Removing rust?
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Removing rust?

  1. #1
    Member drs6222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    67
    I have a bit of rust forming on my handlebars, and was just curious on what you folks use to rid it

  2. #2
    Senior Member flingwing1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    I have a bit of rust forming on my handlebars, and was just curious on what you folks use to rid it
    If your bars are chromed, and the rust is light, I have had good success with chrome polish, available at auto parts stores. This stuff takes it off and leaves a coating. You can wax over the cleaned bars when done. Heavy rust needs to be wirebrushed down smooth, then neutralized with something like Rust Buster - it converts the rust to a harmless phosphate that acts almost like a primer and can be painted over. I've used it on a lot of vehicles with great results.



    Badgerflorida likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member flingwing1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Posts
    374
    This stuff is similar and easier to find, Krud Kutter. http://www.amazon.com/Krud-Kutter-Ga...sxp_grid_i_1_1. It's costly but it works great, even on very rusty stuff. The other stuff is an Australian product that's tough to find.
    Badgerflorida likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member JBme63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Graham,Wa
    Posts
    50
    Great advice Flingwing.. Dusty Bottom the key ingredient is Phosporic acid that converts rust from Iron oxide to Iron phosphate.. The products you(Flingwing) mentioned are good and it doesnt take much of it to do the small jobs like the T-Dubs!There is another product I have used a few times that works well and is readily available at Home Depot called..Kleen Strip Prep and etch.. Its like $16 a gallon. That should last you a lifetime..You should find this in the paint dept..
    Badgerflorida likes this.
    AKA..."The Dustyfilter"Hidden Content
    89 T Dub.10k all original...so far Hidden Content

  6. #5
    Senior Member PalmStateCrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cayce, SC
    Posts
    3,109
    Naval jelly
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

  7. #6
    Senior Member flingwing1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustyfilter View Post
    Great advice Flingwing.. Dusty Bottom the key ingredient is Phosporic acid that converts rust from Iron oxide to Iron phosphate.. The products you(Flingwing) mentioned are good and it doesnt take much of it to do the small jobs like the T-Dubs!There is another product I have used a few times that works well and is readily available at Home Depot called..Kleen Strip Prep and etch.. Its like $16 a gallon. That should last you a lifetime..You should find this in the paint dept..


    Excellent price. I'm certainly going to buy a gallon. With a '74 10,000 gvw Power Wagon and a '75 Jeep CJ-5, a gallon is about a week's supply for me.

  8. #7
    Senior Member retmotor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Southwest
    Posts
    566
    For phosphoric acid, I use Ospho. I had to order it from Do It Best. Apparently phosphoric acid is on the EPA's hit list. It's getting hard to find as a metal prep or a stain remover (concrete). Odd that's it's still OK to put phosphoric acid in make up and sodas...



    I believe I remember reading that once you open a container, it has a shelf life. If you're buying in large quantities that may sit for a while, you may want to confirm or deny this.



    Reference link: http://www.doitbest.com/search-ospho.dib (Do It Best ordered the full amount, let me buy four quarts, then sent the rest back.)
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

  9. #8
    Senior Member flingwing1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by retmotor View Post
    For phosphoric acid, I use Ospho. I had to order it from Do It Best. Apparently phosphoric acid is on the EPA's hit list. It's getting hard to find as a metal prep or a stain remover (concrete). Odd that's it's still OK to put phosphoric acid in make up and sodas...



    I believe I remember reading that once you open a container, it has a shelf life. If you're buying in large quantities that may sit for a while, you may want to confirm or deny this.



    Reference link: http://www.doitbest.com/search-ospho.dib (Do It Best ordered the full amount, let me buy four quarts, then sent the rest back.)


    Wow! Looks like great stuff ret, but (also Wow!) I thought $36 a gallon was high but since you have to buy multiples, that's mighty pricey stuff!!! Makes me kind of want to think of my rust as "patina".




  10. #9
    Member chickenwingsmmm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    68
    I work at a independent NAPA store and we sell skyco. Anyone I've ever sold it to comes back and tells me it's worked great.

  11. #10
    Senior Member flingwing1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwingsmmm View Post
    I work at a independent NAPA store and we sell skyco. Anyone I've ever sold it to comes back and tells me it's worked great.
    Skyco is the company that owns Ospho. Great second endorsement and nice to know there is another source for the product. I used to buy my stuff at the local Tractor Supply but they don't sell the good product anymore, opting for a "green" product. I tried the new politically correct product and it didn't work at all.




Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Removing sidestand spring
    By TWisty in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-17-2012, 12:23 PM
  2. removing the carb
    By zoolander in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 06:53 PM
  3. Outdoor Storage and Rust Prevention
    By rtbuckingham in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 04:22 PM
  4. rust in fuel tank
    By demarko69 in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 06:01 PM
  5. Removing the rear tire
    By mga60tw in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-22-2010, 05:39 AM

Search tags for this page

does tractor supply sell ospho rust perventer
,
getting rust of tw 200
,
home depot carry ospho
,
krud kutter for concrete forums can it be used on car rust phosporic acid
,
krud kutter versus ospho
,
naval jelly shelf life
,
ospho phosphoric acid shelf life
,
ospho shelf life
,

remove rust from tw200

,
shelf life of ospho
,
yamaha tw200 shelf life
Click on a term to search for related topics.