Chain Life
Close

Thread: Chain Life

I have a TW 200 I recently bought that now has 3000 miles on it, had about 1000 on it when I got it. I adjusted the chain about 1000 miles ago and noticed rather large difference between the tightest and loosest spots on the chain but now on the second adjustment the difference is HUGE. I think the chain is shot. Since I've ahd the bike the chain has been kept clean and lubed and the bike has only been ridden by my wife - she doesn't ride it very hard at all. 3000 miles seems awful short for chain life, is this normal? Any suggestions on a replacement? I'm thinking that maybe the original chain that Yamaha uses is not the best quality - seems like a light, low horsepower bike with a gentle rider should do better than 3000 miles per chain. What do I need to know to order a chain other than 60 links / 428 pitch? Suggestions on a place to order?

Thanks,

Bruce

The oem chain is legendary for it's cheapness I was having to tighten mine after every 100 miles.

What do both sprockets look like? If they are showing a lot of wear you will need to replace everything.

Sprockets look good, one of the first things I did when we bought the bike was to put a 47 tooth sprocket on the rear (got it from Superior Sprocket) Made a big difference, bike is still geared low enough for our use on fire roads and the like but much better for 55 mph on the pavement. The new rear sprocket is aluminum so I'll keep a close watch on it as well as a close watch on chain condition.

Bruce

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

There is a lot written on this forum regarding to chains. In a nutshell, the stock chain sucks (but mine lasted for about 8k miles). Most recommend an O-ring chain and the sprockets should be changed at the same time. Search the forum, lots and lots of posts.

With the 47/14 combo go with the 120 link chain.. It's a perfect fit......... I got 5,000 miles from my stock chain........It was toast. I put a higher quality "NON" O ring style.. Now have 10,000 miles on the bike.. The replacement chain is doing great..... OMM.

Sponosred Links