New TW Rider!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: New TW Rider!

New TW Rider!

Been looking to purchase a motorcycle and get into the sport. After a long while of researching and figuring what best fits my needs, picked up a 2018 yesterday. I've never ridden motorcycles and thought this was a good fit. Really just looking to get some advice/thoughts on things to think about as a beginner. I've mountain biked my whole life so when it comes to trails i'll definitely have to get used to a rig with an engine but i'm more curious about the street side of it. I do live and work in town so my commute is short and asides from riding the highway I wouldn't say park city is bustling with traffic. Thanks for the input in advance!

Most important thing is to be vigilant at defensive driving on a motorcycle. Especially so in spring in cooler climates where car and truck drivers get a bit lazy at watching out for motorcycles in the winter months. Wear protective gear and have fun. Depending on speeds driven on a normal day, a lot of folks do a sprocket change to better suit their needs. I have one bike with a one tooth bigger on the front (15) and the other is all stock (14) and find either to be suitable but the taller gear of that 15 tooth front sprocket is noticeable in a positive way on the 55 mph roads and the stock gearing bike still works well too but revs a bit higher but is a tad bit better in low gear off road riding.
    admiral, Badgerflorida and Ken like this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Welcome to the group Hammer27 and congrats on the new ride!

There is a mountain of knowledge here however seeing it is a brand new bike you shouldn't be needing the repair stuff for now, so then there's break-in, maintenance, accessories, upgrades (it is widely accepted the stock front tire is not great for off-road use, although it looks meaty enough I think it's really made of some sort of slime causing it to loose bite on grass & gravel). Have a look around and don't be shy to ask questions. Maybe let us know what part of the country you're in as well. Cheers!
    admiral, Badgerflorida and Ken like this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

As your mountain bike riding experience will tell you, watch out for idiot car drivers – take nothing for granted – just because you now have a crash hat, it still hurts

Edit your profile to reflect your location – you will find many other TW riders in your area who will advise you on a variety of different issues – a long conversation face to face can tell you far more than I can

Get rid of the front tire, and swap it out for a Shinko 241 – the stock front is a temperamental beast that will lull you into a false sense of security, then face plant you without warning – swap it now, or make sure you have good dental insurance

From new, the TW engine will “barf” up a worrying amount of metal in the first 500 miles – this is normal, and of no concern (they all do it) – it’ll soon settle down

The oil filter is “washable”, and should be good for 10k if flushed regularly – the reason for mentioning this, is that we are still finding the wrong oil filters in boxes with the correct number. If you ask for an oil filter, they will simply pull the box with the correct number off the shelf – this is no guarantee that the correct filter will be inside the box. We have had top ends destroyed in 20 to 50 miles due to fitting the wrong filter – re-use the old if at all possible

These bikes are “cold blooded” out of the crate – but there is an easy fix – if this is an issue that bothers you or affects you, ask on here for help, and we’ll be happy to oblige

Don’t expect the TW to be a “crotch rocket”, its talents lie in other areas – there is little you can do to improve its performance; learn to appreciate it for what it is. What you have is a Mule, not a race horse – the difference is that a Mule can take you into places that a race horse can’t

Take your time to get used to the bike before you start changing anything (apart from the front tire) – otherwise you will end up with three grands worth of farkles, many of which will be bought on impulse – take the hint from the bike – sometimes slower is better

We’ll always be here to help you with any questions, so don’t be afraid of asking – if you read this https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...te-search.html first, then research your question on the boards history, you will have either your answer, or a better grip of how to word your own question – but don’t hesitate to ask if you have any concerns, it’s what we’re here for

Welcome to the madness ……
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Welcome. I like you already. Good forum name which reminds me of my TW toolkit!

Elvesus, putt-putt, Miaugi and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Aside from getting the right filter, be sure to bleed the top end by taking out the little bolt near the top rear of the head on the right side. fire it up and wait till oil comes out. Shut down replace the bolt and enjoy a good ride. Some folks have not done this and lost the top bearings on the cam.

Welcome to the forum!! A little reading might do you good...

https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...safe-road.html

https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...-you-wear.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer27 View Post
    Been looking to purchase a motorcycle and get into the sport. After a long while of researching and figuring what best fits my needs, picked up a 2018 yesterday. I've never ridden motorcycles and thought this was a good fit. Really just looking to get some advice/thoughts on things to think about as a beginner. I've mountain biked my whole life so when it comes to trails i'll definitely have to get used to a rig with an engine but i'm more curious about the street side of it. I do live and work in town so my commute is short and asides from riding the highway I wouldn't say park city is bustling with traffic. Thanks for the input in advance!
    Badgerflorida and Ken like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Welcome. Park City is awesome. Watch out for the tourists, lots to distract their attention from the road. If you don’t have some seasoned riding buddies to learn from, I recommend taking the advanced rider course if you haven’t already. Cheers.
    Purple and Ken like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Yep! Whenever I see out of state plates in this resort town I expect them to do something stupid, like run a stop sign. (Not that the locals don't occasionally do that, but the odds are lower.)

As a brand new rider, I would recommend you get David Hough's book "Proficient Motorcycling". You can get a used older version cheap on Amazon. Many of us consider it our "Bible" and re-read it every spring to tune up our awareness level.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 03-20-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I would like to welcome you also... This is a great place to find answers to just about any question you may come up with TW wise... Someone with way more experienced than I, as a pretty new TW rider also, will usually do all they can to help you out.

You have a great bike....
    In addittion to added viligance while riding and that new Shinko 241 front tire, you may also consider a better designed set of foot pegs. The ones that come with the bike are IMO, way to small and hard to keep your feet securely in place on, as well as hard to get feet back in place on if you had to remove 1 or both of them. Larger pegs with more aggressive "Tractiion" will IMO, definately help your learning and handling level, while possibly improving riding confidence easier and faster.

You can find one example on Ebay for less that $20.00 . These are usually very usable and being used by many here. However, particular pegs usually reguire a very slight modification to 1 peg for to reposition return spring location for correct fitment.

Another quality set of foot pegs are the DMO brand "custom hand made" pegs. (These are not nearly in the price range of the Ebay ones).

These are the pegs I chose and with no regrets at all after a couple hundred miles on them.

Placerload, a forum member here, at times has these very high quality pegs as well as many other high quality and vastly improved up-grade parts in his inventory...... You may want to look him up here as you progress in making your new bike "Yours".

excalibur
    2010 TW 200 Dual Sport
    2017 Harley Softail Slim w/110 Cubic Inch Screamin' Eagle engine
    2005 Yamaha 450 Kodiak 4x4 Quad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links