Transitioning Gear, DR -> TW
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Transitioning Gear, DR -> TW

Transitioning Gear, DR -> TW

Having search the forum and it returning too many threads to go through looking for items.
    The returns were unrelated to what i was actually looking for.

The DR was not really overloaded, just bulky.
    Looking for replacement items.

Tent : Passage 1, weight is comparable to other 1 person setups. Just over 3 lbs.
    Don't like it only because of side opening, too hard to get in and out of for me. Tent in comparable weight, with end opening would be desirable.
    Had a Starlight some 20 years ago that was great. not manufactured any longer.

Sleep System : Big Angus Sleep System, sleeping bag (3 lbs) and air mattress (1 lb) weighs too much and takes up too much room for the smaller tail bag I want to use on the TW.
    Get rid of Big Angus stuff, if something else will work.
    Mummy bags feel too confining. It can be 90 deg at night or below freezing in a single trip, even just a few days apart.
    Have a pad i can use. It is not a sleeping pad, but an exercise pad that is thicker than the sleeping pads i found at Academy. Have not tried it out yet. Roll it up and strap on somewhere.

I have the medium size Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffel. 24 in long.
    Would like to be able to drop down to the smaller size.

Side Racks : Each side bag I use weighs in at 15 lbs. yes i weigh them when packing.
    Was wanting to use these on the TW : Happy Trails SL (Soft Luggage) Racks from Procycle, unsure if the will support 15 lbs.

Top tail bag, it comes in at just under 30 lbs. Might hit 40 depending on spares (DR) carried.

Looking for other TW riders' comments on these items in here.

As a side note, i want to put the XT225 tank on the TW, but have not found enough info that tells me to do it.

Thanks,

Nicor
    Last edited by Nicoradv; 03-29-2018 at 02:32 PM.
    If a bike is plated, it's suppose to be ridden, not hauled on a trailer.
    2002 DR650SE, 2001 TW200

Alas, the sticky for the xt225 Clarke tank is hampered by the Photobucket goobering of photos, but the words work. I did update the photos for the xt350 oem tank sticky and the mounting is largely the same . . . so you might benefit from looking at all of the tank sticky threads and being creative.
    When I rigged saddlebags for my bike, I used a yoke across the back of the seat to support most of the weight and used side brackets primarily for keeping the bag away from the bike/muffler/rest of frame. I collect rocks in my saddlebags so I know they will hold weight. Enjoy the planning.
    littletommy likes this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    Alas, the sticky for the xt225 Clarke tank is hampered by the Photobucket goobering of photos, but the words work. I did update the photos for the xt350 oem tank sticky and the mounting is largely the same . . . so you might benefit from looking at all of the tank sticky threads and being creative.
    When I rigged saddlebags for my bike, I used a yoke across the back of the seat to support most of the weight and used side brackets primarily for keeping the bag away from the bike/muffler/rest of frame. I collect rocks in my saddlebags so I know they will hold weight. Enjoy the planning.
    I can see the pics for the XT225 now that GoldenHTR posted on a thread, #10 on it.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...ght-tw200.html
    2002 DR650SE, 2001 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have been an "Ultralight" backpacker for some years. The name of the game is getting your big 3 ( tent, sleep system, pack ) as close to the Sub 3-4lb mark.

Start checking out some long distance backpacker videos or blogs, much of the gear could be a great build for an Ultralight ADVDub system. I am just glad I don't have to go out and buy a bunch of new gear.

My tent- Henry Shire Tarp Tent Double Rainbow - 41oz. Have slept below 20* comfortably

Sleep System - down quilt
    sectionhiker.com/sectionhiker-gear-guide/10-best-ultralight-backpacking-quilts/[/url]
    With a Thermarest Prolight
    thermarest.com/mattresses/prolite[/url]

Cooking
    Jetboil
    jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com/stoves-systems/flash-cooking-system[/url]

I imagine even some of the Ultralight Packs would make a great trail rack bag- many of these bags are 1-2 lbs or less!
    sectionhiker.com/sectionhiker-gear-guide/5-best-ultralight-backpacking-packs/[/url]

Add the www to my posts as the site wont let me post links yet

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYRIG View Post
    I have been an "Ultralight" backpacker for some years. The name of the game is getting your big 3 ( tent, sleep system, pack ) as close to the Sub 3-4lb mark.

Start checking out some long distance backpacker videos or blogs, much of the gear could be a great build for an Ultralight ADVDub system. I am just glad I don't have to go out and buy a bunch of new gear.

My tent- Henry Shire Tarp Tent Double Rainbow - 41oz. Have slept below 20* comfortably

Sleep System - down quilt
    sectionhiker.com/sectionhiker-gear-guide/10-best-ultralight-backpacking-quilts/[/url]
    With a Thermarest Prolight
    thermarest.com/mattresses/prolite[/url]

Cooking
    Jetboil
    jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com/stoves-systems/flash-cooking-system[/url]

I imagine even some of the Ultralight Packs would make a great trail rack bag- many of these bags are 1-2 lbs or less!
    sectionhiker.com/sectionhiker-gear-guide/5-best-ultralight-backpacking-packs/[/url]

Add the www to my posts as the site wont let me post links yet
    What, you mean the total weight of the big 3 below the 3-4 lb ? Sheesh.

I use the Pocket Rocket. Been using them for 20 years. An 8 oz can will last me a maybe a week, make that 2 weeks.
    I have been packing two cans. Now i am asking myself why I did that, mostly because i wanted to make sure i didn't run out right when i was needing some coffee.

Started out the with MSR liquid one,. Just didn't like dealing with filling it back up.

I'll look up the other items you listed.

Thanks.

edit :

The tent, not too sure of. It's a maybe.

The quilt I do like it and the main reason is that i do sleep on my side. That's why i have 25 in wdie sleeping bag. Just more room than mummy for me.

I did have a self inflating Thermorest, i threw it away. Didn't like it one bit.
    Last edited by Nicoradv; 03-29-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    2002 DR650SE, 2001 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoradv View Post
    I did have a self inflating Thermorest, i threw it away. Didn't like it one bit.
    Self inflating except for two big breaths. I've loved all mine for the last 25 years.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    Self inflating except for two big breaths. I've loved all mine for the last 25 years.
    Yes, i would do that also, still didn't like it.

Seemed i could never stay on it.
    That's why I went with the Big Angus Sleep System.
    The inflatable mattress with that slipped into a pocket attached/sewed under the sleeping bag made to do that.
    Last edited by Nicoradv; 03-29-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    2002 DR650SE, 2001 TW200

For me it would be easier and cheaper to lay off the beer for a week or two to drop three pounds on "equipment".

I get the ultralight gear dealio when I'm carrying it, but not so much with the hydrocarbon assist.
    2015 TW200 with the usual farkles. Powell River, BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernSpy View Post
    For me it would be easier and cheaper to lay off the beer for a week or two to drop three pounds on "equipment".

I get the ultralight gear dealio when I'm carrying it, but not so much with the hydrocarbon assist.
    I don't drink alcoholic beverages. What few pounds overweight i am is quickly shed during the trips i take.
    Last edited by Nicoradv; 03-29-2018 at 11:24 PM.
    2002 DR650SE, 2001 TW200

No worries. I’m just saying that there are alternative ways of decreasing overall weight on an expedition. If I recall correctly, Hermann Buhl, used to show up pudgy on most of his himilayan expeditions, because it was easier to carry fat on the body than food in a pack. Statistically speaking, it would be easier, healthier, and cheaper to drop 3 lbs in body weight, than in tent weight. Consider it an alternative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links