Please Help An Old Man Keep Riding
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Please Help An Old Man Keep Riding

Please Help An Old Man Keep Riding

My dad is 86 years old and we have been riding TW's for decades. When he turned 80 my mom took the keys away and he wants to ride again. He has been so depressed with no trail time it is making him really miserable

I should mention dad looks 65 or 70 and is still able to do a hard days work

So we had a family meeting and my mom and sisters are scared of him getting injured or dying - he also rides alone at time as he lives in the country and can go right from the house.

If we could find a way to keep his speed down they might let him have the keys back. I wondered if I changed the sprockets ( which one) so he had no top speed and could just putt around if that would work.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have
    Last edited by Mystic Explorer; 03-06-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    SanDue, Fred, littletommy and 4 others like this.

Good idea r.e gearing down, propose that to see if it reassures the loved ones. It may not slow him down much but it is a good marketing approach to sell the idea so that your father can recover a better quality of life.
    A 55 or 60 tooth rear sprocket does give great confidence and stall free agility at rediculously slow speeds. Add a Recluse clutch if possible if it seems advisable depending on father's condition.
    Lots of safety gear and possibly accompanying your father on a ride or two might help, especially if rest of family can see him enjoying himself and in control of his bike and his destiny once again. Pride is an important component in quality of life.
    Only you as a fellow rider and devoted son can truly judge the wisdom of him riding again.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-06-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    Miaugi, troll, littletommy and 3 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

As Fred said, "put a 60 tooth sprocket on. Quality of life is so much more rewarding and it will let him live with a smile. What those gals are doing is cruel and inhumane to the elderly. He will know when it time to hang up the keys.
    Miaugi, troll, Chip and 6 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Pretty tame stock and to tell the truth he might be more insulted if you "governor" him. I would anyway.
    Along with good safety gear (which you should have anyway)... no riding by yourself at 86. He'll have more fun with a riding buddy and everyone else will feel better know he's not alone.
    Probably him too.

Just wanted to add I'm envious of you that your Dad can and still wants to ride. Obviously you have a very cool Dad.

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    The above posts by these wise fellows should be enough..... Get your dad out riding again. It is this life to live, and enjoy.
    Converte gladium tuum in locum suum. Omnes enim, qui acceperint gladium, gladio peribunt. - JC

If you put a 60 tooth on the back the top speed would be 58 at redline, 50 at a more comfortable 8,000 rpm. If you combined a 13 tooth front with a 60 rear, it would be more like 52 and 45. First would become mostly unusable.

From my experience at 70 years old speed is not the issue. I've never crashed at more than 5 mph. (knock on wood!) The issue is riding terrain, balance and reaction time, the second two slowly degrading as you age. If his terrain is reasonably friendly (verified by YOU), not rocky or technical, and your Dad has good eyesight and decent reaction times for his age, (verifiable by experiment), he could probably still ride. I sure hope I still can at 85!!!! Even at 70, there is a lot of terrain I won't ride now that I did just five years ago.

Good new safety gear, most important being a full face helmet and really good calf high boots, is critical. In my most recent low speed dump, those boots (Sidi Adventure Rains) turned a probable broken fibula into just a bad bruise. I use mesh gear with integrated elbow, knee, hip and shoulder pads. I've never so much as gotten them dirty. My rear wheel found a deep hole I could not see in a perfectly flat meadow with long grass and the bike trapped my left leg against the edge of the hole. If I had been going faster, I would have bounced through the hole. I was alone, as I usually am, and a broken fibula would have been life threatening in the wilds of Nevada.

For this reason, last month I decided to fork out the bucks for a Garmin InReach satellite communicator. I have carried a PLB for years and still will, but being able to communicate with rescuers (or family) is worth every penny ten times over. Of course, if you have good cell coverage, you wouldn't need one....(most places I ride don't)

After swallowing the sticker shock ($399), the subscription is only $144 a year. This would definitely lower the risk of him not being able to extricate himself and ride out by a huge margin. I'll bet it would be worth it to him to know he can keep the family informed hour by hour. I hope you can afford it, the smile on his face would be priceless!!
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 03-06-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Doesn't a larger sprocket make it accelerate more at low speed? As in wheelies easier....Making sure he's not alone is a good idea for anyone.

Yes that's true, why I said first gear becomes almost useless. 13/60 wouldn't make a lot of sense to me, but many do have that low of gearing.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I feel sorry for the SOB that takes my keys and says I can't ride. I'm sure he'd rather go out doing what he loves then staring at the ceiling in a home. Let the ole man ride.

You should get a bike and ride along if your worried about him.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Along with everything else make sure his bike is in tip top shape. If it has not been done consider installing better tires,skid plate and bark busters. I know what it's like to walk back home after my bike broke down and a bike will take your farther in an hour than you can walk in a day.
    littletommy, Ken, Tweaker and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links