New TW OWNER WHAT'S NEXT
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: New TW OWNER WHAT'S NEXT

New TW OWNER WHAT'S NEXT

Ok just picked up a 1992 looks pretty much unmolested. Other than the usual stuff you need to check or do like changing oil grease. Fix things PO's have totally hosed That kind of reg maintenance.

On the TW is there some special and or specific things that should be done to make sure
    On a ride you don't get stranded 100 miles from nowhere?

Just for an example on the KLR 650. If the dohicky (they actually call it that) is not fixed or changed you can drop a tooth on the timing chain it's got something to do with the chain adjustment.

Is there any must do's I should be "doing"????

Thanks in advance
    Dman
    littletommy and Ken like this.
    DMAN

TW200D

HODAKAS, 950 KTM ADV, YAMAHAS

"EVERY SOLUTION IS THE SEED OF THE NEXT PROBLEM"

YOU CAN HAVE IT GOOD, FAST, OR CHEAP = PICK 2

IF ITS GOOD AND FAST, ITS NOT CHEAP. IF ITS GOOD AND CHEAP ITS NOT FAST, IF ITS FAST AND CHEAP , ITS NOT GOOD.

Welcome, we now have another Idaho rider!
    No inherit weaknesses in the TW. Simply address good maintenance as you have mentioned and don't forget to fill up with gas.
    As a preventative measure I would remove and ensure cleanliness of gas tank and carburetor and install a small inline right angle fuel filter when re-assembling. Clogged fuel passages seem to be the major source of trail side stoppages as opposed to broken chains or engine components.
    The kick starter is a nice back-up to cover most electrical maladies like leaving the key on, or having a weak 1992 battery.
    A better than stock front tire can help prevent crashes 100 miles from home too.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Set the bike up so you feel comfortable on it. Taller handle bars if needed to allow for standing and larger foot pegs make for a more comfortable ride.
    And as Fred mentioned a good front tire.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I am in Pocatello where do you hang your helmet?

It does need new tread, I have been researching that issue pretty limited on rear but I have a D606 that should work pretty good on the front. I want to get more juice from the alt I really like the heated vest and grips but it looks like even with led lights all around I will still be short some watts I have not found a thread yet that tackles a stator implant up grade.
    DMAN

TW200D

IF ITS GOOD AND FAST, ITS NOT CHEAP. IF ITS GOOD AND CHEAP ITS NOT FAST, IF ITS FAST AND CHEAP , ITS NOT GOOD.

Should have said "Fred" where are you? Somewhere in Idaho I take it.
    DMAN

TW200D

I'm about 570 miles SW of Pocotello on lee slope of Sierras straddling California/Nevada border.
    However we seem have to increasing numbers of Gem State riders this last year. Idaho must be good for TWs. First TWs I ever saw were high above Stanley on a nasty single track packing out a bighorn head and cape on cycle racks. "What a versatile bike" I thought.
    littletommy, admiral and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by dman33 View Post
    ... I really like the heated vest and grips but it looks like even with led lights all around I will still be short some watts I have not found a thread yet that tackles a stator implant up grade.
    I'm not sure there is a stator upgrade. However, I replaced my signals with LEDs, and pulled the low beam bullet plug from the headlight, making the high beam switch into an on/off switch. I only turn it on when on pavement. I can now run a heated vest with no problems at low RPMs. The stator doesn't really put out full juice until about 5,000 RPMs and before I did this I could run the battery down while putt putting around at 2,500 to 3,000. If you do the same you will probably have enough for vest plus grips. Another alternative is heated gloves for the TW.

I use a Tourmaster vest and I have never turned it up beyond 2. I think you could add a short wire to the low beam and get the plug down where you could reach it without removing the headlight. Then if you rode at night just plug it back in as needed. I never ride at night so I didn't bother. I've never been stopped in Idaho and I rather doubt that any cop would care if your low beam didn't work and you just said "Oops, my low beam must have gone dead, I'll get a new headlight right away"....Sir.... Gotta love Idaho!
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 01-25-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Welcome to the forum!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dman33 View Post
    Ok just picked up a 1992 looks pretty much unmolested. Other than the usual stuff you need to check or do like changing oil grease. Fix things PO's have totally hosed That kind of reg maintenance.

On the TW is there some special and or specific things that should be done to make sure
    On a ride you don't get stranded 100 miles from nowhere?

Just for an example on the KLR 650. If the dohicky (they actually call it that) is not fixed or changed you can drop a tooth on the timing chain it's got something to do with the chain adjustment.

Is there any must do's I should be "doing"????

Thanks in advance
    Dman
    Ken likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

You'll want to get adult-size footpegs and maybe an extended shifter if you are older than 13 years old.
    putt-putt, Gulfrider and Ken like this.

A better skid plate such as the thicker and much more protective aluminum Ricochet is a great option, and I'm not sure but I think it and several other TW up-grades and racks are being made in Idaho.

excalibur
    putt-putt and Ken like this.
    2010 TW 200 Dual Sport
    2017 Harley Softail Slim w/110 Cubic Inch Screamin' Eagle engine
    2005 Yamaha 450 Kodiak 4x4 Quad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links