Another New Guy - Intro
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Another New Guy - Intro

Another New Guy - Intro

Lurking on the forum for the last week or so as I recently purchased a bone stock 2015 TW with 300 kms on it. Just getting ideas and suggestions for improvements and issues.

Had a Triumph Bonneville when I lived in Hawaii 30 years ago. It fit in with my English car kick I was on at the time. Rarely rode it, because it barely ran. Go out and kick it over until I was sweaty, then usually give up. Needed the Amals rebuilt, I'm guessing. Probably saved my life. Scared the bejesus out of me riding my buddies GXR 750. So motorcycling never really caught on with me then.

In the last 30 years since I've lived in Washington state, Guam, Alberta, and BC. Married and raised a couple of great kids. Traded nuclear submarines, for jobs in agriculture, pulp and paper, and now oil and gas. Always in the maintenance and repair of equipment. English cars are a mere memory. I've daily driven old LandCruisers for the last 25 years. So going slow, on road and off road comes naturally to me.

My son bought a Super Sherpa last year, and ever since I had a niggling that I'd regret not owning a dual sport where I live in the rural coast of BC. So I impulsively took time off of work, and my wife and I enrolled in a 3 day motorcycle training course. Finished the course on a Thursday, bought riding gear the next day, and on Saturday borrowed a buddies truck and brought the bike home on the ferry on Saturday. On the second step of my graduated motorcycle license currently.

Most of my riding will be on logging roads, deactivated logging roads, power line right of ways, and trails. I can ride less than a kilometer from my house to access the back country. I may on occasion, take a ferry to Texada Island, or the lower Sunshine Coast, but I have oodles of riding in the Powell River, BC area.

PS: I'm not really a spy, that's my boats name...
    2015 TW200 with the usual farkles. Powell River, BC, Canada

Welcome from Eastern Ontario! Congrats to you and the wife for taking the plunge!
    littletommy, Elvesus, Ken and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

Welcome from Nanaimo!
    ejfranz, littletommy, Ken and 1 others like this.
    John in Nanaimo

2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards, homemade wind deflector, Manracks utility rack

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome from Maple Ridge.
    If you have a front stock tire on the bike swap it out for a trials tire. They work great in our terrain.
    Elvesus, Ken and NorthernSpy like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Welcome!!

I like submarines... which one were you on?
    Elvesus, Ken and NorthernSpy like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I was on the USS Indianapolis, a Los Angeles class fast boat, in the 80's, and taught auxiliary systems of the Ohio class in Bangor, Wa.
    Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Welcome!! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://tw200forum.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

I like submarines... which one were you on?
    littletommy, Elvesus and Ken like this.

Thanks for the info.
    I was wondering about that, as I see many of the forum members are from arid climates. I have a Shinko 241 in my basket on Fortnine.com, but haven't ordered yet... still filling the basket. &#x1f642;
    Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    Welcome from Maple Ridge.
    If you have a front stock tire on the bike swap it out for a trials tire. They work great in our terrain.
    Elvesus, ejfranz and Ken like this.

My dad was COB on the Swordfish and the Gurnard. I was kind of the crew mascot. The periscope might as well had my name on it... Lots of good memories, plus I went on a couple kiddy cruises, which I'm pretty sure they don't do that anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernSpy View Post
    I was on the USS Indianapolis, a Los Angeles class fast boat, in the 80's, and taught auxiliary systems of the Ohio class in Bangor, Wa.
    grewen, Elvesus, ejfranz and 3 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

welcome and that basket at Fortnine...........bottomless!!
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    welcome and that basket at Fortnine...........bottomless!!
    Check out DualSport Plus too (also Canadian). It doesn't have as big a selection as FortNine but you can find some unique offerings and good deals there.
    putt-putt, ejfranz, Ken and 5 others like this.
    John in Nanaimo

2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards, homemade wind deflector, Manracks utility rack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links