Ethanol
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol

I can't find regular gas without the 10% ethanol added... I read posts on this beloved forum where people are referencing non-ethanol gasoline... Can some of you still buy that? Is it at your standard run-of-the-mill gas station or do you have to go to a speed shop? I'm thinking its a regional thing maybe? I live near the city, but even when i go to central PA (fairly rural), i haven't see non-ethanol gas available.

Check out PURE-GAS.ORG
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

I know that here in AZ there's a chunk of the year where all of the gas has to be E10. I know that it's not ideal for the TW, but honestly I don't notice any difference. I guess I could fill up a 55 gallon drum with regular gas when it's in season and add fuel stabilizer to get me through the E10 months, but I just don't think it's worth the hassle to avoid the E10 gas which is good for something like 95% of the energy of regular gas anyway.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

N2o2diver... thanks for the link... very interesting. There is one station listed very close to me... I called and asked the attendant if their gas had ethanol added, and he said it does, but they do not have the 10% ethanol sticker on the pump. Almost all of the other stations listed in PA are out in the farmlands.

I have been using the ethanol fuel for more than a couple years in all my bikes and have not had a problem, but i don't know how much my mileage/performance could be suffering because I don't remember when they stopped selling regular gas.

My brother traded in his Triumph Speed Triple because he said the ethanol was "melting" the inside of his plastic gas tank.

Thanks for your reply DonBenito... My gear all seems to run fine on the E10, too, but there are complaints of this gas turning bad more quickly than regular gas.

If you start using non ethanol gas please report back what differences you notice.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Biggest difference for me is it's $4.99 a gallon and lasts all year in my generator

E10 fuel can hold up to .5% moisture without a problem. It is only when the moisture level exceeds .5% that phase separation occurs. It starts absorbing water as soon as it hits the first of many storage tanks on the way to your local gas station.

In my ranger and wife's escape on E-0 I can drive 225 miles till I hit the red, with E-10 I'm lucky to make it to 160 miles before I hit the red on the fuel gauge.

For the post below...

DonBenito

Not everyone is lucky enough to live somewhere with a lot less rain then the rest of us. But you do get the heat come summer.

On average, there are 286 sunny days per year in Tucson, AZ

In my part of the US On average, there are 130 sunny days per year so right off the bat you get 150ish more chances to ride then me.

Sadly it's been 25 days since my last ride.

But thats the PacificNorthWet for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewsclues View Post
    Thanks for your reply DonBenito... My gear all seems to run fine on the E10, too, but there are complaints of this gas turning bad more quickly than regular gas.

The TW tank holds less than 2 gallons. If you're not burning through 200 miles of gasoline before it goes bad then you aren't riding enough!

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but sometimes this business of E10 limiting a TW200 to 11.5 horsepower instead of 12 drives me up the wall.

The TW is a slow, torquey trail machine and that's all it's gonna be no matter what.

Dumping straight up rocket fuel in the gas tank isn't going to transform your TW into an R1, so my advice is run that E10 and be happy with the bike you have!

(or don't be and go and buy a bigger bike like I did! - The TW is great for the trails but pretty weak on the streets no matter what it's burning)

OK, I'm stepping down off of the soapbox now.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

I live in Central PA. Not many stations sell non ethanol based gas here. I think there is one station near Harrisburg. There is a web site posted on this forum that shows all stations that sell non ethanol gas. You could try to Google tw200forum/nonethanol gas stations.....I think!

I'm in the GA mountains. Two stations in our small town have pure gasoline.

It's about 10 cents a gallon (3%) more, but our cars get 12% better mileage so it's actually cheaper.

We have a LOT of gas engines: truck, jeep, 3 bikes, 2 4-wheelers, 4 chainsaws, pressure washer, rototiller, generator. Keeping all those running with ethanol gas that goes bad in a couple months would be a nightmare.

If you look at the ingredient list on packaged food, it's all made with petrochemicals.

But our gas is made out of corn.

Our country has gone nuts.

If you look at the ingredient list on packaged food, it's all made with petrochemicals.

But our gas is made out of corn.

Our country has gone nuts.

[/quote]

Haha it sure seems that way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links