Hey'o!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hey'o!

Hey'o!

Well, figure i should do this the proper way, since my first post was in the classifieds (selling my BW to fund TW, lol).

Anyway got rid of my big wheel quickly, quicker than i thought i would. Dont worry, still have one more, lol

20171020_182036.jpg

And found this nice little TW a few days later. 2006 with 24xx miles, for $2k. I guess that a decent deal... Anyway, just got my motorcycle endorsement today (after riding without it for 20 years, ssshhh Now i dont have to worry on the back roads anymore.

Did notice the infamous lower gasket weep. Just a weep right now, so not going to worry about it too quickly. Also some rust in gas tank (whats best route for that, vinegar, evapo-rust?) Got it on the back of the truck on a HF carrier right now, will try to get a pic of that up later. Its been updated, now has steel bottom plate, seems solid. Also quick to load. Anyway, look forward to bugging all of y'all for your good info, lol...

20180412_185128.jpgreceived_10215615256919053.jpeg
    Last edited by ZacoWacko; 04-18-2018 at 03:46 PM.
    Ken, Elvesus, Gulfrider and 7 others like this.

Welcome to the madness

Someone will be along any minute to advise on the rust issue – and I think that someone else discovered a little trick for that leaky gasket

It’s late here now, but I’ll look into tomorrow if you haven’t had the answer by then ….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Welcome to the forum and to legal street riding
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Howdy and a big TW welcome!
    Nice clean looking bike.
    Re-torqueing the cylinder and head has been reported to fix some of the base gasket weeping although the leakage might help prevent rusting that bottom plate you mentioned.
    About time for the 3,000 mile interval valve adjustment?
    Maybe fresher tires too? Bet those stock TrailWings look rather skinny compared to the BigWheel.

EDIT: That seems to be the stock 2006 TW skidplate. I seem to be one of the few fans of the elegant engineering went into this efficient energy dissipating unit and it's isolation mounts. Small as it may be it does it's job without transmitting nearly as much impact energy directly to the TW engine and frame as the popular Ricochet replacement skidplate.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-18-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    Ken likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by ZacoWacko View Post
    Well, figure i should do this the proper way, since my first post was in the classifieds (selling my BW to fund TW, lol).

Anyway got rid of my big wheel quickly, quicker than i thought i would. Dont worry, still have one more, lol

20171020_182036.jpg

And found this nice little TW a few days later. 2006 with 24xx miles, for $2k. I guess that a decent deal... Anyway, just got my motorcycle endorsement today (after riding without it for 20 years, ssshhh Now i dont have to worry on the back roads anymore.

Did notice the infamous lower gasket weep. Just a weep right now, so not going to worry about it too quickly. Also some rust in gas tank (whats best route for that, vinegar, evapo-rust?) Got it on the back of the truck on a HF carrier right now, will try to get a pic of that up later. Its been updated, now has steel bottom plate, seems solid. Also quick to load. Anyway, look forward to bugging all of y'all for your good info, lol...

20180412_185128.jpgreceived_10215615256919053.jpeg
    Welcome. Too clean. Said in a stressful voice (you) "must...get...it...dirty".

putt-putt likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

With that front tire it won't take long .....
    goldenhtr, Tweaker, Fred and 1 others like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Welcome to the forum from Eastern Ontario and as an added bonus a fellow 2006 owner.....Congrats!
    Tweaker likes this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

Good luck with your new toy!
    Many years ago I found this product (trying to remember name) made just for rusty tanks. I used it on an old CT-90 and it was amazing. You have to remove the tank and all it's fittings,
    clean thoroughly and pour this compound inside. Then you keep turning the tank over and over in all directions until it is evenly coated inside, let dry and voila new tank! This stuff was whitish seemed almost like a ceramic finish. Worked great!

Replace the base gasket with an updated 2010 TW gasket from Yamaha. I did that on my 2005 TW and works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Welcome to the madness

Someone will be along any minute to advise on the rust issue – and I think that someone else discovered a little trick for that leaky gasket

It’s late here now, but I’ll look into tomorrow if you haven’t had the answer by then ….
    I'd love to know the trick! Didnt see one with a quick search. Did see the write up on how to change.

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links