For a lighter trail bike...what would you get?
Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: For a lighter trail bike...what would you get?

For a lighter trail bike...what would you get?

I love my TW but since I've been riding woods single track enduro, the weight, suspension, and clearance have been challenging. Still fun but with some limits so I'm looking for a second bike.
    I've looked at the DRZ125L, the CRF150F and am leaning towards the KLX140G. It has great power to weight (218lbs IIRC) ratio and the seat height (~33") is a little lower then I need considering suspension sag but seems comfortable. I don't need to go faster then 80kph/49mph but could use a peppy light woods bike. I was looking at a 125cc 2 stroke but I remembered how noisy they are.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 03-20-2018 at 08:23 PM.
    Ken and Badgerflorida like this.

I don't know if going down on engine size is going to give you what you want. Perhaps a DR-200 or KLX-250 would serve you better.
    Ken likes this.

ktm 150xcw or 250excf or husqvarna te150 or fe250...depending what color you like better and if you want 2 stroke or 4 stroke
    Ken and centralwarider like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think I would first have to get a diet that really works and shave 25-30 lbs. off my carcass. They I'd definitely get one of those 2 suggestions that Xracer recommended. But it would need to be dual-sport for street & trail.

Staying at or under the 250cc class of bikes I really, really liked this one I saw at Daytona last week:

IMG_4480.JPG

IMG_4486.JPG

Yikes!
    IMG_4484.JPG
    Ken likes this.

I would stick with a crf150f .... or a crf150R if you wanted more power.

I am a big guy and have ridden a crf150r. It was a blast and tons of fun.
    Peterb, Trail Woman, Ken and 1 others like this.

Homologized racing has ruined the simple motorcycle forcing manufactures to produce race ready machines for everyday use. As such seat height, maintenance requirements and expenses have gotten rather high. How about engaging the time machine and rebuilding one of the classic trail bikes like a Honda XR200 or KDX200?
    Sure they are two-smokers but the benefits are overwhelming: Light weight, low seat height, no coolant or radiator issues, engines easy to work on, explosive and tunable power hit.Honda XR200R 86 02.jpg
    Peterb, Heli-Mech, Ken and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

That isn't noise, that is the sweet music of a 2 stroke. My wife had a crf150f for a short time but just wasn't into any sand or loose material. I'm 200 pounds but I took it for a couple blasts and was impressed with it's power. I also had a crf230f which wasn't a whole lot different than the TW. The thing I noticed about these lesser bikes which have things like a pin and cotter pin through the rear shock eyes is that when you start to push them the lack of suspension shows. When the rear suspension starts working hard on a dirt trail or road things like the slop in those pins starts to clatter. It's only to be expected because you cant get the suspension quality of an MX bike in a $3000 or $4000 bike. Lift the rear of a TW or any of those bikes up and lift and lower the rear wheel and see how much slop is in there.

I have never owned one but always considered a KDX 200/220
    Peterb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Homologized racing has ruined the simple motorcycle forcing manufactures to produce race ready machines for everyday use. As such seat height, maintenance requirements and expenses have gotten rather high. How about engaging the time machine and rebuilding one of the classic trail bikes like a Honda XR200 or KDX200?
    Sure they are two-smokers but the benefits are overwhelming: Light weight, low seat height, no coolant or radiator issues, engines easy to work on, explosive and tunable power hit.Honda XR200R 86 02.jpg
    ^^^if going used i agree with this...try and find a recently rebuilt one though

like this...
    https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mc...535699495.html
    Last edited by Point37; 03-21-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Also the question is how much do you want to work on it? KTM's and Huskies are real nice bikes but take a lot of work to keep them going. Also do you need it to be street legal? If so that narrows it down even more. Lots of questions that need to be answered before making a choice.

If it were me if i was buying brand new it would be a Yamaha WR250R if i wanted to maintain road ability, weight would be similar to a TW but superior suspension. If it was off road only i would go 2 stroke a yx250fx if i were buying new, otherwise used a motocross 250cc to 500cc 2 stroke MX bike regardless of brand. I have always loved 2 strokes and they way they deliver power.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    FYI, Fred the Honda XR is a 4 stroke, always has been. They are a little on the heavy side too compared to a KDX. Good bike tho, i had a XR250 and is was great.
    Last edited by jb882; 03-21-2018 at 02:50 PM.
    Heli-Mech likes this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links