TW200 Hitch Carrier Help
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: TW200 Hitch Carrier Help

TW200 Hitch Carrier Help

Hi All,

I've reviewed all the threads I could find on the forum about hitch carriers and our TW's. I still have a few remaining questions..

The carrier will only be used on my Ram Promaster camper van. I'm hoping to have quick(ish) access to the back doors of the van. My garage there houses a variety of gear, and an outdoor shower.

Between the Ultimate MX Hauler and a standard hitch carrier, which is quicker to pull a bike on and off?

My idea right now is to go with the Ultimate MX. It looks like I can let the hydraulic jack down, and this would locate the bike far enough away from the rear doors to open them and have some access? Additionally, a low profile rack is important to me. I don't need something super overbuilt or for a 700lb street bike-this is the only bike I'll ever have on the rack. The Ultimate MX seems like it is the most minimalist. Any comments on this?

HOWEVER-some of you say that the Ultimate MX isn't ideal with the TW200. Sounds like I at least need the Ricochet skid plate and wider pegs?

There's a pretty cool swing away hitch accessory made by a small company called Rak Attach. I'm tempted to use this with either the Ultimate MX OR a standard moto hitch carrier. Anyone see a reason to use the Ultimate MX over a standard moto hitch carrier with the swing out?

Last-if anyone has pictures or general additional comments about low profile hitch racks, especially the Ultimate MX, it would be much appreciated. It appears many of the photos from old threads are broken.

Thanks!
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

I use the Ultimate MX. It is expensive, somewhat heavy (but, aren't they all). and it takes a bit of experience to use it correctly. However, it DOES work okay with a stock TW. A Ricochet shield and bigger pegs help but are not necessary. I have carried my TW both ways. Plus, it looks cool. It takes about 5 minutes to put the bike on and less than 2 to take it off.

Having said all that, I do not think I would buy another one. I did get mine for $300.00 on Craigslist. New they are $430.00.

I am looking for some pictures. Here is a link to a YouTube:
    jtomelliott49 and Fred like this.

I have owned both the Ultimate MX Hauler rack and a number of Moto Jack Racks, which are no longer available. Both of these racks are similar in function, but I much prefer the Moto Jack Rack and still own two of them. These types of racks are great if you only have one bike to transport and have a suitable vehicle to use it with.

Here are some pics of the Moto Jack Rack on my 4Runner. I will try to find some pics of the my TW on the Ultimate MX Hauler.

Moto Jack Rack 001.jpg

Moto Jack Rack 003.jpg

Moto Jack Rack 006.jpg

Moto Jack Rack 007.jpg
    Fred likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Attachment 172794
    One more thing. On my 2006 Ford F150, the "platform" sat very high. TW's are lower than most dirt bikes. The TW needed to either be lifted to get it on OR I had to backup to a slight slope to take up some of the height. The DR350 when right on. It's taller. The height is lower my new Ford Edge, so no lifting.

If you look closely at the photo you will notice the platform rides a a rather tiled angle. This is normal. It still bothers me a bit, however.
    Fred likes this.

I have the Ultimate MX hauler. It’s slightly too high on my tacoma so I have to lift and wiggle it a bit to get the bike on. I have the stock skid plate and pegs and works fine. It’s pretty quick to load and unload. Rack takes up little space for storage when off the truck. I’m happy with it but never tried the long tray model for comparison.

Edit. Just saw the link to the rack attach. Sounds like a good idea if it can really support 300 lbs. plus the weight of another rack.
    Last edited by Kermit; 05-03-2018 at 10:51 PM.

I have a motorcycle hitch carrier and love it. I use a Toyota Tacoma to carry my TW all over the place, just need to install some 50 dollar helper springs to keep back end from sagging. In my opinion they are the the way to go for the solo rider.

Only advice I have is to buy one made of steel, not aluminum. I repeat aluminum sucks for this application. There is to much rolling and flexing and aluminum will ultimately crack and fail. Steel although heavier is just better for this purpose as it allows some flex as the bike rocks back and forth on the hitch, which it will do no matter how much you stabilize it.

Expect to spend around $400 for a well built hitch carrier new. But a good steel one will last forever and are strong enough to throw a street bike on them if needed.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    What Class is your receiver hitch on your van? They are not all the same. I usually always recommend a trailer as the very best way to haul a TW or other motorcycles. However, if that's not an option for you, it's out. A TW is a heavy bike though at 280 lbs. wet, stock, and you have to consider that weight, plus the weight of the carrier, and what stresses on the hitch system that weight will produce while bouncing down the road. A hitch will have a Class Rating or a Weight Rating sticker on it telling the maximum tow rating and a maximum tongue weight rating. The tongue rating is factored as being downward vertical weight at the ball or hook position. A moto hitch carrier will often have the weight out further than the ball would be so having it stick out doesn't just produce vertical force but also a lever type force too. Think about it, check your weight ratings, and make sure you give yourself a good safety reserve. That's my 2 cents. Good luck. I hope that you find a good solution.
    devildog3521 likes this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Consider mounting the hitch on the front of the van.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    imlost likes this.
    Now Hidden Content on my 2nd TW - 2002 TW200 33k miles - 130 main 34 pilot - 244 Golden Boy Front - 34 BS rear - ATV Bar - New Rally Perches, Master Cylinder, and levers. This one may take a bit to whip into shape but we'll get there!

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyMack View Post
    Consider mounting the hitch on the front of the van.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    I have one on the front of my GM pick up and my TW rides up front sometimes.

Thanks all for the replies. Very helpful.

Is the ultimate MX or the motojack going to be my best solution for carrying the bike as close as possible to the vehicle? If not, is there a particular hitch carrier that holds the bike closer to the rear of the vehicle? I think I read somewhere that one of the benefits of the ultimate MX is that it holds the bike close to the vehicle, but I just want to verify with the TW.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links