Rokon
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rokon

In the same vein as a TW200, there is the Rokon brand of motorcycles. I have been interested in the Rokons for a long time. For those who may not know, the Rokon motorcycle offers a 2 wheel drive, fat tired "utility" motorcycle with a bullet-proof Kohler or Honda engine, hollow rims to store water or fuel, and geared for pulling stumps:

My dad has a hunting cabin in Montana and has been looking for a vehicle that can both be run on the road (no paperwork is needed for road use in Montana) and to use for hunting, working and exploring. I showed him my new TW200 and he liked it, and is considering buying one. I'm trying to talk him into the Rokon Trailbreaker. Although they only go about 25mph, they will go anywhere. They just look like so much fun to me. The thought of exploring the Montana bush on one sounds amazing.

What do you guys think? Rokon or TW200? Obviously this is a biased forum, but both have their strengths.
    2009 CRF230F - 2013 TW200

I've always liked the Rokons as well. I think I would have to take one for a ride in the woods or in the mountains first, and then make my decision. I guess for me, if I needed/wanted a little goat like this for camping/exploring/etc, I would be torn between this and a quad that could haul more gear. Either way, these bikes are damn cool.

Bart

I mentioned going with a quad or a side by side but for most of the woods/trails they're too wide. The motorcycle would be able to find it's way a lot easier.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Rokons are neat for all the well-known reasons, plus they sell a load of accessories nowadays. You can get a uni-trailer from them, a sidecar, skidder, plow, mower, sprayer, etc.

It can really be your tractor. The only issues are longevity and price. TW's have been mostly the same, so parts are easy. Rokons have switched motors over the years and the old Chrysler 2 strokes are hard to find parts for. I think they use Kohler nowadays, so you have to hope Kohler keeps their parts in stock over the years. The Rokon stuff itself is easy to get and a lot of the unique parts could be fabbed up by any shade tree mechanic in a pinch. And the price, it's expensive, but a specialty vehicle I suppose.

If I had one, I'd set out to making money with it right away to offset the cost.

I hate pullstarts as well but I think the modern ones have an e-start. Not sure.

I am pretty sure a couple forum members actually have Rokons, I can't remember for the life of me who does though.
    -Szj

2001 TW

They sell an EFI model now as well, which would be great for Montana. I'll have to look if they're electric start, I think they are now.

Side note: I have a 22hp Kohler lawn tractor that's 16 years old. It was my dads before me, and he never changed the break-in oil. In 16 years it's had 1 oil change (by me) and it starts and runs like a champ. The oil was like cottage cheese when I drained it.

OK I was wrong there is no EFI, I don't know where I thought I saw that.

The Trail-Breaker model has electric start and a Kohler 208cc 7hp engine. The Ranger model has a Honda 160cc 5hp engine pull start.

All models are carbed with high altitude adjustments.

The Trail-Breaker has front suspension too.

Their site says the Trail-Breaker will go 35mph, and the Ranger will go 30mph. There is a Scout model that uses the Kohler 7 horse engine without some of the gadgets.

I really like the Rokons, growing up my friends dad had one and a few goat-totes. Very useful and fun, but definitely not as well rounded as a TW. Rokons are more specific in what they do, kind of like a motocross motorcycle is specific in what it does well. They are masters at what they do, the TW is a Jack of all riding....

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

$6600 for a new Trail-Breaker, that's a bit ridiculous. I guess when it's a niche market you can't sell the volume to lower your margins.

What are the top speeds on those, I can only find 25-40mph wot range listed across the web.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links