Need advice on buying TW and XT.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Need advice on buying TW and XT.

Need advice on buying TW and XT.

Here's the deal I was offered from a Yamaha dealer. I think this deal is because I have bought other bikes from them before. I have the opportunity to buy, new in the crate, either two 2016 TW200s or one 2016 TW200 and one 2016 XT250. Each bike would be $3499 plus fees, taxes etc... on each bike. 2018 TW is $4599 and the 2018 XT is $5199. Dealer won't budge on the 2018 prices. Plus we don't like the 2018 colors as well as 2016. They need more tan and less black.

My son turns 15 years old the first of April. We've been planning to buy him a TW200. Actually, he has saved up the money for his TW. Unfortunately, I can't find a good used TW around here. I'm not in a position to travel to pick up a bike. I really don't want to pay out for shipping. I'd like to keep that money for riding gear for him. The other TW or XT will be for me to ride with him. I have many other bikes. I would like to have a comparable bike to ride with him. All of my other bikes are bigger and faster.

My question is, should I get two TWs or one TW and one XT? I like both and would ride both. I would like for my son to have the option of riding a couple different bikes. Also, I don't want there to be a conflict over who gets to ride what bike. I also feel that the aftermarket is a bit more supportive for the TW200. There's no question, there will be a TW200 in the shop in the very near future.
    littletommy, Elvesus and Ken like this.

rbm
    I'd go for 2 TW's, your son would most likely get a kick out of having the same bike as Dad.

Lots to think about.
    I think your son would out grow the TW after a season of riding and would want more power and suspension.
    My son learnt on a pw50 then went to a TY250 and when we started to dual sport I road an XT225 and he rode my WR250r.
    Your son will want the more powerful bike - I know mine did.
    ben2go and Ken like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    I'd go for 2 TW's, your son would most likely get a kick out of having the same bike as Dad.
    Good point but he doesn't usually like having anything like mine. Bikes though maybe a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    Lots to think about.
    I think your son would out grow the TW after a season of riding and would want more power and suspension.
    My son learnt on a pw50 then went to a TY250 and when we started to dual sport I road an XT225 and he rode my WR250r.
    Your son will want the more powerful bike - I know mine did.
    Good point. He doesn't really talk about power and speed. He talks more about going the places where I take my CB500X. Mostly forest service roads, fire breaks, powerline trails, and the like. This will be his very first bike. He didn't really catch the bike bug until he saw all of my pics of the places I was riding to. He liked riding with me on my cruiser until he became to big to fit behind me.
    ejfranz and Ken like this.

If I'm not mistaken the XT is not really more capable then a TW off road ( just different ) so the most notable difference is more top speed making it more road capable. It sounds to me like you have road capable covered so I'd go the fun route and get a TW.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 03-21-2018 at 06:58 PM.
    Gulfrider, ben2go and Ken like this.

Tough call but good choices. Either way you won’t go too wrong. If you always want to ride together and go pretty much any place you want to go. Get the T Dubes. If one of you want to play “ Don’t you worry about me I’ll be along to help pick up your XT and we’ll stay on Adventure. It’s one of each. But ya, really a tough call.
    Last edited by upnovr; 03-22-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Id go the (2) - 2016 TW's, you will have both same bikes and be able to keep up with each other. And maintenance will be the same. Something you 2 can learn to do together.
    Trail Woman, Fred, ben2go and 2 others like this.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

Well if the TW & XT can be had the same price and you know the XT lists for $600 more I would say go for one of each and if at some point whether you or your son want more you can then decide which of the bikes to sell since you will both know which model you prefer and why. Another reason that I see for doing this is a little self serving for myself and other members here as you can report back to us which bike is more capable and why. Plus because you and your son can swap bikes we can eliminate rider skill and see if truly one or the other really outshines the other. This all makes perfect sense to me and no doubt this is what you should do!
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

I vote for the two 2016 TWs as long as the additional fees, taxes, etc aren't too additional. What is the out-the-door cost going to be?

Same bike for father and son sounds like an excellent idea, might forestall for a few years the inevitable alienation of adolescents towards their parents as they strive for their own identity. Shared riding experience might keep a loving relationship that pays dividends ten, twenty, thirty years out in the future. Don't you want him to think for as long as possible that "My Dad is so cool!"
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I'd go with the XT's. Getting more for your money, better resale and better on road.

Plus once he starts driving on road the XT will be a better bike for him IMHO.
    ben2go, grewen and Ken like this.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links