Crossing my fingers...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Crossing my fingers...

Crossing my fingers...

...going to look at an '08 TW on Saturday.

Could be back here sooner than expected....problem is, how do you "negotiate" when your giggling like a child on the inside?
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

Went through that today myself, got him down $300 on the phone and best I could do. Fun to be excited about something. Hopfully getting mine tomorrow
    Miaugi and Peterb like this.

I hope the sales and bikes work out for both of you. I might be buying a KLR 650 on Saturday, but it is 4 hours away and I will be showing up with a trailer behind my mini-van to haul it home. It may be a dead give away that I plan on buying for full price if necessary. I'm poor at negotiating when I'm excited anyway.
    admiral and Rockit like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Just remember. Your negotiating for 20 year old technology that someone probably only paid $3900 for brand new. My 08 had a total of 450 miles on the ODO, was completely stock, and was owned by a 72 year old man who had the jetting fixed when he bought it in 09 with 150 miles on it. (try not smiling when you learn all that) I checked the inside of the gas tank for rust, which was just as shiny as the outside, and took it for a ride around his back yard. When he said $2500 I wrote him the check on the spot. Never cracked a smile.... But I'm smiling now a year later. I've also put about another $800 to $1000 into it, and have completed the "break in" 1000 miles according to the book. And yes, I'd do it all again if I could make another find like that.
    Good Luck.

OK....so what do you mean he "had the jetting fixed"?
    I never touched the jets on my '01 and it ran like a top from day one to day last....
    2008 TW200

A lot of guys richen them up a little bit to make them run a little better over all since they are leaned so much from the factory for emissions and mileage. I would like to see this topic rehashed a little here. Be great to hear exactly what worked out best for someone that made the changes and hear a description of what the improvement felt like.
    Miaugi likes this.

Depends on the bike and your riding elevation. My bike only needed the mixture screw adjusted to the much used "2.5" turns out from stock. After reading a fresh plug after a few chops and getting no ping when riding in hot weather and a full load, I kept the stock main jet. You may need to go up a size or two or down a size or two depending on your regular riding area (primarily elevation). Although the CV carbs leave a lot to be desired on throttle response, they do have some advantages when it comes to working over a relatively wide range of elevation and temperature compared to a pumper carb.
    putt-putt likes this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

I've heard these things come from the factory a little lean. Mine never needs any choke unless it's below 35 or 40 deg F. I've checked my plug and it's a perfect light tan/brown color on the insulator.

Quote Originally Posted by DougDotyTW200 View Post
    ..... I would like to see this topic rehashed a little here. ......
    This topic has probably been rehashed more than any other except oil or tires! Google Search is your friend: site tw200forum.com main jet size.
    Basically, a factory TW200 will run OK from sea level to 9,000 feet, but not optimally. Put it in the Arizona desert at 110 degrees and go up a long technical hill in first gear and you will REALLY need a 130 jet. Put one up at 8,000 feet in the same situation and you will want a 118 or 122.

I have only changed my main jet to a 122 when I'm in Colorado running above 8,000 feet. I live at 5500 and run from sea level to 9,500 with no changes. However, I only go down to the desert in winter, so never ride above 85 degrees or so there. For me, the stock main jet is nearly perfect at 5,000.
    Tweaker likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Damn....no deal today.

Bad vibe from the moment I got there...and it was strong enough to offset the giddiness.
    Claimed it was on '08 but the sticker on the frame said '02...
    Claimed the asking price was $300 more than it actually was...
    I couldn't see ANY oil in the window....NONE!

Damn....
    Last edited by TW_in_BC; 01-27-2018 at 01:57 PM.
    2008 TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links