AIr Box
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: AIr Box

AIr Box

As I was preparing to replace my rusted chain with the new O-Ring I bought, I decided to do some routine maintenance.

I removed the air cleaner cover and found 2-3 ounces of water and a pile of rust.

As I was gently attempting to absorb the water and clean out the rust, I bairley touched the screen and poked a hole in it.

Anyone know a reasonably priced source to replace this screen and filter element?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Badgerflorida likes this.

I can't help you with the screen and airbox however when I got my '06 I also did some regular maintenance and I also found a couple of ounces of water in my airbox but it hadn't caused any damage. I assumed the previous owner used a pressure washr to clean it up and that is how the water got there but I was not able to confirm if that was the case. Good luck getting your bike all cleaned up and detailing the airbox.
    Badgerflorida likes this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

Look up woven wire mesh on Amazon or other vendors. Even stainless steel didn’t seem too expensive, especially since you don’t need a window size. In light of the rust you found, stainless seems like a good idea. The stock screen looks to be molded into the body, so you’d have to get clever to install it.

When I rode in a lot in the sand, we all wrapped pantyhose material around our filters. I was amazed at the durability and if I needed more airflow I would just stretch it more. But you really need to inspect it often. Cheers
    admiral likes this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I would just remove the rest of the screen....it serves as a spark arestor and is not necessary imo....Just be careful as you remove it as it wants to poke holes in your fingers.

A spark getting through the carburetor, manifolds, and the breather?...highly unlikely. It's there to support the foam filter from getting sucked in and blocking airflow.
    Peterb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    A spark getting through the carburetor, manifolds, and the breather?...highly unlikely. It's there to support the foam filter from getting sucked in and blocking airflow.
    That makes far more sense to me...
    Trail Woman likes this.

I got my new O-Ring chain installed today. Went on without a hitch.

I’m still concerned about the condition of the screen in the airbox. There's a ton of stuff behind the screen, mostly rust and pieces of the screen. The screen appears to be permenantly attached to the airbox.

Any suggestions on how to get the stuff from behind the screen?
    Trail Woman likes this.

I think it might be molded in place. If so I'd cut it out and give a super thorough degreasing and look into replacing the mesh with something rust resistant and installing it with something like JB weld putty. A friend of mine used it to make a boost bottle and it held up fine.
    Fred likes this.

It’s part of a removable piece. Mine was nasty, but cleaned up fine. I believe the mesh is molded into the piece. Removal of that piece was a PIA as there are screws or bolts that need to be removed from the back side. If the swingarm was removed or I had a lift, removal would have been much easier and my dog would not have witnessed my curse factor of 10. I can maybe get you more pics if you decide to tackle removal. Cheers
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    You sound very confident and certain of this....Are you sure?

Of course it will prevent the foam or pieces of it from getting sucked into the engine but logic dictates that it has another perhaps more important function. There may be a reason why there is a gap between the metal screen and the filter itself. Why have the plastic filter support, a gap, and then a metal screen? Certainly either the plastic filter holder or the metal screen is redundant.... Why not just use a metal screen to hold the filter?

Furthermore if you have ever seen a single cylinder engine run with the high pressure side of the carb exposed...they sometimes will spit fuel in the wrong direction, particularly during throttle transitions. This may be caused by the intake valve moving about. This wrong direction fuel flow is highly likely to be headed for the sponge like foam filter where it may reside awaiting a highly unlikely misfire/back fire. If this where to occur after a tip over or otherwise flooded engine and the engine backfires thru the carb and fails to start altogether.....it could result in a small fire in the oil soaked foam filter. This has the potential to be a bad thing....

Perhaps I lead you down this path by my use of generic terms....Instead of "spark arrestor" I should have possibly suggested that it is a backfire screen and avoided all this confusion....I just googled backfire screen and it was very informative...I stand corrected!
    grewen likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links