A Samurai and a Tdub!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: A Samurai and a Tdub!

A Samurai and a Tdub!

My desire has been to flat tow my 1988 Suzuki Samurai and carry my Dub... After some mod's to the Zuke I finally have had time to do a dry run!

I installed a heavy duty bumper that has a hitch receiver......
    I installed a HEAVY duty rack to the roof of the Zuke....

My goal was to be able to support the cycle rack and Dub from rocking and swaying via the roof rack.

Son and I got the Dub on the Rack and played with different tie down points. He is a dirt bike rider and use to do competition etc. He's racked up bikes on almost everything so at least I had experienced help.

After securing the Dub I drove the Zuke and he followed... I intentionally found some abrupt rough terrain and did not drive the Zuke like it had the Dub on the back. Son followed in his vehicle. I could see the Dub via the rear view mirror so when I hit the rough terrain I watched to see if there was any unusual movement as did my son.... We observed nothing... Whooohoo..
    I drove at various speeds and jinked the steering to induce sway.. Yes there was some but it just felt like my truck when I have my 4000 lb camper on the back...So I feel comfortable with the weight back there.

After the driving test we came back and moved the cycle rack forward about 6".... Figured the rack did not need to be back there that far. I can still get the rear door of the Zuke open enough to get something out of there with the Dub back there.

Now hopefully we will make Moab this year...

0112181553.jpg

0112181552.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jtstdub; 01-19-2018 at 12:45 PM.
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

The picture posting is really rocky and flakey. Sorry, it just sucks. I had no option to go advanced but the posting menu looks like it is already advanced... I clicked on the manage attachments and tried to select files on my computer... It just sat there.... I tried again several times and finally it took..

Now I notice that when I reply to the thread I see that I can go advanced... Weird.

I know this should be in the post picture problem thread but just wanted to post it here too.

Jim
    grewen and Cornelis like this.
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

No worries - tried uploading a pic from my pc last night using advanced - just got a text link - seems to be intermittent (the worst kind of fault)

If you look on the site help and support board, there's a request to duplicate it, which I'll try and do later - for the moment, it's that time of the month for a bath ......
    jtstdub and Miaugi like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    ....... it's that time of the month for a bath ......
    I see.....you or the bike....or both?
    maddawgj and Purple like this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

When you say "flat tow" you mean like the picture below with the TW on the back of the Zuke like the dry run correct? I hadn't heard the term flat tow before is why.

TopPredator likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    When you say "flat tow" you mean like the picture below with the TW on the back of the Zuke like the dry run correct? I hadn't heard the term flat tow before is why.

Yep, you got the idea... Flat towing is the term used for that type of towing a vehicle:

We call the vehicle being towed a Toad...heeyaa!

https://www.google.com/search?q=flat...w=1379&bih=793

Jim
    admiral and TopPredator like this.

Love the toad. Had one (or three) for a while but not the coveted hard top. I've been thinking about doing something similar with the CJ7. Nice work. Thanks for sharing.
    TopPredator likes this.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Some the land yacht RV folks also refer to the flat towed vehicle as a "dinghy".
    TopPredator likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Nice... I had an '86...also the JX (the Cadillac version...with the steel top..and carpet...). Moved to the other side of the country with it..and an enclosed u-haul dragging along behind it. Just a short little drive...5314 kms. Pretty sure that included 1,576,892 shifts.
    maddawgj and jtstdub like this.

JtsTdub:

Nice rig! I have a 2001 Bigfoot 10.6 on the back of my 99 F250 Dually conversion. Really like the rear bumper setup, custom one off?
    jtstdub likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links