Custom Built Trailer Hitch Carrier for a TW200
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Custom Built Trailer Hitch Carrier for a TW200

I custom built a trailer hitch carrier for my tw200. It has some different design features that I thought would be of interest here. Overall, I have about $100 in it for materials which includes all the steel, paint, and fasteners. I did the cutting and welding myself so that part just cost me my time. The carrier has fold down wheel chocks that box in both wheels so the bike cannot fall off the carrier even if all the tie down straps fail. Here are some photos of it.

Photo showing wheel chocks folded down.

Here is a photo showing the wheel chocks lifted up.

The tie down straps anchor the bike rock solid to the carrier.

The hitch tightener takes all the wobble out and I got it from http://www.hitchclamp.com. A bolt was used as a hitch pin and drilled out so a padlock can be inserted through it to prevent theft.

A also made the tail rack and mounted an action packer box on it. Plans are to mount a rifle case on the tail rack next to the box and install a 12 volt power supply inside the box.

The bike is loaded onto the carrier from the right side and pushed off the carrier from the left side.

dette, Fred and pair of jacks like this.

Hi Fursniper,

Looks like a very well thought-out and constructed carrier with a number of novel features. Nice work!

Brian

You sir are a craftsman. The thing rocks. You should produce them. Looks better than any I have seen.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Very nice! You might want to get your price point established as I can envision some orders coming your way. Good work.
    2007 TW200

that is styling! looks very functional and stout. what does it weigh? i have a double carrier and it is a bear to manage.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Nicely done.... Gerry

Fred likes this.
    Take care my Friend.........

That's very nice work and design. But honestly; these type carriers would give me a worry rash. All that leverage from both ends; twisting and turning. I think I would have to have some type of support on at least one end that hooks to the bumper. I suppose you could run straps from the eye bolts on the back of your bed; but that would probably rub on the body, and ruin the paint. A fellow like you could come up with a simple fix; I'm sure.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. The whole thing weighs 75 pounds including the loading ramp. I built this as a hobby project and did not have any intentions to make more. Never expected to get a missing link award....HOLY COW! That really made my day. I have learned a bunch from this website and it was rewarding for me to contribute a new idea here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwizard View Post
    That's very nice work and design. But honestly; these type carriers would give me a worry rash. All that leverage from both ends; twisting and turning. I think I would have to have some type of support on at least one end that hooks to the bumper. I suppose you could run straps from the eye bolts on the back of your bed; but that would probably rub on the body, and ruin the paint. A fellow like you could come up with a simple fix; I'm sure.

I had those same concerns. The amount of twisting and turning with the bike on the carrier ended up being so slight that I changed my mind about putting support brackets under the ends of the rail. When the TW200 is on the carrier, it takes about 75 pounds of force to get about 1 inch of movement (up/down) at the ends of the rail. The hitch tightener takes all the wobble and play out of the trailer hitch receiver. The hitch tube is 1/4" thick steel and the attachment of the rails to the hitch tube was done by plating and bolting, not welding.

love the inboard tire stops - good job.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links