No wheeled trailer?
Close

I'm not sure if I've asked this question and can't find any info on the site... so I apologize if this has already been covered. I'm curious what opinions might be.

I drive a KIA Forte5 so my options are kinda limited. I could get a conventional trailer but would like to explore this idea as it looks damned easy to build my own. I'm looking at building something along the lines of what "Cycle Tow" offers as shown here. To help prevent overheating the trans on the bike I would pop the master link out and remove the chain or zip tie it to the swinger.

This one look's incomplete to me... I think it needs a cross mounted bar near the back bumper to make tie down better... but it is similar to what I had in mind.

The KIA is actually the wifes car... I sold my right hand drive Japanese mini truck last spring and haven't replaced it with another vehicle yet.

z
    Full custom 2008 TW200/250 build pics of my bike... I call her TW (short for "Twice Wicked" for her almost doubled HP Hidden Content )

Hidden Content

Newest member of the herd... 1987 Honda CBX250... this bike will become a board tracker this summer

Hidden Content

Bought another bike last fall (2012) ... 1982 Kawasaki KZ305 it's a "mostly done" bobber project I got for practically nothing

Hidden Content

Haulers of that type have a lot of upsides but they've fallen in and out of favor for perhaps as long as there have been motorcycles. They're a good solution for downsizing.

The primary arguments against are driveline wear and the potential for catastrophe if the bike should bounce into gear. Backing up can be "interesting" if it becomes neccessary.

I had one in the '80's and want another now.I never gave a rip about the driveline/tire wear issues. This isn't the sort of rig I'd haul cross country in the first place, but the potential for the bike to fall into gear is real. Most people who've used them at least remove the shifter when hauling so that there's no chance of a pothole dropping the bike into gear. Others remove the chain.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I also use a zip tie to hold the clutch lever in against the handgrip.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Another difficulty that you could encounter with your little Kia is that most hitches made for small cars are limited to Class 1 and have 1 1/4" receivers intended for light duty. You may have a little trouble finding a compatible hitch/carrier carrier combo. Most of the carriers are probably designed for a standard receiver.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Another difficulty that you could encounter with your little Kia is that most hitches made for small cars are limited to Class 1 and have 1 1/4" receivers intended for light duty. You may have a little trouble finding a compatible hitch/carrier carrier combo. Most of the carriers are probably designed for a standard receiver.

Yes I thought of that, I figured if I make my own carrier I could match it up to whatever hitch I get mounted on the KIA.

z
    Full custom 2008 TW200/250 build pics of my bike... I call her TW (short for "Twice Wicked" for her almost doubled HP Hidden Content )

Hidden Content

Newest member of the herd... 1987 Honda CBX250... this bike will become a board tracker this summer

Hidden Content

Bought another bike last fall (2012) ... 1982 Kawasaki KZ305 it's a "mostly done" bobber project I got for practically nothing

Hidden Content

If you purchased a real trailer you may start using it more than you think for other projects.

Sponosred Links