Rear Tire
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Rear Tire

Rear Tire

How many have actually changed the rear tire and what year was it? I just removed my 1987 tire and it had to be cut off but not before I screwed up the rim (dented) with the spoons. Are replacement rims available?, what a nightmare the tire was stuck to the rim and breaking the bead took a 2X4 and both me and my wife to get the first side broke. it shouldn't be this hard, I am bummed.

Chip.
    Ken likes this.

I just completely removed the rear tire on my 02 to remove a dent the previous owner placed in it with a sledge hammer while trying to break the bead. Hitting it to break the bead was no use. I found that if I worked around the tire about halfway and then back again, and slowly inched the bead toward the middle of the rim I was able to make headway. It finally popped off. Otherwise it was a real pain.
    Ken and maddawgj like this.
    1972 Yamaha DT 175, 1974 Kawasaki 125, 1976 Suzuki TM 250, 1979 Yamaha 750, 1977 Husquvarna 360, 1979 Husquvarna 250, (2) 1980 Suzuki RM 400’s, 1971 Husquvarna 400, 1983 Honda V65 Magna, 1987 Suzuki 230 Quad, 1987 TW200, 1990 TW200, 1996 Honda XR 650, 1998 Yamaha 300 King Quad, 2000 Harley Davidson Heritage, 2006 Kawasaki KLX 250s, 2007 Arctic Cat 650 Quad, 2010 Polaris Sportsman 850 Quad, 2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Quad, 2002 TW200, 1995 TW200, 2008 TW200, 2016 TW200.

I usually do my own tires, in case of the TW rear, I spent the $25 to have it done. At the end of the day, unless you have the tools (bead breaker at minimum), it is a tough size to change at home. I have done tire changes on every bike I have owned and even did the front on the TW before quickly realizing it was not worth the frustration and potential for damage!
    Last edited by Mattwings; 01-21-2018 at 07:10 AM.
    Ken likes this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hi Chip,

Sorry to hear about your tire mounting problems. I know my limitations and just pay someone to get my tires mounted.

The rear wheels are the same for all TW model years, except for paint colors (most years are silver, a few are black). The rear rims are steel and can take quite of pounding if you want to try to smooth out those dents. I have a rear rim leftover from a trailer wheel conversion. It is not in great shape but may be better than yours. So let me know if you decide you want to replace yours.

Brian

IMG_2711.jpg

I bought a cheap ass chy-knees bead breaker from Harbor Freight. It was a pain to get it to work on the TW rear wheel and I needed a long pipe extension for extra leverage. It finally worked but I can't recommend it. Spooning the tire off and on is also a challenge. Front wheel is so easy by comparison.
    TW-Brian, Ken and maddawgj like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I spent a couple of hours today fixing the rim and I think it turned out great, I'm cleaning it up and changing out the bearings and seal and fixing a couple of rust areas on the tube side. I will be taking it in to the local shop to put the tire on, if it was the summer and I could use the sun to heat the tire I would give it a go myself.

I normally don't give up but I think this is the right move.

Brian- Thanks for the offer, last night I was bummed and would have taken it in a second, I'm glad I spent the time to rework the one I have.
    If you ever want to get together for a ride I am game.

Thanks all,

Chip.
    TW-Brian, Ken and Fred like this.

If you even decide to tackle this one yourself in the future there are a couple of tools that i own made my Motion Pro that make the job easier. The first is the "bead popper" Its like 8 bucks or so and it looks like the pic below. Its basically a wedge that you drive between the rim and tire with a mallet. It works great.

The other tool is the bead pro lever set also by Motion Pro. These are a lot more expensive but are compact enough to pack on the bike as well. Here is a video of them in action that i put together a while back.
    Ken, Mattwings, admiral and 4 others like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

I put mine in a Greenerd arbor press....It has a ships wheel so it goes quick and is effortless.
    Ken likes this.

Ken
    The first few times I just used a C-clamp and broke the beads loose, that works great but it takes a pretty good sized C-clamp. I bought the Harbor Freight bead breaker and it is quicker but you have to position it well and move it around sometimes in a few spots before it actually breaks the bead. I have changed about 3 of the rear tires. The rear tires are thick and stiff which does make them a little more difficult. I have about 18" or 20" car tire tools I use. I would hate to have to use smaller ones. I usually lay the tires in the driveway and let them heat some to help them mount easier. If they are cold, as mentioned above they are much more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by lbxr View Post
    I put mine in a Greenerd arbor press....It has a ships wheel so it goes quick and is effortless.
    How about a picture of this setup?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links