Looking at getting back on a TW
Close

To sum up my story real quick, I miss my tw. About 4 or 5 years ago I bought my first street legal motorcycle (had been riding a bw200 around for along time before), a 2000 tw with about 300 miles on it for $1700. I rode the tw for about a 5000 miles and decided I wanted something bigger, so I sold the tw (for a profit) and bought a Suzuki S40. Had suzi for about a year and was never really satisfied with her. At 5'11'' 195lbs it was just a little small for me, although a great bike. One day I stumbled across a H-D xr1200, probably one of the sweetest bikes ever made. Sold the s40, and fell for an xr1200, and rode it till I was scared of it (6000ish miles). I still have the Harley, and really love it, but I really do miss my old tw. Currently I have the Harely for sale on craigslist, hopeing to get rid of it, buy a tw, and tour the country on it. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm aware of what the tw is and isn't cabeable of. Sorry for the rabling/spelling mistakes. A photo of my current Harley (sweet sweet bike) and my old t-dub (sweet bike).

Tough decision. I completely understand your situation. So much, that I just went out and added to my own stable. I have two 'dubs, and they're both just a lot of fun to ride. However, two TW200's for one guy is one too many. My son has taken one of them out occasionally but he'd have as much or more fun on a YZ85. He's young, likes to go much faster than a TW allows, and doesn't pay for his own doctor. Privilege of youth.

I love bombing around on my '06 but I recently starting wishing I had just a little more power. I spent some time looking around and had a few different bikes lined up to check out, and then my new bike appeared yesterday on the local Craigslist. Over my budget, but calling my name. "Snoopaloop," she called to me. "I am yours. Come and take me." I loaded the ramp in the truck and high-tailed it to her location. Haggled, bargained, and cajoled until my name was on her title. She's a little bit fugly, kind of like my TW, but she's all mine.

Point is, I can see getting rid of one TW, but I think I'll hold on to the second. I took the Duc out for a spin and she is just an absolute rush. BUT, I anticipate days where a mild-mannered little 200 could be just the ticket for a casual cruise, or a quick spin through the woods. For the money, you just can't beat a TW as a fun alternative, especially if you can afford two bikes.

If you could find a good deal on a TW, why not keep the 1200? You know you'll look back in 5 years and ask the same question that you're asking right now about the TW. You called it your "sweet sweet bike" (observe the two "sweets" relative to the single "sweet" you called the TW). The only rational decision is two bikes.

Opinions?

Snoop

LOVE the TW! You can't always go Low & Slow. But, when you do NOTHING beats the tw!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Holy cow, Low & Slow. You have a TW for easy riding, and a Diavel for time travel? That thing goes zero to Mach 2 in, what, 4 seconds?

I consider my Ducati to be a toy. I use the TW as a tool. It's my Leatherman bike. I just keep finding more things I can do with it.

That Diavel looks absolutely EVIL! I want to ride it!
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Hmm, okay maybe I'll just go terribly in the hole and have 2 bikes. Double insurance, maintenance on 2 machines, and keeping tags up to date, probably all worth it in the end.

I say get the TW. Touring the country is not crazy. With out a doubt, my favorite motorcycling experiance is riding the Trans American Trail, on the TW. I currently have 3 bikes in the stable, the last to go will be the TW!

Sarcasm noted.

I apologize. I made a bad assumption. I figured that you already had the "expensive" bike so adding a TW wouldn't be so bad.

Here's where I get myself into trouble. I can justify anything. I tell myself that the reduced mileage on bike #1 (HD 1200) lowers my maintenance costs and decreases my depreciation. Insurance and tags are cheap for a TW and worth a few other sacrifices. TW's are popping up for around $1000 and won't lose any value if given even a token amount of upkeep. If I sell bike #1, I'm going to have to pay tax on it again in two years when I realize that I shouldn't have sold it, plus I'll take a hit on the sale now since we're headed into winter (from a Michigan perspective).

I'll admit that I'm using the "new" math. It's pretty fuzzy and I might be skewing my numbers, but it all adds up in my head.

Regardless of your decision, I'm glad you're still riding. That's really the point, right? Good luck with your choice.

If I had to choose between the HD and the TW, I'd go with the TW.

After reading what I wrote it does seem like I sorta came across as a jerk. I apologize.

Well went to the dealer today, said they'd get me a brand new 2012 OTD for 3800... I don't think I can beat that price. Time to save a few dollars or sell the boat or something. Two bikes in the stable in my future.

Sponosred Links