Loose chain all of a sudden?
Close

So I am new to the TW and new to motorcycles in general. On Sunday I cleaned and lubed my chain on my new to me 2009. Later that day I went for a good long ride out to my brother's place and back, and I also rode to work and back several times, with some good rips up to 65mph or so. This morning I noticed the chain seems much more loose than normal. Do they really stretch that fast? Could it have something to do with lubing the chain?

Also, since I am sitting here at work with no tools, I am wondering, can the chain be tightened with the tools in the tool roll?

Thanks - Bart

In short, yes the chain can need adjustment that fast, especially if it's starting to wear out, assuming you have a stock non-Oring chain. I recently changed my original stock chain on my 2005 TW. For the past couple years I had to adjust it nearly as often as you are mentioning, if not more. Seemed like after every ride. I should also mention my TW had about 6,000 miles when I changed it. I cleaned and lubricated it often, but towards the end of the chains life, it didn't really matter.

You can adjust the chain with the on-board tools if complete. Little harder of course using the wrench on the axle nut rather than a longer one from home, but can be done. I've adjusted mine out on the trail with the on-board tools several times. I used a rock to gently tap the adjusters to the next appropriate notch. Even though the chain is wearing out (most likely) you should notice a bit better shifting as well. BTW, I love my new o-ring chain. Much quieter and have not had to adjust it yet after several rides. Got to get use to not adjusting the chain as much as I use too!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thanks for the reply. Do you see any extreme danger in riding it another 40 miles before I tighten it? It's not loose like its gonna fall off, but the slack seems greater than what it was Sunday when I lubed it up. Also, just so you know, this bike only has 1015 miles on it so far, so it is pretty "new", but I have been riding the shit out of it.

Thanks - Bart

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you're riding at highway speeds 50-65, I'd take the time to adjust it before the ride home just to be on the safe side. It should only take you a few minutes. Your gonna find you'll have to adjust the chain quite often with the stock chain no matter what. I had good luck with the stocker, but did get really proficient at chain adjustments!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Cool, thanks man, I will have a look at it on my lunch break.

Bart

Sponosred Links