Best cleaner for mud?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Best cleaner for mud?

Best cleaner for mud?

I know some don't care, but some probably do.

I generally try to keep them the bikes clean enough that they don't rust. Mud holds water and that equals rust. For me it's easy, It's generally a quick hose down and silicone spray on unpainted parts like the kick, shifter and clutch shafts after riding in the pines. It's clean sand mostly and where there is mud it washes off pretty easy. Not so much with the West Virginia Mud!

I washed my 2010 3 times today and it still dries to a mud colored coating the same as the new 2018 TW200, granted I like that color but not enough to ride a foe 2018.

Does anybody have this kind of mud? What do you use if you care enough to ride a clean bike generally?
    Ken likes this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

A hose won't do it. I'd use a bucket of clean (no soap) water after the hose. A simple cloth wipe, rinse in bucket but ring the dirty water outside the bucket. I've washed many nice cars with nothing but clean water, clean clothes, and a towel wipedown. Its the thin film of dirt left after the hose that offends you. I agree, dried mud equals rust, but not in New Mexico because we rarely have mud. . . . but when we do I wash and wipe it off. Stay on it.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Dawn dish soap in warm water, your favorite rag or sponge, and a tooth brush for the nooks and crannies. A pressure washer is also helpful, be careful of the chain and bearings, it will force the water into these and you'll have an early failure.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Water and time. Avoid too much soap and too much pressure. If your bike is crazy muddy (i.e. caked), park it on the lawn or wherever and put a sprinkler under it. Leave it on for half an hour, then move the sprinkler around to get the spots that didn't get clean, repeat this until most of the big chunks of mud fall off. When it's no longer caked grab a brush and some soapy water and go to work. Oil your chain afterward and park it somewhere where it will dry off.

Also, remember that it looks better with a little dirt in the crevices anyway. You want people who see it to be jealous of the good time you had, not impressed by the fact that your bike is showroom floor shiny.
    Ken, JerseyJeeper, joeband and 1 others like this.
    "What's 'dude'? Is that like 'dude ranch'?"

"Dude means nice guy. Dude means a regular sort of person."

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    Dawn dish soap in warm water, your favorite rag or sponge, and a tooth brush for the nooks and crannies. A pressure washer is also helpful, be careful of the chain and bearings, it will force the water into these and you'll have an early failure.
    Come on now Scotti. Have you really cleaned your bike with a toothbrush. I call BS. Lol

WV dirt is good luck
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    Come on now Scotti. Have you really cleaned your bike with a toothbrush. ..
    Well, I have! Just the chain though.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I use this product/degreaser...https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-5-Ga...565G/100619267

Dilute it 50% with water unless you are degreasing an engine block or something really built up. Dirt, mud, grease, oil just runs off and follow up with garden hose to spray off in a minute or two. Incredibly good cleaner! You can buy it in a small size to try out if you want but the big jug is so much value. All we use at home now as well only i dilute it even more for inside house.
    Ken, Tweaker and JerseyJeeper like this.

I use 50% castrol purple and pressure washer on the mud wet the surfaces first with water then spray the purple and pressure wash off asap the red mud might take several shots then I final hand wash with wash mit and dish soap and final de-ionized water now that I'm in a hard water area

I use front triple tree stand and rear axle stand so I can free spin the wheels with the hose
    Ken, Tweaker and JerseyJeeper like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

I use tooth brushes and mrs putt-putt's cotton tips on sticks for the hard to get to places......... (Admiral approved)
    Ken and JerseyJeeper like this.
    putt-putt

The Admiral just lays his down in a creek or puddle once or twice a year and that seems to give both him and Scoob the bath they both need.
    Ken, Tweaker, Fred and 8 others like this.
    Sometimes I really miss you, but then I can't remember where I buried your body.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links