Old guy riding clothing gear for 40-50 degrees, don't wanna look like supercross dude
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Old guy riding clothing gear for 40-50 degrees, don't wanna look like supercross dude

Old guy riding clothing gear for 40-50 degrees, don't wanna look like supercross dude

I am normally a blue jeans and t shirt and 72 degree minimum guy. But I am wanting to do a different kind of riding with the TW so today at 50 degree which I never considered since in my 20's I went out for 15 miles at 50 degrees in tennis shoes and regular jeans lined and hooded sweat shirt jacket and jersey gloves. Feet, tops of legs and hands were cold. Next will be warmer socks and hiking boots, thicker long sleeve t shirt, and my flannel lined jeans, full face helmet, and better gloves. Got all of that but gloves and helmet that are suitable. I can't find thin warm tactile feeling gloves with a good cuff locally and hard to order online, since I am fit sensative with chunky hands, looking for ideas on gloves. Also looking for lite weight comfortable helmet. If you have tried modular helmets let me hear about what you you liked or did not. Seems a must for me going in after almost never wearing one but planning to always wear one in the future on this new mini adventure bike. Kind of wanting gear that matches the simple basic idea of the TW and not be dressed like some 17 year old kid riding at the races if you know what I mean. 53 years old and don't want to look like I am sponsored by anyone let alone monster energy Drink

What is your choices for the 40-50 degree temperature and offer helmet and glove thoughts of your likes, and dislikes.. Thanks, gotta start somewhere...
    littletommy, Trail Woman and TS185 like this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

I'd consider a half helmet. They're light and you can hear your engine better if you don't have any noisier mods. The only downside is some loss of protection including your ears and little bugs getting in them. Considering this a bandana or balaclava works well. Maybe neoprene face mask in the winter. For gloves hardware stores often carry thermal/water proof work gloves so you can try them in store and they're not too expensive.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 01-28-2018 at 02:58 PM.
    littletommy likes this.

http://cyclegear.com

They have cold weather liners for gloves, head, neck, etc.
    DougDotyTW200 and elime like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Doug,
    I'm also 53 and share your sentiments about age-appropriate gear. I have two helmets - One for offroad/summer and one for off/on road that I use more when it's cold, though I prefer the dirt-style open face helmet with chin guard and goggles or sunglasses. The helmet I prefer is an O'neal Series 3 helmet. These come in black and white (I have the white one) https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/oneal-3-series-helmet, and also a Bilt Explorer dualsport helmet in black https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-explorer-helmet . Neither of these helmets will break the bank, and they have a pretty basic look.

For a jacket, I like a dualsport/touring style with lots of pockets, such as the Bilt Explorer Adventure. These have built-in plastic guards for the parts of your upper torso that stick out. I also have some waterproof pants that work well with the jacket.

When I ride on the street, I wear a chartreuse hi-vis jacket that is more of a street style. I think it's totally ugly, but I'd rather be seen than smashed.

For gloves, I found lots of options on ebay for great prices. I bought three different pairs, and I like them all.
    littletommy and putt-putt like this.

...oh, and we're not old, or we wouldn't be riding. Old is a state of mind, brother.
    DougDotyTW200 and littletommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imlost View Post
    ...oh, and we're not old, or we wouldn't be riding. Old is a state of mind, brother.
    I will check out those helmets. I have a half helmet I have worn occasionally in the past but nothing for cold weather.
    littletommy likes this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Hi-Vis armor touring jacket with lots of pockets and ventilation is my 50 degree coat of choice.
    Rider21 and littletommy like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by imlost View Post
    Old is a state of mind when riding......but not necessarily when crashing.
    Beauty is as beauty does.
    If it works good, it's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider21 View Post
    Old is a state of mind when riding......but not necessarily when crashing.
    Noted. Agree.
    I think that's why a lot of us older riders chose to buy a TW200 and not a crotch rocket.

40 years ago, I used to be very in to vert skateboarding. Though I don't do it anymore, I still get on a longboard now and then. I think our level of adventure should change as we get older, but I also think it's a sin to say you "can't".
    littletommy likes this.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    IMO a half helmet (brain bucket) is useless. There is no protection to your face and chin if you go down, and not that much to your head either. A full face helmet is by far the best, and the warmest. A balaclava will keep you toasty under the helmet. The most important thing about staying warm on a motorcycle is to block the wind, it's the wind-chill factor that gets you. Tall socks and riding pants, something that blocks out airflow, will keep you warmer than jeans, even flannel-lined ones. A good jacket will not only be insulated but will keep out all the wind. A full windshield with hand guards is the best, but we can't do that on our TWs.
    For gear - look at Leatherup.com - they have all kinds of riding apparel and really good (low) prices. I have no relationship to them but have bought all kinds of good quality stuff there at 1/3-1/2 the cost of other sites.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links