Hunting for a TW
Close

Hello!

So over the summer I rode my very first bike. My boss had a 2000-something TW200 and let me zip around his yard for a couple of minutes and I have to say, it might have just changed my life. Well, mildly at least. He shared the story of the reliability and stoutness of the TW200 and just about sold me on it. I live out in Colorado and never thought of getting a bike and I decided if I was going to, it had to be a dual-sport so I could do trail riding and the TW seemed like a perfect fit. Especially for a new rider like myself... Anyways, so I decided on a TW and I really like the idea of a front disk brake, so 2000+ it is. I've been building cars for the better part of 6 years, so I'm accustomed to getting my hands dirty but have never touched a bike before. So what I'm asking is what are some things to look for when shopping? Feel free to be as technical as possible. What sort of behavior does the bike have if the valves are out of lash? Also, what mileage would you stop shopping for a TW? Again, I'm comfortable getting my hands dirty, rebuilding a motor isn't too pressing of a task, it's the spending additional money I'm trying to avoid.

Anyways, if there is any additional information you'd like to share or any questions you have for me, feel free to speak up! From what I've seen, the TW group seems to be an awesome group of people and I can't wait to get more plugged in! (And riding for that matter haha!)

Kyle
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    2015 WR250R - Bored, stroked
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am
    Stolen - 2007 Trailblazer SS
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    1977 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710M

2 Timothy 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by kdick91 View Post
    Hello!

So over the summer I rode my very first bike. My boss had a 2000-something TW200 and let me zip around his yard for a couple of minutes and I have to say, it might have just changed my life. Well, mildly at least. He shared the story of the reliability and stoutness of the TW200 and just about sold me on it. I live out in Colorado and never thought of getting a bike and I decided if I was going to, it had to be a dual-sport so I could do trail riding and the TW seemed like a perfect fit. Especially for a new rider like myself... Anyways, so I decided on a TW and I really like the idea of a front disk brake, so 2000+ it is. I've been building cars for the better part of 6 years, so I'm accustomed to getting my hands dirty but have never touched a bike before. So what I'm asking is what are some things to look for when shopping? Feel free to be as technical as possible. What sort of behavior does the bike have if the valves are out of lash? Also, what mileage would you stop shopping for a TW? Again, I'm comfortable getting my hands dirty, rebuilding a motor isn't too pressing of a task, it's the spending additional money I'm trying to avoid.

Anyways, if there is any additional information you'd like to share or any questions you have for me, feel free to speak up! From what I've seen, the TW group seems to be an awesome group of people and I can't wait to get more plugged in! (And riding for that matter haha!)

Kyle

I've heard a figure of someone putting 90k miles on their TW if that tells you anything. There are a few decent "what to look for when buying a used motorcycle" write ups on the web I've seen. The most important thing you can check is the engine case! Check it well for any existing cracks or non factory welds that may have been made on it, if there's anything of that nature then WALK. Secondly I won't buy a bike without some kind of test drive, if they're not comfortable with it then neither am I in buying it. Check the brake life indicator on the rear and the chain adjuster position, these are items you can tell right away if you'll be having to replace. Check the steering column for play or wobble or anything like that that doesn't feel solid, also test the suspension to see if it's responsive. Look at the forks for any bends or dents as well as the rims, check all the lights, turn signals, speedo, odo, trip and the horn. Check all the rubber hoses, plastics and their connection points, the tires and the fork boots for any dry rot or old age cracking and such. My sons '01 xr80 needed all the rubber and plastics replaced cause of the age of them. Live and learn. As far as the valves go I don't know the symptoms of being out of adjustment but the adjustment job is a simple 15-20 minute deal. There's a great detailed "how to" thread of it here. Read up on some of those articles on the web, they seemed helpful and thorough to me. Other than having a mechanic check the bike out there's only so much you can tell from the superficial examination I suppose. These TW's are a breeze to work on though if need be and the price is right.

The motors are very solid. I bet the only way you would find a 2000+ year that needs a total engjne rebuild is if the owner ran it without oil for weeks. If you are a car guy you will enjoy working on the bike. I have tinkered with both and like bikes better to tinker with. Check for the usual things. Brakes, tires, chain,etc. Good luck on the search. I havent had to repair much on my 2008 yet but parts are pretty easy on the wallet.
    2008 TDUB

Sponosred Links