Taking my baby out for a ride this week
Close

So my tw200 has been sitting in my garage for about 1 month and 2 days. I plan on taking it out for a ride either thursday or friday. Now since it has been sitting for a while, is there anything I should be looking for as far as bad signs or malfunctions?

What should I do? I usually fire it up and go riding. Should I idle it for a while?

The whole time it's been sitting the petcock was on 'off' However there was still gas in there which I haven't altered with. I just left it as is.

Lube the chain check the oil and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by trailway View Post
    Lube the chain check the oil and enjoy.

What would be the best way to lube the chain? It's relatively brand new. Bought it straight from dealer about 1.5 months ago with 256 miles on it. It's at about 1200 and still haven't done an oil change.

And what do you mean by check the oil? as in sit straight and look at the oil glass?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Since you've just got it and have put that many mile's i would go ahead and change the oil.

The oil that was in there very well could still be the break in oil put in there from the

factory. As far as the chain not knowing what kind you have i would suggest to you to go back

to the dealer and purchase your oil for it. While your there ask them some question's on maintenance.

They will try to sell you all kinds of thing's you didn't know you need. So beware but they will

hook you up with the right chain lube and you could make some friends that will be there to help

when you have mechanical trouble down the line.

Osheen, are you located somewhere in South Bay?

My reason for asking is that if you narrow your location down a bit you may find members close enough to you who can help you learn to do your maintenence, general repairs, etc. As Trailway has pointed out, it never hurts to make a friend or two at the dealer's, but you don't want to be at their mercy for the basics, either.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

fire it up and get engine warm. Change the oil and filter. Lots of opinions on oil but I like mobile one 4t. you should try to get in the habit of turning off petcock and letting engine run till fuel in carb runs dry. Another thing to do from time to time is drain carb with that screw at bottom. DONT overtighten it when done, just snug is fine. lubing chain and checking adjustment should be on your pre-ride checklist (should also lube chain before parking it but I often forget to do that or just to damn tired after riding...) just like checking tire pressure and engine oil level.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Will do guys. iI going to purchase the recommended oil too that you suggested

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Osheen, are you located somewhere in South Bay?

My reason for asking is that if you narrow your location down a bit you may find members close enough to you who can help you learn to do your maintenence, general repairs, etc. As Trailway has pointed out, it never hurts to make a friend or two at the dealer's, but you don't want to be at their mercy for the basics, either.

I live in los angeles, in the san fernando valley

Sponosred Links