JBFLA's TW has moved
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: JBFLA's TW has moved

JBFLA's TW has moved

As with many of us here, it pleases me to see that when a forum member sells a motorcycle it goes to another member.

JBFLA sold his 2005 to Placerlode, who travelled to Florida to get it. I contacted Placerlode earlier this winter and told him I wasn't looking for one of his trademark low mileage gems, but a well-maintained one with some miles and good modifications. And that is how JBFLA's TW travelled 3500 miles from his house to mine.

JBFLA's modifications: Lzrdbrth oil cooler, Moose Racing skid plate, hand guards, o-ring chain, Protaper ATV bars, IMS foot pegs and shifter, Doubletake mirrors with Ram mounts, Yamaha tach/maintenance meter, Battery Tender wiring, 130 main jet, larger pilot jet, foam grips, Trailwing 203 and 204 tires. Oil change at 1000-1500 miles. Mileage is a well cared for 9650.

I stare at the machine and I am content. Other than the tires, due to age, my charge card stays put.

Through the forum I was able to identify JBFLA as the previous owner. I have enjoyed corresponding with him about his TW.

It was snowing when Placerlode delivered the bike which made for a memorable introduction. He also provided a 40 minute tutorial on the carburetor in which he rebuilt it. Good man.

Atlas was the ancient Greek deity of endurance. Atlas it will be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    God made mud. God got lonesome. So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!" "See all I've made," said God, "The hills, the sea, the sky, the stars." And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around. Lucky me, lucky mud. I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done.
    Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Congrats and applause, all the way around!
    I like the appearance of the scrambler tires....not good enough for mud and snow?
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

That was a crazy trip I actually met JBLFA at his "cabin" in Tennessee (oops North Carolina actually) which is really a mansion in my book. I loved the 05 but the package deal he was offering provided me with parts to finish another dozen TW's I had sitting around and I'm still picking great stuff from the parts boxes I got in the deal. He threw in stuff way beyond the call of duty on the deal and worked with meeting me when I was in the area and even helped me load everything well into the darkness.

On my way home I was rolling aprx 85mph in the Oklahoma panhandle and my right front 35" Toyo tire had a catastrophic explosion with zero warning I pulled the steering wheel all the way to left full lock and it still careened to the right off the highway at about a 15 degree angle luckily there was just a small barb wire fence with light wood poles and it was all grassland fairly solid and not to steep of a berm leaving the road at 80mph plus! I had my Kendon ATV trailer w/o my Versahaul in between my truck and trailer on that trip my whole rig came to rest about 60 feet into the field but I traveled about 500 or 600 feet before stopping I didn't roll the truck but the trailer flip flopped 90 degrees left and right (as in rotated not just swayed) a few times snapping most of the 1" ratchet straps (4 per TW) and the 3 TW's ended up in heap still on the trailer but tied in a knot. I lost one gas tank 4 of 6 mirrors, bent one handlebar, tore one seat and I think 2 turn signals smashed as well as the entire gauge and headlamp assembly on the 05 I gathered pieces and put them in a plastic bread bag nothing salvageable. The wind was howling 80mph and I had thrown my back out so the process of getting to my spare and tools and replacing the flat was a royal bitch but honestly I was laughing out loud in shock I was still alive.

I've had lots of rear tire blowouts on my trucks and trailers (and I buy fresh high end rubber for all my rigs) but I always thought there would still be some control in a front blowout. there is not !!! Almost anywhere else I drive I would not have survived. The property manager arrived as I was washing my hands and I told him what happened and offered to pay to fix the fence but he just laughed and said he wouldn't take a dime he was just happy I didn't leave a bunch of trash like he said people have done in the past.

The Toyo's only had 4000 miles on them I ended up exploding 2 out of that set of 4 and S-Canned the last 2 - I have had much better luck with other sets of the same tire but I try to limit to 75mph while not towing and 68mph towing

Surprisingly no damage to the truck just some cracked welds on the Kendon and 3 TW's with misc smunches but all were easily fixable
    SAM_6370.JPGSAM_6372.JPGSAM_6384.JPG

It was a beautiful winter wonderland up in Kent WA near Cascade-Riders place where I grew up riding the powerlines in that area. I hope the TW will be a lot of fun up in the Northwest that bike has seen a lot of the USA to say the least lol
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 03-13-2018 at 05:43 PM.
    jbfla, Dryden-Tdub, Fred and 8 others like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

PlacerLode: Glad you survived the front blowout with minimal damage!
    Can you return blown tire for warranty?
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 03-13-2018 at 06:32 PM.
    Ken, littletommy and joeband like this.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

PlacerLode,

What an incredible account. You are fortunate you didn’t wake up dead.

And what a story I have to tell folks why my odometer is not original.
    littletommy, joeband and Ken like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    Congrats and applause, all the way around!
    I like the appearance of the scrambler tires....not good enough for mud and snow?
    I’m digging the tires, too. I will evaluate them to determine their off road utitity. I have read here that they are road tires with acceptable off road characteristics in dry conditions. While summers in my state are surprisingly dry the other months can be a little damp.

The date code puts them over 10 years, so they will be replaced.
    jbfla, Purple and littletommy like this.

Ken
    I think I would get different tires next time. I'm glad your ok. I had only one blowout at 80 mph and I wasn't pulling a trailer. I thought someone shot at me. I let off the gas to assess the situation and then felt it pull so I just lightly braked and pulled it off the road, it was a front tire. That would be scary pulling a trailer and having a blowout. Those big tires didn't help with the blowout either.
    littletommy and admiral like this.

What a scary ride. Glad you’re ok. And congrats Cascade on your new bike. Cheers
    littletommy likes this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Quote Originally Posted by Cascade Rider View Post
    As with many of us here, it pleases me to see that when a forum member sells a motorcycle it goes to another member. .....
    Congrats on the purchase , Cascade Rider.

That TW provided me with many satisfying miles, mostly on Forest Service roads in North Carolina, Tennessee, and North Georgia.

Glad it has gone to a good home.

Here's an "as sold" photo i found......surprised the tires are so old, most of my riding was on the knobbies.

jb
    joeband, putt-putt, Lyterx and 3 others like this.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

placer,
    i went through a barbed wire fence once.... but that was dumb youth, and not equipment failure. only time i saw my "life flash before my eyes", lots of sparks, to this day i can't find the spot on that road, that doesn't lead to a cliff and sure death.

glad you made it out with just a laugh.

cascade, congrats on a great bike.
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links