Am I Too Heavy for the TW200?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi Folks,

I saw another thread of a guy who was concerned if he was too big for the TW200. In my case, it's not my height but my current weight that I'm concerned about. I've lost 50lbs since eating healthier and exercising but I have at least 40 more lbs. to lose to reach my goal. Right now, I weigh 250lbs. Am I too heavy for this bike? Would I be able to reach highway speeds (here in california 55-65mph)at a decent pace?

Any 250lb riders out there on this beautiful bike? Your experiences?

I'm going to test ride one this week....my primary usage will be commuting (34miles each way).

Thanks in advance everybody...I like the rest of you have fallen in love with this bike....even though I've yet to ride one.

Tony

People much bigger than you are enjoying the TW. What are the roads like on your commute? Is it city, country, highway? I ride to work everyday but it is only 4 miles of country road between 45-55 mph. If you need to go a long way on a busy highway everyday, I would get a bigger bike. There is really no reason you couldn't commute 70 miles a day on a TW though. A more comfortable seat or at least a seat pad may be in order.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Idk abou tthe weight I'm sure you would be fine.

However, I live in LA and this bike is not a highway bike. Ive tried on it, and I had it screamming in 5th gear. I felt so bad for the bike I took it off the highway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by n2o2diver View Post
    People much bigger than you are enjoying the TW. What are the roads like on your commute? Is it city, country, highway? I ride to work everyday but it is only 4 miles of country road between 45-55 mph. If you need to go a long way on a busy highway everyday, I would get a bigger bike. There is really no reason you couldn't commute 70 miles a day on a TW though. A more comfortable seat or at least a seat pad may be in order.

Thanks n20driver for the quick reply. it's good to know there are heavier guys out there still getting fun out of this bike (i'm presuming they're having fun). My commute consists of a 34 mile trek on main freeways (80\nimitz freeway)through heavy traffic. I figured this bike would be perfect in that #1. I could go trail riding again. #2 I could confidently and safely handle this bike through traffic. Most of my commute now (in my 2001 Jeep Patriot) is stop and go with average speeds of 40mph....it's killing me slowly.

I'm much more mature and wiser than when I last owned a bike for commuting purposes. Looking back, I should never had considered a Suzuki GSXR-1100 as a commuter. I really just need to go the speed limit and safely lane split. Your thoughts n20? Is the TW suitable for me? I'd like to stick with Dual Purpose...but want to avoid 650cc...those just seem too top heavy for me to handle on trails.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by osheen View Post
    Idk abou tthe weight I'm sure you would be fine.

However, I live in LA and this bike is not a highway bike. Ive tried on it, and I had it screamming in 5th gear. I felt so bad for the bike I took it off the highway.

thanks for the input Osheen! how many mph were you at in 5th gear? anyone else have commuting experience on the freeway that they can share? Thanks everybody...Osheen highlights one of my concerns and I'm afraid this bike just wouldn't be suitable for me. i wish there were an affordable dual purpose 400 out there...more accurately....wish Yamaha had a TW400.

just my opinion, but i wouldn't choose the TW for a daily commute vehicle on the nimitz. the bike can cruise at 60+/- but that isn't it's real sweet spot, and it doesn't give you much reserve speed or acceleration if you needed it in an emergency maneuver situation.

hey here's a guy that could offer you two different looks at a bike: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3437477200.html
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by cruzin38plymouth View Post
    thanks for the input Osheen! how many mph were you at in 5th gear? anyone else have commuting experience on the freeway that they can share? Thanks everybody...Osheen highlights one of my concerns and I'm afraid this bike just wouldn't be suitable for me. i wish there were an affordable dual purpose 400 out there...more accurately....wish Yamaha had a TW400.

No problem. Well since I'm 20 and i'm a speed freak, I had it up to 70 on the freeway, but that's about it. I was redline-ing it and I felt terrible about it. And it was literally screaming bloody hell.

If you're pro yamaha maybe you should look at the xt250?

If not, then your best bet is to look at Suzuki's dual sport line

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...spx?sc_lang=en

Quote Originally Posted by joe band View Post
    just my opinion, but i wouldn't choose the TW for a daily commute vehicle on the nimitz. the bike can cruise at 60+/- but that isn't it's real sweet spot, and it doesn't give you much reserve speed or acceleration if you needed it in an emergency maneuver situation.

hey here's a guy that could offer you two different looks at a bike: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3437477200.html

Thanks Joe Band! I'm glad someone familiar with the nimitz chimed in. it seems this bike would be perfect for small jaunts on the roads but not ideal for a daily commute. i'm looking at the wr250x as well...it's about 3000.00 more. i really would like to get into a dual.

Anybody else out there have experience commuting 30 to 70 miles per day on major freeways? A few more responses or input and I can make a better decision.

Thanks again Joe Band.

I would agree with Joe band, it wouldn't be my choice for any extended time on the freeway. Sure, if traffic is at a stand still it would be great for lane splitting. Eventually it gets moving though and I'm just not comfortable on the hwy on it. YMMV. I lived in So. Cal. for ten years so I understand the type of highway use you are looking at and I personally wouldn't do it on a TW. Others may be using it as such and could offer more advice. Doesn't Suzuki make a DRZ-400. I don't think a 650 would be to big, might be a good option.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

I don't think your weight would be an issue. As others have said, this isn't a good highway bike. I commute to work on my TW in a mix of 35 45 and 55 speed zones on a two/three lane highway. 45 is fine, but once I hit the 55 stretch I just feel like I'm in everyone's way, people passing me often while I have the throttle full open. I can do the speed limit in the 55 zone, but it is far more difficult to keep pace with traffic which is usually 60-65 which is not a safe feeling. If I were you, I would probably go with the WR, much better on the highway from what I hear.
    -Szj

2001 TW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links