TW has ruined other bikes for me
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: TW has ruined other bikes for me

TW has ruined other bikes for me

So my TW is out of commission while I make some minor repairs, but I wanted to go for a ride, so I took my son's XT225 out on the trail.

Now I'm not an experienced dirt bike rider. 99% of my experience has come just in the last 6 weeks or so, all on the TW.

But right away I noticed how squirrely the XT was. Those skinny tires were sliding all over the place, and this is on the same trail that I'd been taking with my TW and not experiencing any issues. I actually crashed at one point because I lost control when the rear tire slid out to the right more than I was expecting.

It's strange, because fat tires being better for dirt is something bicyclists discovered ages ago. Mountain bikes and beach cruisers have fat tires, and those road racing bikes like they use in the tour de France have skinny tires. Why has the motorcycling world not caught up to this? I would think the TW fat tires would be the norm, and only people who do a special type of racing would want the skinny tires.

Anywho, now I face a dilemma. Do I ride the XT more often to increase my skinny-tire skills, or do I just stick with the TW and have a blast, knowing that I can't ride other dirt bikes very well.
    Dryden-Tdub, ejfranz, Fred and 4 others like this.

Does the XT have the stock death wing (Trail Wing) tire on the back? if so that would explain the squirrelly felling.
    A trials tire on the back of the XT will provide more traction just like it does on the front of a TW.
    I have a Motoz Extreme Hybrid (130-90-18) on the back of my DT and it has way more traction then a stock rear TW tire but not as much as the Duro power grip in mud, snow and sand.
    Ken and grewen like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

I've found that "skinny" tired bikes usually handle better than the TW, if they have decent tires on them. I find the TW to be sluggish handling offroad, but the low seat height and and easy power delivery make for a great bike to do so off road exploring. Just can't be in a hurry on a TW.
    Ken, Peterb, ToolmanJohn and 1 others like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The comparison really depends on the conditions. I find skinny tire bikes cut corners much faster without the back end sliding out as much because their gravity is focused on a narrower tread. Meanwhile both of my tires will slide out trying to keep up with faster skinny tire bikes. But in moss and mud they dig themselves in deeper then a TW would.
    Ken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    Does the XT have the stock death wing (Trail Wing) tire on the back? if so that would explain the squirrelly felling.
    A trials tire on the back of the XT will provide more traction just like it does on the front of a TW.
    I have a Motoz Extreme Hybrid (130-90-18) on the back of my DT and it has way more traction then a stock rear TW tire but not as much as the Duro power grip in mud, snow and sand.
    is the Trail Wing the stock tire on the XT225?
    Ken likes this.

I believe Trail wings are stock on all Yamaha dual sports.
    Ken likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

The TW200 has not ruined me. I find the TW to be pleasurable to ride. I am old enough now that I am not what I call a blaster anymore. The TW is fun for me. I still wish it had a 6 speed. Not because I want to do 100plus.

Can I climb the biggest baddest hills? No Can I race around the street like a crotch rocket? No Can I cruise from state to state in the lap of luxury? no

I like the TW because it gets great fuel economy. I can ride into places that are more difficult. I can still run down to the the store. The TW has balance. I believe it does these same things well. Not great but well.
    TW200 number 2. 2018 1.1 miles when I picked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by koolhandlinc View Post
    The TW200 has not ruined me. I find the TW to be pleasurable to ride. I am old enough now that I am not what I call a blaster anymore. The TW is fun for me. I still wish it had a 6 speed. Not because I want to do 100plus.

Can I climb the biggest baddest hills? No Can I race around the street like a crotch rocket? No Can I cruise from state to state in the lap of luxury? no

I like the TW because it gets great fuel economy. I can ride into places that are more difficult. I can still run down to the the store. The TW has balance. I believe it does these same things well. Not great but well.
    I'm with all of that. The TW covers the best riding. It does it slow, sure, it takes you to the back country and guess what, you get to see things along the way. There are faster bikes on the off road single track, sure, but the TW will get there and be much more enjoyable for us folks that don't need speed. For the open road I have the Goldwing, but the fun it is the TW.
    ejfranz, Tweaker, Donzo and 1 others like this.

The Dub is perfect for me - I tend to use all the power a machine has.....If I had a KTM 500 2 stroke I'd end up in traction lol! I don't bounce anymore -- I break ;P
    TW gets me out there easily, is very reliable, flat out fun and yet has enough power to keep the ride interesting.
    Miaugi likes this.

When I was younger I drove as fast I could all the time! i am very lucky to have survived my youth without any serious injuries. The TW has helped me suppress those youthful instincts and slow down and enjoy the moment.
    Miaugi likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links