its like $16 a gallon. That should last you a lifetime..You should find this in the paint dept..

Excellent price. I'm certainly going to buy a gallon. With a '74 10,000 gvw Power Wagon and a '75 Jeep CJ-5, a gallon is about a week's supply for me.

For phosphoric acid, I use Ospho. I had to order it from Do It Best. Apparently phosphoric acid is on the EPA's hit list. It's getting hard to find as a metal prep or a stain remover (concrete). Odd that's it's still OK to put phosphoric acid in make up and sodas...

I believe I remember reading that once you open a container, it has a shelf life. If you're buying in large quantities that may sit for a while, you may want to confirm or deny this.

Reference link: http://www.doitbest.com/search-ospho.dib (Do It Best ordered the full amount, let me buy four quarts, then sent the rest back.)
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Quote Originally Posted by retmotor View Post
    For phosphoric acid, I use Ospho. I had to order it from Do It Best. Apparently phosphoric acid is on the EPA's hit list. It's getting hard to find as a metal prep or a stain remover (concrete). Odd that's it's still OK to put phosphoric acid in make up and sodas...

I believe I remember reading that once you open a container, it has a shelf life. If you're buying in large quantities that may sit for a while, you may want to confirm or deny this.

Reference link: http://www.doitbest.com/search-ospho.dib (Do It Best ordered the full amount, let me buy four quarts, then sent the rest back.)

Wow! Looks like great stuff ret, but (also Wow!) I thought $36 a gallon was high but since you have to buy multiples, that's mighty pricey stuff!!! Makes me kind of want to think of my rust as "patina".

I work at a independent NAPA store and we sell skyco. Anyone I've ever sold it to comes back and tells me it's worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenwingsmmm View Post
    I work at a independent NAPA store and we sell skyco. Anyone I've ever sold it to comes back and tells me it's worked great.
    Skyco is the company that owns Ospho. Great second endorsement and nice to know there is another source for the product. I used to buy my stuff at the local Tractor Supply but they don't sell the good product anymore, opting for a "green" product. I tried the new politically correct product and it didn't work at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links