Suspension Too Stiff
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Little General

Thread: Suspension Too Stiff

I sure would like to soften my suspension, especially the front. My mechanic recommended 5 wt fork oil. Would this make enough difference for a not so agressive rider? I have little hope for the rear with it's non adjusting shock. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Another related item...somewhere in the rear suspension is a groaning noise when pressing down on the seat. I can't find any fittings on either of the upper or lower rear shock bushings. How do you lube them? I greased one of the two swing arm fittings. The other would not take any grease and the one that did, took very little. Neither side showed any new grease coming from the bushing.I may need to get a tighter fitting grease gun nozzle. That little grease seemed to stop a similar or same noise for a few miles. Need help here...Thanks !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan P View Post
    I sure would like to soften my suspension, especially the front. My mechanic recommended 5 wt fork oil. Would this make enough difference for a not so agressive rider? I have little hope for the rear with it's non adjusting shock. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Another related item...somewhere in the rear suspension is a groaning noise when pressing down on the seat. I can't find any fittings on either of the upper or lower rear shock bushings. How do you lube them? I greased one of the two swing arm fittings. The other would not take any grease and the one that did, took very little. Neither side showed any new grease coming from the bushing.I may need to get a tighter fitting grease gun nozzle. That little grease seemed to stop a similar or same noise for a few miles. Need help here...Thanks !!!

I"m not qualified to answer the 5 wt in the forks question, but as far as the grease fittings go, they are often neglected. Clean them both with kerosene or other solvent, take a piece of wire or tiny drill bit with a flat end and try to push the ball down into the fitting just a little to break it loose. Then grease until some comes out each bushing. If your nozzle is too loose it will just come out around the zerk fitting, but some fiddling with the angle may allow it to work. Worst case, if they are frozen, replace them....not very expensive.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Thanks for the help. Probably need to replace the fittings. The bike is an '06 with only 600+ miles. I just got it a few days ago. Thanks again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the help. Probably need to replace the fittings. The bike is an '06 with only 600+ miles. I just got it a few days ago. Thanks again.

If this isn't a type o, then a 2006 with 600 miles is brand new. I say ride the hell out of it and see if it softens up. I wish mine wouldn't bottom out, wanna trade?
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Keep riding. It will soften up. One other option is to remove the top cap and cut the preload spacer shorter--ride a little longer though first. You can use pvc to dial it in then cut the oem spacers to the desired length. Another option is progressive rate springs made for the TW. I have them. Most people on the forum want the front suspension stiffer though. As for the fittings, I had to use two hands to hold the nozzel and have another person pump the grease. It may take a few tries to get the right angle.

Lizardbrth is likely the one to talk to. There is some information he posted here, but I am not sure where. Here is a link. It is also copied to the Wiki TW site. Gerry

http://tw200.wiki-si...ront_Suspension
    Take care my Friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by dustyg View Post
    Keep riding. It will soften up. One other option is to remove the top cap and cut the preload spacer shorter--ride a little longer though first. You can use pvc to dial it in then cut the oem spacers to the desired length. Another option is progressive rate springs made for the TW. I have them. Most people on the forum want the front suspension stiffer though. As for the fittings, I had to use two hands to hold the nozzel and have another person pump the grease. It may take a few tries to get the right angle.

Great idea resizing the pre load spacer. I had a professional motorcycle mechanic change the fork oil to 5wt, but no significant difference.....maybe a little. Maybe more in summer. He also softened the rear shock. Even Yamaha did not claim it is adjustable, but it is. There are 3 groves that a circlip like device will fit in. Mine was in the middle position. The softer position grove can be seen with the shock on the bike, but with great difficulty. Shock must be removed to change adjustment. Made some difference maybe??? I agree that the shocks are stiff from being new. One problem seems to be that the front tire is out of balance. Bounces at around 30 mph, but smooths out as you go faster. Don't notice that on dirt roads even hard pacted. Thanks all for your input....Dan P

I bought an 07 and the tires looked new , but when I replaced them it made a huge difference. Install new grease fittings for sure and check the level of the oil in the shocks. Too much will make it too firm
    lizrdbrth likes this.

Suspension too soft?!?! Well I guess theres a first for everything....
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmStateCrawler View Post
    Suspension too soft?!?! Well I guess theres a first for everything....
    Too soft unless you're 100 lbs.... I just upgraded the front an rear springs to .60 and 15k from Procycle, the difference is amazing, no more bottoming out and more sure footed on the street and more importantly on the dirt.

Sponosred Links