Saying Goodbye to some Old Friends
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Saying Goodbye to some Old Friends

Saying Goodbye to some Old Friends

Well, maybe not goodbye as in pulling a band-aid off too quickly. But my MC boots and helmet have put in exceptional service and it's time for them to move on.
    At least as all-around everyday and every kind of riding gear items.

The helmet is an HJC that I bought 11 years ago. I have several helmets but this is my only full-face and it was quite expensive at the time, about $450.00-$500.00.
    Used to be rule of thumb that after 7 years you should retire a helmet. Now I understand it's something like 4 years? With replaceable shields and even innards/padding I've kept this baby going on-and-on.

I read some of the recommendations here and on a few other forums. I also like Bell in particular and the helmet I choose was the MX-9 Adventure MIPS. There was a wide range of prices that were confusing because the MX-9 was already critiqued in several threads and forums. The newest model has the MIPS system and for a few bucks more I'll take advantage of anything that might give me an edge with a head injury. Revzilla has a good video explanation of it, usually found on much more expensive helmets.

I have not worn it yet, this is primarily for trail and off-road but you do have the option of removing the top brim to use it as a regular street helmet.
    Not sure about that because it's very "Imperial Storm Trooper" look'in. But I'll be using it this coming weekend down in Maryland. Very nice fit to form. I ordered 1 size more than you need based on recommendations or you'll get Chipmonk cheeks and maybe a headache. After trying it on this was very good advice, fits perfect without being loose at all.

IMG_5298.JPG
    HJC: 11 years old, close to the end.
    Redwing Boots: 24 years old and many more to go. But looking sad right now (more on that later).

IMG_5274.JPG

IMG_5280.JPG

IMG_5282.JPG

IMG_5281.JPG

IMG_5278.JPG
    Luke, I Am Your Father!
    Last edited by stagewex; 05-02-2018 at 07:33 AM.

Just be care full. A new helmet can add up to 10 mental horsepower so don't go too fast before your used to it.

I recommend installing the white D-link handguards on your lightsaber.
    TWy to make a TWip to the TWails to make some TWacks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yes +1

Quote Originally Posted by imlost View Post
    i recommend installing the white d-link handguards on your lightsaber.
    Smitty Blackstone and Ken like this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

HaHaHa. Good one!

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    That helmet you bought is nice.
    What are you doing for boots?

I have a pair of Dianese Fulcrums I got at Cycle Gear. Fit great. Use them with merino wool socks.
    Ken and Tweaker like this.

The MX9 Adventure with MIPS will probably be my next helmet too.
    Ken and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    John in Nanaimo

2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards, homemade wind deflector, Manracks utility rack

Quote Originally Posted by Elvesus View Post
    The MX9 Adventure with MIPS will probably be my next helmet too.
    You know the amazing thing is that I was looking at buying the original MX9 because that was what all the recommendations were based on but even on Amazon it was listed at several vendors as being "obsolete". That was what was confusing. I did find one (1) in my size for as little as $54.00 which was incredibly surprising since they were $200+ a year ago. I didn't even know what MIPS was until I did more research. Truthfully I was more concerned with being able to get "parts" for the older and now obsolete MX9.

MIPS is not specific to Bell Helmet, many manufactures are offering it so you are not limited to just that brand if you have a difference preference.
    Last edited by stagewex; 05-03-2018 at 08:00 AM.

I bought the exact same helmet and like it. The only thing that I would change would be closeable air vents for when the weather is cooler...... I believe that you get a lot of bang for your $$$$ with this one.....
    putt-putt

So... for the new boots I'll have to say something about my present boots. First off they are just plain old Red Wings. They have been to hell and back over the years. Got them from way back in my Harley days and they are built like a tank. But using them more and more off-road they don't always come back to life the same way without tender-loving care. That includes washing, letting them dry and then a generous amount of leather conditioner so my feet can re-streach them to the original size.
    Last week on Monday I was riding in the Pine Barrens so the boots got soaked and covered with mud. On Sunday I did a 150 mile Poker Run on one of my street bikes and the boots had not only shrunk, but something was laying on top of them as they dried. There was a "dent" towards the front toe that even after 8 hours of riding never returned to its original shape. Pain in my right toe. Probably have to do the whole water ballon and boot in the freezer trick this time.

I had to get something specific or at least more useful for off-street. Was close to getting some MX boots but seemed too die-hard, at least for me. Came across the "Forma Adventure" which I could wear in both environments if I wanted to. They actually came via UPS last evening but I didn't get to open the box yet to check them out and try them on.

Old reliable(s). Without anything being hi-tech or fancy, these Red Wings will probably last longer than I will. I'll have to do a bit of work to bring them "back" once again.
    IMG_5299.jpg

Just the picture from Amazon's site. About $275.00. Lots of positive comments. Come in black and brown. I went with the brown. I wear a 12 so ordered 13's. I ride all Winter so wanted to make sure there was going to be enough room for heavy socks. They don't seem to come in half-sizes so I hope the jump from 12 to 13 is not too much? Certainly don't want them to be loose either.
    Buying boots or shoes on-line is such a crap-shoot.
    71pOtf+jXwL._SL1132_.jpg
    Last edited by stagewex; 05-03-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links