On the ride of the road out of gas....
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member chevy_lifted_4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    57
    I went for a pretty good ride today. 120.5 miles is exactly what my tw gets from full to empty. I know this because I'm on the side of the road waiting for my wife to bring me a gas can. I had the petcock turned to on, and I'm about 10 miles from home where it died on me. I turned the valve to reserve, and still nothing. I look inside my tank, and totally empty.....then I notice the little tube that sticks up for reserve is laying in the bottom of the tank on its side.......blehhh.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Phantom99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    San Diego, Calif.
    Posts
    194
    I hate when that happens. It sounds like it's time for a larger Clarke tank.

  3. #3
    Senior Member flingwing1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom99 View Post
    I hate when that happens. It sounds like it's time for a larger Clarke tank.


    . . . and a new fuel valve too!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member PalmStateCrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cayce, SC
    Posts
    3,109
    I'm guessing that it was the main filter that fell off or you would not have run out. The reserve screen is shorter than the main filter. That kinda sucks though. Get home safe.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

  6. #5
    Senior Member Dubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Posts
    583
    The reserve never did work on my 03 TW. Petcock up or down didn't matter she would run dry.I got a see through Clark and now I don't need no stinkin' reserve.I can tell at a glance just how much gas I have left.I consider it a gas tank and gas gauge all in one.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

  7. #6
    Senior Member flingwing1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmStateCrawler View Post
    I'm guessing that it was the main filter that fell off or you would not have run out. The reserve screen is shorter than the main filter. That kinda sucks though. Get home safe.
    It never ceases to amaze me how simple machines can have so very many possible failure modes.

  8. #7
    Member chevy_lifted_4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    57
    I should have been paying more attention. Guess I won't count on the reserve being there until I can get it fixed. I thought I was just getting really good mileage today.

  9. #8
    Senior Member rm_hm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Near Narrows Bridges, WA State
    Posts
    1,619
    Screen failure is another reason to add a little 45d filter on the fuel line.







    If you need to replace the whole pet**** just get a new oem one, they are under 20 bucks.



    [img]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/YAMAHA-PET****-GAS-TANK-XT125-XT200-XT250-TW200-TT250-TT350-XT350-VINTAGE-AHRMA-/01/!BldmGQ!!2k~$(KGrHqMH-CkEtsMgrfHYBLb)Mu2U7w~~_35.JPG[/img]





    For those that don't want to change tanks. A tool tube with a quart of fuel in it is cheap insurance.



    Just look for a quart bottle made for backpacking stove fuel.


  10. #9
    Member old_dual_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Northern, Indiana
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Screen failure is another reason to add a little 45d filter on the fuel line.







    If you need to replace the whole pet**** just get a new oem one, they are under 20 bucks.



    [img]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/YAMAHA-PET****-GAS-TANK-XT125-XT200-XT250-TW200-TT250-TT350-XT350-VINTAGE-AHRMA-/01/!BldmGQ!!2k~$(KGrHqMH-CkEtsMgrfHYBLb)Mu2U7w~~_35.JPG[/img]





    For those that don't want to change tanks. A tool tube with a quart of fuel in it is cheap insurance.



    Just look for a quart bottle made for backpacking stove fuel.


    i have 2 msr bottles 1 mounted all the time under my rack, the other i add to the top, when i go exploring

    makes for almost 1/2 gal total
    1999 Honda ST1100A (to go highway )

    2000 Suzuki DR650 (to go byway )

    2004 Yamaha TW200 (to go anywhere )

  11. #10
    Super Moderator goldenhtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stanwood,Wa
    Posts
    1,880
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy_lifted_4x4 View Post
    I went for a pretty good ride today. 120.5 miles is exactly what my tw gets from full to empty. I know this because I'm on the side of the road waiting for my wife to bring me a gas can. I had the petcock turned to on, and I'm about 10 miles from home where it died on me. I turned the valve to reserve, and still nothing. I look inside my tank, and totally empty.....then I notice the little tube that sticks up for reserve is laying in the bottom of the tank on its side.......blehhh.




    Mine been that way now for a couple years. I need to just break down and go get a new one. I have run dry 2 times once at 156 miles and once at 136. but I do carry my kolpin gas 1.25 on the back of my cyclerack.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

    "Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

    “I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. East Evans Creek Road to 32 Southern Oreon ride
    By Herc'sHepster in forum Trails, Off-road, and Adventure Riding
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-27-2013, 11:53 PM
  2. First off road ride
    By kgriff in forum Trails, Off-road, and Adventure Riding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2012, 07:03 AM
  3. Off road rack by Rough & Road
    By Mame Shiba in forum Performance and Customization
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 01:03 PM
  4. Where to off road
    By mike m in forum Trails, Off-road, and Adventure Riding
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-20-2011, 10:44 AM
  5. Non E-10 for off-road use only?
    By Xracer in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 07:59 AM

Search tags for this page

ran out of gas when riding and fall off

Click on a term to search for related topics.