Anyone ever lift the TW into a truck with no ramp?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Anyone ever lift the TW into a truck with no ramp?

Anyone ever lift the TW into a truck with no ramp?

So after watching the video below, I decided to try loading the TW the same way. I was able to lift it the front in just fine, but I couldn't get the back wheel high enough to get in the truck. Was short by inches.

In order to save my ego, I convinced myself that it was because the TW is heavier than that skinny bike in the video. But then I watched the video again recently and noticed that I could actually see the model of the bike--CRF450x... I tried to keep my ego in tact by ignoring this info, but alas, my curiosity won out. I googled the weight of the CRF450x and it came in at 269 lbs. Only 11 lbs lighter than the TW.

So now my excuse is that because the TW is wider, the center of gravity is further away from my body when I'm lifting it from one side of the swing arm like that, effectively making the bike heavier.

Sometimes it's hard work convincing yourself you're not getting old

PS - I do own a ramp. I just wanted to try this method because I thought if I'm in a hurry it might save time.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Just.... No.

That is what ramps and trailers are for.

Reminds me of my Grandfather. World War 2 Decorated Soldier. Lived through "more shit than you could imagine".
    Stubborn old fuck confined himself to a wheelchair after his triple bypass at 88 yrs old. Worked himself into a crotchety old bastard, as was his right.
    Idiot got his wheelchair stuck in the front doorway at the age of 93 and forced himself through same doorway and fell, hitting his head on the front steps. Languished in a coma, came out of it with total sensory loss, only to die a few weeks later.
    War hero. Taken out by stupidity.

Lesson?
    Don't do stupid shit.

You can get used ramps pretty cheap. It does sound like something I woulda tried in my younger days. Don’t do it though.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I tried it a couple years ago... Failed getting it in.

1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Ken
    He must be strong to pick it up with one hand. I could have never picked up that much with one hand. How I would load it with no ramp is back the truck into a dry ditch where the tailgate down is nearly level and push it on in. Ramps are easier though.

I must be missing something I watched the video but I didn't see anybody load a motorcycle without a ramp. I did see when he reached the hardest part claim how easy it is if he were to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Bustion View Post
    I must be missing something I watched the video but I didn't see anybody load a motorcycle without a ramp. I did see when he reached the hardest part claim how easy it is if he were to do it.
    Sonuva.... You're right! I've been duped! He only unloaded it, which is easier. Hooray I'm not old and weak!!!
    Ken, Smitty Blackstone and Peterb like this.

After unloading mine off my flatbed once, I put a crane on the truck. A simple lift with the electric winch. After taking that TW in my arms and lifting it off the bed and sitting it down I knew it would be the last time. Kneeling down with it in my arms under the frame far enough to not let it fall over was a one time deal lol. Thing is to pick it up with the kickstand on the far side. I figured it weighs about the same as me so I should be able to handle that.

Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    After unloading mine off my flatbed once, I put a crane on the truck. A simple lift with the electric winch. After taking that TW in my arms and lifting it off the bed and sitting it down I knew it would be the last time. Kneeling down with it in my arms under the frame far enough to not let it fall over was a one time deal lol. Thing is to pick it up with the kickstand on the far side. I figured it weighs about the same as me so I should be able to handle that.
    So your avatar is an accurate portrayal of your size. I’ve never seen a TW look that small. Cheers
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Not a TW but once me and two other idiots did load my CM450 into the trunk of a '78 Plymouth Volare without ramps. Just picked it up and shoved it in! It sorta fit but a lot was hanging out so we snapped a red ball-cap around the wheel to count as a "flag" and then used some string to secure the trunk lid. The tank and seat were in the car proper prior to loading, thereby proving some small good choices were made within a fun year of questionable ones...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links