Collectible TW's? I don't want to "offend"
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Collectible TW's? I don't want to "offend"

Collectible TW's? I don't want to "offend"

I once had a rifle I picked up at a gun show pretty cheap. I really wanted just the action (98 Mauser) for a project build so I proceeded to tear it apart. Once word got around that I had "mutilated" a mint WW2 Mauser 98 I found that I had destroyed a collectible and not just a random surplus rifle. Oops! While I don't regret the match rifle I created, I do understand the feelings others had towards it when any 98 action would have worked. I now try to avoid that mistake. Thankfully, I have moved on to Savage and AR type rifles since 98's became rather pricey to build to the same standard.

Why do I relay that little story? Well, I now have a 22yr old TW in my garage and I am looking to modify it. Most are easily reversible like the lights, rear box, and such, but the moment I start tearing off the stickers and break out the air brush to paint it, it will no longer be savable. I don't plan to ever resell the bike, but can respect if I am about to do something that will be sacrilegious to the TW community. Am I?

The bike is a 1996 California model. About to click 1k miles (I got it a month ago with 740). The color scheme isn't bad, just gaudy to me.

Assuming I am not, what it the easiest way to remove the decals without destroying the plastics? I am thinking a blue on black with the blue matching the frame and a couple tasteful Yamaha decals on the side. Still brainstorming ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Why dont u just replace it. Wrap those and keep'em.
    Then u can do anything u want with the after market ones.
    If a bike is plated, it's suppose to be ridden, not hauled on a trailer.
    2002 DR650SE, 2001 TW200

Heat gun....but watch the heat since it can warp the plastics...then some thinner(varsol) to remove the residue. I did that and paint and much more to a brand new 2015.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 04-18-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    Ken and Smitty Blackstone like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

To be honest, if there is no reason to worry about them, I am not concerned enough to keep them. Since my son will be learning on this bike in a few months they would likely get replaced during that. Unless there is some hidden value in these ones, I have no reason to save them. If there is, then I would consider it just to be safe.
    Cornelis likes this.

Hey Pony,

Thanks for asking this question. Looks like you have a very nice, unmolested TW that is in great shape, and I personally like that color scheme. But. . . . .

It is not my bike, and you should feel free to do whatever you want to with it. Yamaha has been making basically the same bike for over 30 years now so there there are lots of them out there. TW's are not rare and I would not consider any particular year to be a "collectible" model. While I appreciate seeing older TW's that are still in their original condition, I also appreciate bikes that are being used for their intended purpose and have the bumps and bruises to prove it. I also appreciate owners that personalize their bikes to suit their needs and tastes (even though I may not like the same look as they do).

Except for the tank graphics, the stickers should come off easily with the application of a little heat. You may then need to use a solvent to remove any remaining adhesive residue.

Brian

That particular colour scheme, together with the Black Widow, both versions of the Rainbow Warrior, the Teal one, and the seldom seen “light purple” – are all desirable to some of us – but, it’s your bike, do what you gottta do

On the flip side – the less examples of that colour scheme about, the more collectable the unmolested ones become to those who care about this stuff

If you put “site tw200forum.com removing decals” into the address bar of any browser, you will come up with many threads on removing decals ……
    Ken and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

You could put the plastics up for auction and use the proceeds to offset the cost of a more desirable set of plastic

Also..I'd go with a darker blue then the frame. Resulting in a two tone blue and black.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 04-18-2018 at 12:29 PM.
    Gdcpony and Smitty Blackstone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    That particular colour scheme, together with the Black Widow, both versions of the Rainbow Warrior, the Teal one, and the seldom seen “light purple” — are all desirable to some of us — but, it’s your bike, do what you gottta do

On the flip side — the less examples of that colour scheme about, the more collectable the unmolested ones become to those who care about this stuff

If you put “site tw200forum.com removing decals” into the address bar of any browser, you will come up with many threads on removing decals ……
    Exactly why I thought I would ask. Imagine the story I started with. I only valued the action of the rifle while others valued the matching numbers, the stock, and the era of the rifle. It was too late when a guy offered 4 actions and a couple Boyd's (pretty high end) stocks for just that one $75 rifle I picked up only due to it's price. I think he cried when I told him the rifle was already beyond the point of returning it to factory (stock burned, bluing removed, new barrel already mated up and old one scrapped). I would have taken the deal hands down as you can guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Hey Pony,

Thanks for asking this question. Looks like you have a very nice, unmolested TW that is in great shape, and I personally like that color scheme. But. . . . .

It is not my bike, and you should feel free to do whatever you want to with it. Yamaha has been making basically the same bike for over 30 years now so there there are lots of them out there. TW's are not rare and I would not consider any particular year to be a "collectible" model. While I appreciate seeing older TW's that are still in their original condition, I also appreciate bikes that are being used for their intended purpose and have the bumps and bruises to prove it. I also appreciate owners that personalize their bikes to suit their needs and tastes (even though I may not like the same look as they do).

Except for the tank graphics, the stickers should come off easily with the application of a little heat. You may then need to use a solvent to remove any remaining adhesive residue.

Brian
    Personally, yours looks awesome, but I am not into a frame up re-paint to turn the frame from blue. So I am going to try and compliment it as best I can.

After reading the replies, I now know that others out there may love this color scheme. Aside from the tank, off brand plastics aren't that pricey. Maybe I should pick up a set and throw those on while offering these to someone who may need them. After all, I doubt that many of bikes manage 22yrs without some damage. Now, to price a cheap tank...

I know the bike itself will gain hard use with me and my son who will be learning on it. So storing the body pieces would just be a waste. I can see it becoming not ill maintained as I am a maintenance fanatic, but at least...well used. My average car has 200k mile on it and my bikes are all over 50k with a couple being 75k one over 100k right now.

Black plastics with navy blue accents. There are several variations on blue tanks out there. I considered a similar approach in complimenting my grey frame. I would have rather olive drab but I'll do a complete tear down later.

Take a look at this thread - see if you can find one that suits - https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...ollection.html

It may narrow down your search - at which point, stick a "WTB" (wanted to buy) ad in the classified section here .....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links