I'm looking for advice on Riding Gear
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I'm looking to buy protective jacket, pants and maybe gloves, and boots. Would be nice if it had the removable elbow/knee pads. I'm not familiar with brands and styles so any advice would be welcomed.

What I am wearing now: Gmax Modular Helmet, Carhart jacket or a nylong ski jacket, BDU Ripstop Nylon pants, walmart MX style gloves, leather work boots. I know it is insufficient. Also without venting it gets pretty hot.

Most of my road riding is paved back roads deer would be my biggest concern. I've been on dirt but this is my first summer of riding on the road. I know if I laid it down on pavement with my current gear I'd have a bad day.

Also if anyone has gear they would sell, let me know. I can fit mens large but XL is better. 38/32 pants size 12 boots.

Thanks!

I've owned two Tourmaster jackets (but be aware that they come in different weights affecting weight, warmth, and perhaps durability when sliding down the road), I'm sure many others are just as good. I'd stress buying visible colors for safety unless you are biased toward black for ethereal reasons. A high vis vest over that black jacket might be just as good and more flexible to be used in combo with other weights of clothing. Yes protection is good. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Good morning.

There are lots of reasons to buy gear and lots of choices. Style, level of protection, and price are all factors in buying riding apparel. I'm sure there are a few other members who can also help but I'd be glad to offer some suggestions with good pricing and free shipping. I have a promo code set up for forum members. Let me know if you're interested or just shoot me a PM and I'll give you my email. I'm here because I ride a TW, not because I want to sell product, but I'm glad to help if you ask.

Snoop

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I too was looking for riding gear. I found reveille.com has many videos on each item and they give the pros and cons as well. Awaiting my order to arrive, jacket, gloves, helmet and waterproof backpack. Customer support has Ben awesome so far.

Check out www.leatherup.com. I have an armoured leather jacket that I bought from them for under $100 five years ago and is still in excellent shape. I wear it as my winter jacket (on the two days of winter we have in SE Texas) and it's seen a few thousand miles of riding. It's good heavy, real leather.

Also have gloves, a mesh jacket and a few other odd and ends from there. It's all good quality stuff, and very inexpensive.

Thanks for the advice Guys. I am leaning towards the high visibility armored Jackets. Some contracts I work on are for the Military and IIRC they required high visibility jackets to ride your bike onto the base.

Snoop, what store are you referring too? Can you give me the website so I can check it out?

What do you guys think about boots? I have had a previous ankle injury it does not take much to sprain that foot now.

Revzilla.com is pretty great for gear reviews, and they have a dual sport/ADV section for gear. Tourmaster is decently priced with gear that isn't terrible, so you might find something you like with them. I've got one of their jackets and a pair of pants from them. Removable waterproof and quilted liners, pretty handy. For road riding you can find just as much stuff. You'll want some boots that are tough, but not too crazy. I've found that a stiff boot that protects your ankle will just transfer the motion to your knee if there's a twist involved, but that usually happens in MX racing.

There's hours of gear differences to talk about, but head over to Revzilla and see for yourself.

Anyone have thoughts on the Xelements brand? Looks like I could get matching high visibility jacket /pants/ boots with armor in the knee,elbow,shoulder and back for a little under $200.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyTank View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on the Xelements brand? Looks like I could get matching high visibility jacket /pants/ boots with armor in the knee,elbow,shoulder and back for a little under $200.

I avoided them. Read reviews from people that ride regularly. The build quality is supposedly low.

You can check out my website, Perfmoto.com. I can send you a promo code for 10% off your purchase but I can't post it due to advertising policies. I have plenty of options but gear is a personal preference. We also own the Dainese D-store in Chicago, but I just wear a hi-vis Castle jacket because it was priced well and has waterproof layers and basic elbow/shoulder protection. I appreciate quality but tend to change gear frequently so I don't buy a lot of big-dollar gear (my Michigan body also doesn't fit in Italian leather very well). I've held a lot of apparel in my hands and have my own opinions about who makes good stuff and who makes garbage. However, it's your money and you need to find some stuff that appeals to you in your price range. Look at the site and tell me what interests you. I'll be glad to share my opinion if you ask. If you don't like it, you can send it back for refund or exchange. No restock fee and I'll pay to ship the exchange to you.

Snoop

Edit: My apologies to the forum. I appreciate all of you for the knowledge I have gained about my Dub. I've tried to keep a low profile but I am glad to help with parts and gear. I may not be as experienced with the TW200 as many of the Advanced Members, but I'm glad to share my product experience with whomever asks. I promise not to abuse the priviledge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links