tire pressure
Close

Thread: tire pressure

good day everyone just a quick question is my tire pressure to high for the type of riding i am doing i have a 2010 tw200 bought used this year with 500km on it it now has 3700km on it i have gone out a couple of times with a couple of friends with there and tw200 and find it hard to keep up with them on the trail but no problem on the pavement this is my first time with a trail bike i have stock tires on front and back i have read in this form that the front tire will wash out on you and it does but will have to do for this year i have also read that some of you guys are running 12psi front and back i checked my tire pressure front was 25psi and back was 27 psi i am going out on the trail tomorrow just wondering when i get to the trail (mud water and lose gravel) if 12psi front and back would be a good tire pressure to try sorry for babbling on cheers

As long as you don't expect a lot of large rocks, 12 PSI should be ok for the trails. You will find that the bike will handle much better at a lower pressure. I like 15 PSI a lot.

I run with about 12psi front and rear for off-road and trail conditions. I carry an electric air pump and connected a power outlet so I can air the tires back up for pavement use. I won't air up if I'm only going to be on pavement for just a short distance though.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My owner's manual lists tire pressure of 18 psi for rider weight up to 198 pounds with all gear. Over that weight they list 25 psi. Obviously those are street-riding pressures to handle speed. I started off at 18 psi for both highway and off-road. Fine for highway but so-so for dirt. I weigh 175 with maybe an extra 10 pounds for gear. Last time off-road I ran 14 psi and it was better. Didn't do a lot of highway, but it felt OK.

thanks a lot guys i think i will try 14psi i am 6ft 210lbs and that battery air pump is a good idea thanks admmiral

ridgeline. Bob and I are running 18 psi in our tires on and off road which seems fine for us.Speaking for myself you are about 35lbs heavier than me.Remember we "cut our teeth" on dirt bikes so that is probably one of the reasons....and Bob is a natural and can ride the hell out of whatever bike he is on!!

Be careful how low you go on the pressure.Some of that stuff we were on last weekend was pretty knarly and you also carry a lot of extra gear(weight) on your bike.You don't want to damage your rims.Try lightening the load and taking her for a run.You will probably be surprised at the difference in the handling.Getting off the seat and up on the pegs makes a big difference also.

Just taking the panniers off mine last weekend and running the top box made a huge difference in the way my bike handled.

And remember it's not about how fast you get there it's about getting there in one piece.Never ride outside your comfort zone.

And we would never leave you behind.(not to far anyway ) Next time you take the lead and set the pace.

I tell ya after 600klms on the V-Strom Friday and around 300klms on the TW Saturday(especially that friggin pipeline) I was one hurting puppy Sunday. What is the saying "no pain no gain"
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

got back from a 220 km trip today the trip had a little bit of mud gravel and some deep mud holes i lowered the air pressure in both tires to 14 psi it seemed to make a big difference it smoothed out the bumps and made for a more comfy ride the bike didnt seem to throw me around as much thanks everyone for your input much appreciated dubster your right i slowed down and took my time we got to get out again soon and explore mooseland area look for some good fishing holes

I will be heading up to the camp in Mooseland Friday for the weekend.Drop by any-time if you are up that way.Might even be a cold one in the fridge for ya.

PS Toads is closing and having a liquidation sale.Everything in the store is 50% off.Picked up some new rain-gear and a larger windscreen for colder weather riding.Tried it out tonight.Works good ..deflects the wind over my helmet.Should come in handy now that the weather is cooling off.They still have a couple left.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

Sponosred Links