VanVan's EFI and or the EPA, any pressure from there to go EFI on TW soon ?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: VanVan's EFI and or the EPA, any pressure from there to go EFI on TW soon ?

VanVan's EFI and or the EPA, any pressure from there to go EFI on TW soon ?

I much prefer the TW cause i am not looking for a retro grom but this little 200cc efi semi competitor makes me wonder how long Yamaha can still get by just changing paint color. Do we know of any coming EPA change dead lines that will force EFI or are we compliant long term with our carbs and nothing coming down the pipe ??

I googled TW Forum VanVan and was surprised there was nothing I found since Sept. Oct. of 2016, about 45 days worth of small talk and then dead again. I am just kind of surprised it is not more popular with the retro styling movement and new small street bikes coming out. Mostly curious if anyone is in possession of info about EPA and the end of TW carbs. Just wierd how this bike has lasted that long with a carb.
    Ken and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    It is my understanding that as long as the design isn't touched or changed, then it is grandfathered in to continue to be sold under the EPA standards that were in place at the time. So, for the TW, the CV carb change of the model year 2001 would be applicable. Yamaha is able set the carb lean and they proclaim an estimated 78 mpg on their website, higher than any other model they offer. No regulations appear to seam to "make" them make a change, so I don't think that they will. I think sales numbers are so small that it isn't worth it for them. Never say never, I guess.

The Van Van was out of the market for a period of time, so to bring it back, Suzuki basically had to make the change to EFI to meet the newer standards for them to get it back in.

Here is a great video of Tyler, EveRide from YouTube, talking about this, and answering your questions.

- Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Great watch even if the news did seem bleak.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Forum members Phelonius and TW-Brian have some experience with his VanVan...

https://tw200forum.com/forum/other-bi...n-sidecar.html

I believe Google search is sometimes more robust than our forum search function.

From what I’ve read the VanVan is stronger on seat comfort and EFI, but weaker off road. Cheers
    Last edited by Badgerflorida; 02-17-2018 at 09:57 PM.
    littletommy likes this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    Forum members Phelonius and TW-Brian have some experience with his VanVan...

https://tw200forum.com/forum/other-bi...n-sidecar.html

I believe Google search is sometimes more robust than our forum search function.

From what I’ve read the VanVan is stronger on seat comfort and EFI, but weaker off road. Cheers
    I was talking about google search, it was sparse...
    littletommy likes this.

The handwriting is on the wall for gas engine dual sport motorcycles. There are some very good reasons not to waste time on a fuel injected single or small dual sport bike. Many of them outlined in that video. One not mentioned is the pace of lithium and other battery chemistry development. There are at least three new battery technologies that are in the pipe right now that could give an electric dual sport the power and range to obsolete gas dual sport bikes. If you had an electric motorcycle that could fast charge in 10- 30 minutes had a range of 200 miles and was lighter, more powerful and faster than a 400cc gas engine would that work for you? Electric motors are known for their torque, flat power and low maintenance. The inventor of the lithium battery has come up with a “glass” version that is a huge improvement over the present tech. Estimated time to production is two years. I don’t remember the specs but it promises to fulfill the attributes above. The electric motorcycles and bikes we now now see are soon to be old toys.

Edit here is a link.

https://news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/g...ery-technology
    Last edited by Tweaker; 02-17-2018 at 11:02 PM.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

The carb was one of the main sells for me on the TW. Not being dependent on dealer owned software running my vehicle was very generous for Yamaha to continue. I believe the TTR is still carb run too.

As far as electric motors go....batteries could be expensive. And they are way too quiet to be that fast. I suspect eventually they will omit some type of sound for safety reasons.

Trails being closed world wide sound to me like an obvious sign of agenda 21. While the environmental movement has purpose I believe it's been high-jacked and used to gain power over us.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 02-18-2018 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    The carb was one of the main sells for me on the TW. Not being dependent on dealer owned software running my vehicle was very generous for Yamaha to continue. I believe the TTR is still carb run too.

As far as electric motors go....batteries could be expensive. And they are way too quiet to be that fast. I suspect eventually they will omit some type of sound for safety reasons.
    I tend to agree, I sold a matching pair of Yamaha C3 scooters for 75% of the money to buy my 2016 TW200, they were 2009's and suffered from wacky efi related issues the entire time I had them. When all was the best I could achieve they seemed to run well but one always seemed to be hard to start compared to the other. When my carbs don't startup, I just dig in and fix it. I actually have no carb issues once I take possession of things cause I do not run ethanol laced fuels. Sometimes if I am doing mulitfillups during a little trip or multiday use like vacation I do use whatever but run it out and change back to non ethanol. With all that said I would really rather have non cv carbs as they are just a bit simpler and easy to understand.
    Trail Woman, Tweaker, Ken and 1 others like this.

We are not so lucky to have non ethanol fuel here in CA. I don’t mind the carb because I can fix and tune it.

You are correct TrailW batteries are expensive right now. That being said I don’t think most people realize we are in a dynamic technological period of change not unlike that of the horse and buggy switching to gasoline power. The prices on batteries WILL drop as they are starting to right now. It is like what happened with computer memory, starting out it was very costly now you can buy gigs of memory for cheap. Electric motors have tons of power per size and weight containing clear advantages over a internal combustion engine. An electric powered dragster may break all world records soon. https://newatlas.com/top-ev-electric...op-fuel/50741/

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post

Trails being closed world wide sound to me like an obvious sign of agenda 21. While the environmental movement has purpose I believe it's been high-jacked and used to gain power over us.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post

An electric powered dragster may break all world records soon. https://newatlas.com/top-ev-electric...op-fuel/50741/
    If all it has to do is the quarter mile, I'm not surprised
    Ken and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links