TCI Skid Plate, anyone know of, or building similar... have extra?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: TCI Skid Plate, anyone know of, or building similar... have extra?

TCI Skid Plate, anyone know of, or building similar... have extra?

Wondering if we will see the TCI Skidplate again, or is there a "just as beefy" alternative. Anyone building to order? I have seen MSR & Ricochet online, wanting a bombproof, IED "rated" version.

OR
    Anyone sitting on a New Old Stock, or good shape TCI Kit that is getting dusty? PM me if I can talk you out of it. If anyone has a link/website of something overkill out there, please share.

Thx all
    littletommy likes this.

those are rare birds and nobody wanted to pay Sunshine Mfg the $250 price back when they had them so I don't think there are many out there

I've tried to buy 2 or 3 TW's all in the Boise area by coincidence that had the TCI plates but could never get there in time before they all sold

only one on ebay in the past 3 years but it went for $89

If somebody started making them I bet they could sell a bunch around $150 now that the TW world has realized they want them

Problem is the MSR - Ricochet is 100% bulletproof for $89 so thats some tough competition
    Ken, putt-putt and littletommy like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

So if I have to settle for one of the current options, are there pros/cons of each mentioned?

Will either of these two options strengthen my frame like the TCI would have...
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I don't think the TCI would strengthen the frame from what I can see it did have some side case protection in the rare crash where your TW would land hard on it's side. One of the original beta testers and his wife did have such a crash in rocks and they both swear buy the TCI design. MSR Ricochet is equally as tough and still offers some side protection due to it's ear design. I likes the TCI pan but honestly the metal side protectors seemed a bit complicated as in lots of mild steel fabrication and welding that might have been done better with aluminum or stainless plate extensions. I've toyed with the idea of designing a better skid plate but I keep coming back to how MSR Ricochet pretty much hit the home run in a simple economical design. It's like doing a remake of a Beattles or Zeppelin song it's already been killed so one can only do worse lol

Now don't get me started on racks while cycleracks and even Happy Trails started a great product I do think there is room to greatly improve and build a bulletproof rear rack
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

I have the Richochet plate and can't imagine needing anything beefier. Also if the plate had "ears" that curved up further on the sides than the Ricochet getting to and opening the oil drain plug would be difficult. I have the ricochet and a heavier longer shifter and getting to the plug is tricky - I put the bike in 5th gear and have just enough room to get in to the plug. Would hate to have to take the plate off every oil change, I'm lazy!
    admiral, putt-putt and littletommy like this.

I love my Ricochet, and I wish I would have gotten it sooner.

I think it does strengthen the frame. I like how it "locks" into the frame when it is installed. I have no concerns with hauling my TW when it is resting on the Ricochet (Ultimate MX Hauler).
    maddawgj and littletommy like this.

The Ricochet does sit better on platforms like the Ultimate MX Hauler.
    The TCI offers better side protection but at a cost. Oil cooler line routing and oil changes get more involved with the TCI and imagine it traps a lot more mud and debris behind those side protecting grills we crave.
    Still the reported incidences of damaged engine cases with, or without, only the Ricochet are very few. I recall only one reported on this forum and it was not on a TW. Stock TW skid plate actually is a well engineered lightweight shock absorbing design. Those seeking greater side protection can look into Yamaha XT350 and larger stock skid plates. One of my TWs is so equipped, I see no need to replace it with a smaller ricochet aftermarket unit.
    littletommy likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

You need to talk to John at JNS. Perhaps he will make you one.
    littletommy likes this.

Anyone know if the Moose plate is the same thing as MSR Ricochet?

Xracer, is John here on the forum, or does he make a custom plate for TW's?
    littletommy likes this.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Yes, Moose is the same as the MSR. It is a fine plate.

John is on the forum as JNS Engineering. They don't make a plate for the TW, but they certainly have the capability. Here is the thread he started for the headlight... https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...light-kit.html

Here is the JNS website: JNS Engineering - Providing Skid Plates, Fender Braces, Foot Pads, and Radiator & Oil Cooler Guards to the KLR and DR650 Community.
    Tweaker, Xracer and littletommy like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links