New or used? First time TW buyer!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: New or used? First time TW buyer!

New or used? First time TW buyer!

Hi Everyone! this is my first post on here but i have been browsing this forum for a few weeks now. I have to say this is one of the friendliest forums I have been on!
    I have decided on a TW for a bunch of reason that you guys already know, mostly for my commute to work (5km) and also hunting and exploring on Vancouver Island.

I have been weighing the options on new vs used and was hoping to get some opinions. First off these bikes rarely come available used here and i am not in a position to drive off island to pick one up. I have found a 2009 recently that is in really good condition with on 3800km (2300M) on it. They are asking $3500can (2800usd).

On the other hand I can get a brand new 2018 for $5200can ($4156usd) ( plus tax =$5760can ($4600usd).

So is brand new worth twice the price? The warranty is nice but these things seem pretty solid and parts are relatively inexpensive.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    littletommy and Elvesus like this.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Go with your gut and what you feel comfortable with, but I'd go used.

Oh, and welcome fellow pacific north-westerner. Good luck with your search and decision.
    littletommy, goldenhtr and Elvesus like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Welcome to the forum!!

Sometimes with used, you get accessories that you'd end up buying later...
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That seems like a good deal on the used one if in good condition. I would go used if you have any wrenching ability.
    littletommy and goldenhtr like this.

I was looking for used when I bought my 2018(also 1st time TW owner). Of note, after tax and title mine cost me $5300USD...so good deal either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    littletommy likes this.

My Tdub is used but it's also a 4th motorcycle for me so more of a kick-around bike. I bought used.

Just based on the two prices you presented the difference is so close I'd buy the new one. And I'm saying that as a used bike and car guy.
    However there are great deals on older bikes less than half+ than a new one and these things have not changed that much over the years.
    Seem pretty dependable over the entire spectrum of production.
    littletommy likes this.

Thanks for the info guys! I am going take a look at the used one today and if its in as good shape as he claims I will offer $3000can. I think Half price of new for something with low Km and in excellent shape makes more sense to me. It gives me more money for goodies to add on! I will post pics if I get it! wish me luck!

I think service is important and if you can feel assured the seller give it it’s oil changes, then it is the bargain deal of the two options unless you just want new !!
    littletommy likes this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Welcome a board.

Having bought a new 2015...I would have preferred to wait and buy used but the chance of finding one in poor little Nova Scotia is very low. There are only 3 other members here IIRC. I would have preferred to save the money and be able to afford more mods. I also could have bought two used bikes for the price of a new TW. Otherwise it is nice to not have to be super critical and haggle and have the security to know it's new. My first warnings are replace the front tire for offroad asap and do not trust anyone to sell you the right oil filter. And prepare to have some fun at controllable speeds.

I'd kinda go with the philosophy that if you are looking used around $3500ish you are almost to the Red Zone of buying new. You are going to be buying accessories no matter what to make it better anyway.
    I love the hunt for the $2500 and less deals that do come up but not very often. willing to wait and see, you'll find one.
    I'm talking about US $ BTW.
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links