Tips For New Riders
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi everyone. I've been itching to ride for a few years now and I'm finally ready to buy a T-dub - really excited. I've searched and found a few good tips to avoid scams, but what are some good questions to ask when buying? I've noticed some ads say 'pink-slip in hand', what does that mean? I haven't rode since I was a kid, it's going to be an interesting test drive. Can't wait to post pics of my AZ trips here.

Welcome. "Pink slip" is synonymous with "title" or deed. Buying a motorcycle is really no different than buying a car. Never pay full; or asked price. When was last ridden, started, oil/ filter change, is there anything wrong with it, why are you selling it; etc., etc.. Assess the seller. If they look like a mutt reconsider. If his teeth are nasty; the teeth in the transmission likely are too People lie. No it's true; they do. Look, listen, and feel. Trust your gut. Don't be in too much of a hurry. Look around, and be diligent abou checking places like Craigslist, and Cycle Trader every day. The early bird gets the worm. Trust your gut. Oh; did I say that already. Ride it; hard. Wring it out. Have a knowledgable friend with you. Trust your gut.

Welcome Avi,

Towards the bottom of this thread there are some posts with good information: Considerations

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Great name.

Welcome aboard.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

First thing I do when I go to look at something motorized is feel how 'warm' the engine is. Not so much on an automobile because now-a-days hard starting is pretty much a non-issue. On bikes, lawnmowers etc, a hot engine may mean someone just test drove it, or the seller wanted to warm it up so it starts ok for you. Hard starting is not a deal breaker but generally means lots of fooling around for you and you should be advised of that before hand by the seller. A warm engine might mean nothing more than a drive to the store to pick up something for the wife two hours ago, but I am wary of hot as it suggests the start was in preparation for my arrival. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
    First thing I do when I go to look at something motorized is feel how 'warm' the engine is. Not so much on an automobile because now-a-days hard starting is pretty much a non-issue. On bikes, lawnmowers etc, a hot engine may mean someone just test drove it, or the seller wanted to warm it up so it starts ok for you. Hard starting is not a deal breaker but generally means lots of fooling around for you and you should be advised of that before hand by the seller. A warm engine might mean nothing more than a drive to the store to pick up something for the wife two hours ago, but I am wary of hot as it suggests the start was in preparation for my arrival. Gerry

Great advice.

I'd like to add; I'd be hesitant about buying a bike if the owner won't let you go for a test ride - unless it's an expensive show bike or a 200+ hp superbike there's no reason to not let someone try it out if they show up on a bike of their own or bring some cash in hand.

Usually CL scams are dead obvious and easy to avoid - in my area I keep seeing the same one pop up - a 2003 CBR600RR in "like new" condition for $2300. It's gotta be abused or stolen, that's for sure. That or it's a shipping scam. Deal in person and be wary buying a really low priced bike. If something doesn't feel right, don't buy it.
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

Thanks for all the great answers, really helpful. I just missed a like-new 08 near LA for 2300, going to look at an 06 with 6K miles for 1800, been sitting for 2 years, tires look worn, think I'll offer 1600. I'd rather buy a low-milage 08 for 2300 than pay 1800 for a beat-up 06. Can't wait to ride!

My 08 has right at 6000 miles and my chain is shot. Look at the chain tensioner. If it is at 6 or more on the numbers it should be replaced along with the sprockets. Not a hard thing to do but maybe you can use this as negotiating tool.
    2008 TDUB

Quote Originally Posted by iowatdub View Post
    My 08 has right at 6000 miles and my chain is shot. Look at the chain tensioner. If it is at 6 or more on the numbers it should be replaced along with the sprockets. Not a hard thing to do but maybe you can use this as negotiating tool.

Thanks for mentioning that. I figured I'd have to replace some parts, but it'd be a good way to get familiar with my bike. Where are these numbers exactly?

numbers are located right where the rear axle bolts through the swing arm. The numbers are stamped into a piece of funny looking rounded metal. If anything, do a bunch of reading here in the forums. All of your questions have been answered if you know where to look. That being said, don't be afraid to ask either. All the members here are a great bunch. Good luck, get greasy, ride safe!
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links