Back in love with my T-dub!
Close

I have to admit, the last month or so I haven't been showing my TW much love. I got this new KLR and all of a sudden I just couldn't get excited about saddling up 455 less ccs.

The wife was riding the TW a lot there for a while and it looked like she was gonna be my new riding partner, so I bought the KLR to have a more highway capable bike that could still cruise the FS roads alongside the Mrs. on the old TW. Long story short, the Mrs. decided that the front seat wasn't for her after all before the KLR was even broken in. I was worried the TW's battery might die from lack of use so I took her out for a spin today.

At first, hopping back onto the TW felt a little, well, goofy. I'd ridden it briefly a few times in the last month to the park it or fill it up with gas, but the five miles of slab between my house and the FS road were an exercise in settling. The KLR650 is no Super Sport, but the ergonomics and power put the TW to shame on the street. Fortunately, I wasn't headed for the street

After a month of conditioning on the sky-high stupid-heavy KLR, riding the TW on dirt felt as fun and fancy free as flicking around a mountain bike. When the KLR starts to tip over one must summon the strength of a new mother hoisting a wayward Buick off of her infant to keep the bike upright. When the TW starts to tip, you just touch your foot to the ground and it seems to change its mind. I was tearing down the dirt road faster than I ever had before, and those brief moments of lost traction felt more fun than terrifying.

When I came to the marker indicating a "high-clearance 4x4 only" FS road off to the right, my newfound confidence convinced me to tackle it. I quickly came to understand the "high clearance 4x4 only" advisement, but I cannot imagine the twisted mental reality of the sick bastard that elected to designate this rocky waste a "road".

I persevered nonetheless, never making it to 2nd and frequently having to hop off to guide the bike between rocks or plan descents down what appeared to be seasonally dry waterfalls.

After about a mile I seized the opportunity to turn back. This was the most physically and technically demanding riding that I've done yet, and it's a miracle that I made it out without accidentally draining all of my oil!

It was just a taste, but I'm hooked! This is the kind of trail riding that the TW is meant for! I see a TCI skid plate and another visit to this "road" in my near future.

I have a newfound appreciation for the TW as a gutsy trail hound, and I promise to share photographic evidence after my next attempt at FS 37!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

I am in close to the same boat! I got a DR 650 this Summer and really enjoy it. For the trails though you just can't beat the little t-dub! I also experienced some new found confidence on the t-dub. Some days I just feel like going slow and riding my goofy little t-dub . Each bike has it's purpose, no plans to get rid of the tw any time soon!
    Bryan Bagwell

1995 Yamaha TW200

1983 Toyota PU

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara

yep, need a better skid plate if your going to ride over and around chunks of rocks which is quite fun and challenging. Want more fun with your TW. ride in a dry creek bed in sand and gravel.....
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    When I came to the marker indicating a "high-clearance 4x4 only" FS road off to the right, my newfound confidence convinced me to tackle it. I quickly came to understand the "high clearance 4x4 only" advisement, but I cannot imagine the twisted mental reality of the sick bastard that elected to designate this rocky waste a "road".

Fun-neeee! I think I've ridden that "road" but I couldn't have described it any better!!!

ANd thats why i perfer a tw over some high strung 250 or 450 bike. Not into 5th gear pinned rides but still like to power thru obstacles and still enjoy doing some of the harder technical stuff!
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    When the KLR starts to tip over one must summon the strength of a new mother hoisting a wayward Buick off of her infant to keep the bike upright. When the TW starts to tip, you just touch your foot to the ground and it seems to change its mind.

A well written and interesting post indeed! I particularly love the imagery of the above quote. I, at 5' nothin', couldn't imagine even hopping onto a KLR from a trampoline let alone being able to stay upright on one. I'm glad you were able to rekindle your romance with our beloved dub.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

So True! The Tdub gives you the confidence to try things you'd never otherwise try!!!

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

Sponosred Links