Prospective TW200 Buying questions!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Prospective TW200 Buying questions!

Prospective TW200 Buying questions!

Hey there, to start, this forum is great and the wealth of information on here is awesome-- Thank you!

I'm considering a TW as a first bike up here in the PNW and have a few questions.

I'm primarily interested in cruising down fire roads and the occasional trail.. maybe not too super technical.

-How does the TW handle elevation changes with the carb? I live at sea level but would largely be riding at between 1500-7000k ft; Would I encounter a power dropoff in this situation?

-Gearing; I like that you can ride it at low speeds with less issues of stalling; how does this compare to say a CRF250L in 1st gear gearing?

-It seems like the seating position makes standing a little different than more dirt dirt bikes? The taller bikes seem to carry more momentum and riders tend to seem to stand up to absorb things more.. is this mostly by design?

The bikes I've narrowed down to are the: TW200 if used, new.. Seems like you get more bike for the money with other options. Honda CRF250L - the modern features/aftermarket support and price point are the major selling point for this one-- it seems fairly capable for highway stint.. just heavy. I also looked at a 2018 KLX 250 EFI -- nice bike, lighter than CRF and I can almost flat foot it.. but its not cheap.

edit: I'm also a bigger guy at 260lb ish, its not super critical that I can flat foot, I felt like I could manage the wr250/crf/klx when I sat on them all.
    Last edited by patrown; 02-25-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    Tuber and Badgerflorida like this.

Fire roads and trails: Excellent if you don't want to got fast.
    Elevation: Stock jet OK to 8,000 feet, a bit rich above that but the bike will go to 12,000 and still start. Give me carburation for reliability anyday.
    Stock gearing good for all but steep technical stuff...first gear substantially lower than CRF250L. It will go 60 on the highway but you won't like it.
    Low seating is a design feature, flat foot it through rocks. Suspension is nowhere as good as most dirt bikes, thus the need to ride slower. It can be modified to be better for not much $.

EXTREMELY RELIABLE!!!!!!! CARRIES HUGE LOADS!!!

Great first bike. Great 15th bike. If you want to explore the backcountry at reasonable speeds and not warp speed and carry lots of gear, it's perfect.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Welcome to the site. Where are you in the PS If close you are welcome to come buy and take a ride. We have 3. 1 even may still be for sale
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I'm down here in Pierce County. I may have to head up that way if the price is right.. Hoping to get something mid next month.
    Badgerflorida and littletommy like this.

Welcome to the forum. You’ll never have more fun going so slow.
    littletommy and Elvesus like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

For sure get a TW, you won't be disappointed. I too have 3 and might part with one. I always take two with me on events. I have too many toys and time to thin them out a bit.

I might add I am your size and a bit. Never had any issues at all with that weight. It does have passenger pegs to with two people on that would more than make up the weight of one of us.
    Last edited by plumbstraight; 02-26-2018 at 12:02 AM.
    littletommy likes this.

I too am a larger gent (6'2"-6'3", around 250lbs), and find the TW has no issues lugging me around. The only comfort modifications I've found necessary so far are a set of bar risers (2") and some slip-on foam/neoprene type sleeves to increase the diameter of the grips a bit (a must for large hands).

You're not going to win any stoplight to stoplight races with it, but it's a very comfortable and pleasant ride, very low effort, and equally at home on the street as it is on the trail. Think more of it as a trusty pack mule that will stay with you for years, rather than a thoroughbred race horse that only has a couple useful seasons in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    Welcome to the forum. You’ll never have more fun going so slow.
    True, but a TW is not that slow...it is just slow by comparison.
    My XT250 would do only about 10 MPH faster than my TW200.

All my recent bikes have been to over 8,500 feet for local riding.
    From sea level to 8,500 feet is close to a 25% HP loss, so 16 HP at sea level drops to 12 HP.

I am an "average" weight rider, at just under 180 pounds, but the only noticeable effect was pulling a 6-8% grade to stay ahead of or with traffic in a 55 speed limit and, after run-in , it was OK. I've done 160 mile street trips in a 50-55 MPH zone in Lake Mead Recreational area. Main issue was seat comfort.

Stock front tire wash out off-road is an issue and therefore, it should be replaced. It was worse on highway rain groves, parallel to travel.

Don't have a photo of the TW at this Deer Creek Road summit in attached photos, but it was there. Absolutely great for fire roads.
    4-Deer Creek Road, from Lee Cyn to Kyle Cyn.JPG
    7-Deer Creek Road.JPG

The TW carb is a "constant velocity" type. It has a vacuum operated slide, which lifts the mid-range needle in proportion to throttle position and atmospheric conditions...so mid range is automatically compensated for altitude.

At lower elevations, a larger main jet may be beneficial.

However, the low range circuit is incredibly lean from the factory. Upon purchase, it immediately needs mixture screw adjustment to about 2 1/2 turns from a gentle seat. Easiest way is to loosen hose clamps on both sides, rotate carb ~90 degrees, drill a 1/8" hole in the mixture screw cap and pry out the cap with an awl or inset a sheet metal screw; then turn mixture screw clockwise to seat, back out 2 1/2 turns, rotate carb to normal position and tighten clamps.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

I think what he's trying to say - is that the TW is a pain the arse, but still good fun .......
    littletommy and Elvesus like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I guess it depends what you are used to riding. Based on my past experiences, I don't think the TW seat is really that bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links